Anxiety and Nurves sap my energy and stamina

standupfighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you guys ever get nervous or real anxious when you think about any combat sport? I have always had real bad anxiety and I get nervous sometimes from just thinking about mma or boxing or fighting. Latly its been really bad, bad to the point that my hands start sweating and sometimes my whole body shakes. I have brought it up with my doctor acouple times but all he said was that he could get me medication for it, I DONT WANT NO MEDICATION! I also noticed it saps my stamina and all my conditioning is goone out the window the second that horrible feeling starts up. Anyway what are your guys techniques or methods for handling or controling anxiety and nervousness?

Punch your quack doctor in the throat, master your emotions like a grown man, and go run LSD to accustom your system to prolongued periods of stress.

Do you fight? I get nervous and anxious before a fight, after it starts it goes away.

Yea ive had afew amateur boxing fights and I train out of a mma/boxing gym so I get to do both for the price of one. The weird thing is that i havent lost a bout but for some reason I just cant get the anxiety and crazy nurves out of my head

nervousness is common in "our" sports- especially the waiting before the fight. the only thing I can say is do it more and you will get used to it. I used to get very nervous before bouts, but felt less nervous once the fight started.

I also get this, I get nervous even when I just jog for some reason maybe I think I'm not gonna do well, and I get a wierd feeling and I think it DOES sap my energy

i combat adrenaline dumps with breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. look up the numerous mental toughness and anxiety before matches threads, too for more help.

I also get this, I get nervous even when I just jog for some reason maybe I think I'm not gonna do well, and I get a wierd feeling and I think it DOES sap my energy

There is no question that pre-competition anxiety does zap your energy, it is the equivalent of not breathing while you fight or compete or workout, we all know the importance of relaxation while in combat. The best way to handle this, as erskine777 eluded to, is to learn breathing and relaxation techniques akin to eastern meditation used by the ancient martial artists. Yoga or zen buddhist meditation techniques can clear your mind, help you focus on "emptiness" and lower your blood pressure which translates into less sympathetic "fight-or-flight" tone. This preserves your energy and becomes a successful way to handle the early signs of ensuing anxiety. Look up these techniques online, they are abundant and simple. Good luck and know you are not alone.

Do you guys ever get nervous or real anxious when you think about any combat sport? I have always had real bad anxiety and I get nervous sometimes from just thinking about mma or boxing or fighting. Latly its been really bad, bad to the point that my hands start sweating and sometimes my whole body shakes. I have brought it up with my doctor acouple times but all he said was that he could get me medication for it, I DONT WANT NO MEDICATION! I also noticed it saps my stamina and all my conditioning is goone out the window the second that horrible feeling starts up. Anyway what are your guys techniques or methods for handling or controling anxiety and nervousness?

It really all depends on many things in your life; one would need your case study to give you proper advice.

Anyways, when you get anxious your sympathic nervous system is running on high (it takes lots of energy), this was used when we lived in the savanna running from predators. Anxiety is a normal human condition that we all experience; those who don

" go run LSD to accustom your system to prolongued periods of stress."

Ha - this is either the best advice ive ever seen on sherdog or the worst- remains to be seen

Try losing all of your fights, that's helped me a great deal.

Y'know, nothing to lose and all that. It's like the Hagakure says, die a thousand times every morning (in your mind) as soon as you wake. You'll soon fear nothing from your enemy.

Of course the Hagakure also says

"Before you attend an important occasion, apply spit to your earlobe and then breathe in deeply through your nostrils. Then go out. Kick every object you come across. This is the secret.

Again, when you feel dizzy, apply spit to your earlobes and you will come to your senses instantly."

So uh, grain of salt.

Ok I'll leave the thread now!

I think you7 need to fight again, and man up through it beforehand.

My problem is the shit at work gets me so jacked up by the time I get to the gym I feel like shit and have no energy. I am going to try those relaxing techniques anyone have alink to some good ones?

My problem is the shit at work gets me so jacked up by the time I get to the gym I feel like shit and have no energy. Soemtimes I jusy dont go cuz im so stressed. I am going to try those relaxing techniques anyone have alink to some good ones?

My problem is the shit at work gets me so jacked up by the time I get to the gym I feel like shit and have no energy. Soemtimes I jusy dont go cuz im so stressed. I am going to try those relaxing techniques anyone have alink to some good ones?

The basic one you would read about in the lit is very simple.

1) find a quiet dark area (mind-folds & ear plugs work well)

2) sit or lay in a very comfortable position and close your eyes.

3) breath in for 3 seconds and out for 3 seconds. just focus on your breath for now.

4) after about 10 minutes of this or when you feel relaxed start to think about the stress full situation.

5) if you fall asleep, that usually means you need sleep, so go with it.

hey bro, i have dealt with probably the worst case of an anxiety dissorder...i have tried many things to help it and what i find works the best is training your mind to change the way it handles your thoughts... pick up a book called mind over mood...it will teach you how to effectively curb your nerves and anxiety by blocking negative thought patterns that lead to distorted moods.

hope that helps

Back