Anton Kuivanen guarantees "Fireworks" at UFC 157 Versus Chiesa

HerpDerp

ambitiously unambitious
@Black
Reaction score
The Finnish UFC fighter Anton Kuivanen was recently interviewed by Joona Pylk

Personally I believe Anton will be too big for Chiesa to control or takedown from the clinch. The only way Anton can lose the fight is if he gets afraid of Chiesa's takedowns and completely shuts down while standing up. The same thing happened with Justin Salas and to a lesser extent against Mitch Clarke, who he did batter up pretty well though.

Anton.Kuivanen.ufc_.jpg

I hope he thrashes Chiesa, really don't like that guy.

I hope he thrashes Chiesa, really don't like that guy.

I'm derailing my own thread a bit, but I must ask, why do you dislike Chiesa? He seemed like a pretty down to earth guy on TUF.

hmmm he promises fireworks yet his first two fights were lackluster.

We'll see, but I think Chiesa will grind out a decision....a lackluster one that is.

I dont care who wins really...just hope the fight will be better than what Im actually expecting

Finnish guys are tough!
It's a country with lots of talanted fighters from the lower weight classes from what I could remember.
If he guarantees fireworks, there probably will be.

I think Chiesa continues his streak of first round submission wins.

I want Anton to do well, I believe he still hasn't showcased his skills very well inside the octagon. Maybe if he gets by Chiesa they'll give him someone with poor wrestling to see if his stand-up really is good enough to start making some small waves, or at least move a little bit up in the division.

Nothing against Chiesa, but I hope Anton smashes him. Tall order, though.

I hope Anton takes this, a win over TUF winner would really boost his position in UFC.

hmmm he promises fireworks yet his first two fights were lackluster.

We'll see, but I think Chiesa will grind out a decision....a lackluster one that is.

I dont care who wins really...just hope the fight will be better than what Im actually expecting

His fight agains Mitch Clarke was a fun one. Had some exciting grappling exchanges IIRC.

Is he walking into the cage with a box of black cats and some roman candles or something?

UFC has so many shows now I honestly don't think I've seen either fighter fight. Kind of crazy cuz I'm used to knowing everyone on the card.

Dont see how you could dislike Chiesa as a bloke, seemed very down to earth on TUF and the heart of lion to fight through to winning the show on the back of his dad dying.

But as a fighter, yeah, he can be boring as hell. Kuivanen could win a UD or stop him.

His fight agains Mitch Clarke was a fun one. Had some exciting grappling exchanges IIRC.

You do realize that Mitch Clarke may be the worst LW in the UFC. Kuivanen should be finishing guys like this, but he just has not looked impressive at all thus far. Kuivanen has a golden opportunity to earn the upset, but based on how he couldn't put away Clarke and struggled against Salas, I don't like his chances.

Usually when someone says that, they shoot for a takedown real quick. Hoping he beats the odds.

Usually when someone says that, they shoot for a takedown real quick. Hoping he beats the odds.

There is about 0.0001% chance that Kuivanen will ever shoot for a takedown unless he is hurt. Atleast not against fighter like Chiesa, Antons grappling is really poor.

Dont see how you could dislike Chiesa as a bloke, seemed very down to earth on TUF and the heart of lion to fight through to winning the show on the back of his dad dying.

But as a fighter, yeah, he can be boring as hell. Kuivanen could win a UD or stop him.
He's not boring. He's just not very good at anything so it's hard to get hyped for his fights.

He's not boring. He's just not very good at anything so it's hard to get hyped for his fights.

He reminds me of a bigger, stronger Cody McKenzie to be honest. His frame makes him a tough task for most LW's. Actually, if Justin Salas can beat Kuivanen, Chiesa can too - bigger and stronger, better submissions. I'll probably stick a few quid on whoever is the underdog.

Actually, if Justin Salas can beat Kuivanen, Chiesa can too - bigger and stronger, better submissions.

There's no doubt that Chiesa indeed has decent chances of winning, but I don't think you can base the prediction on Kuivanen vs Salas entirely.

Chiesa takes people down mainly from the clinch, which actually is Kuivanen's strong point, whereas Salas prefers going for singles and doubles.

Chiesa has a big heart and I was blown away that he won the show because I didn't think he was very good at all. That being said, I don't think he gets far in the UFC unless he drastically improves.

Back