Antibiotics and steroids on performance

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
I’m currently prescribed amoxicillin and methylprednisolone for having a tooth removed.

I’m supposed to spar my friend who we have been talking shit to each other for the past month. Super serious business. Told him I was gonna teabag him after I whooped him.

Is this gonna effect my performance? Should I delay the boxing match?

I’m currently prescribed amoxicillin and methylprednisolone for having a tooth removed.

I’m supposed to spar my friend who we have been talking shit to each other for the past month. Super serious business. Told him I was gonna teabag him after I whooped him.

Is this gonna effect my performance? Should I delay the boxing match?

It's gonna affect the effectiveness of the antibiotics if you go hard as hell. And if you get cracked in the mouth and your gums start bleeding again where the tooth was extracted it may take ages to heal if you end up with dry socket. Every post you make it sounds like you're so overextended, yet unwilling to take any sort of break to let your body actually recover and heal from your injuries. That must be exhausting.

Personally I wouldn't go right back to hard sparring with my shit head friends after having oral surgery. I'd spend a couple weeks away from hard contact if that were the case. You're your own person, do whatever you want.

It's gonna affect the effectiveness of the antibiotics if you go hard as hell. And if you get cracked in the mouth and your gums start bleeding again where the tooth was extracted it may take ages to heal if you end up with dry socket. Every post you make it sounds like you're so overextended, yet unwilling to take any sort of break to let your body actually recover and heal from your injuries. That must be exhausting.

Personally I wouldn't go right back to hard sparring with my shit head friends after having oral surgery. I'd spend a couple weeks away from hard contact if that were the case. You're your own person, do whatever you want.
Hahah thanks for noticing. I try to be smart but it’s just so hard. I’m doing my best to improve. The game evolves quick and I don’t have much time left in this sport.
But the sparring thing is ok I asked the dentist the last time I went in and he said I could realistically spar the day after if I wanted. He said just don’t eat chips or anything that will damage where the tooth was. My tooth is broken from forgetting to wear a mouth guard so they are just removing it for now.

But yeah my friend is a good boxer but hasn’t trained in years, while I’m in great condition but need to improve my boxing. My biggest advantage is my conditioning so I don’t want to lose that

But what do you mean going hard is going to reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics? Like weaken my immune system?

Hahah thanks for noticing. I try to be smart but it’s just so hard. I’m doing my best to improve. The game evolves quick and I don’t have much time left in this sport.
But the sparring thing is ok I asked the dentist the last time I went in and he said I could realistically spar the day after if I wanted. He said just don’t eat chips or anything that will damage where the tooth was. My tooth is broken from forgetting to wear a mouth guard so they are just removing it for now.

But yeah my friend is a good boxer but hasn’t trained in years, while I’m in great condition but need to improve my boxing. My biggest advantage is my conditioning so I don’t want to lose that

But what do you mean going hard is going to reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics? Like weaken my immune system?

Yeah, kinda. Meaning that if you're really pushing your body while fighting an infection they might not be as effective because of the additional stress on your body from pushing hard workouts. If the dentist says it's ok then trust his judgement. But also trust your body. If something doesn't feel right then stop to rethink things before really wrecking yourself.

It seems like the antibiotics you're taking is to prevent an infection, rather than treat on ongoing one, so you're probably ok. Some antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone family can weaken connective tissue and there are people that have had tendon ruptures while taking them. But you're on amoxicillin so that's not really a concern. I usually get some diarrhea from antibiotics so that's usually why I shy away from hard workouts while taking them. Don't wanna crap my britches during a hard leg workout.

Yeah, kinda. Meaning that if you're really pushing your body while fighting an infection they might not be as effective because of the additional stress on your body from pushing hard workouts. If the dentist says it's ok then trust his judgement. But also trust your body. If something doesn't feel right then stop to rethink things before really wrecking yourself.

It seems like the antibiotics you're taking is to prevent an infection, rather than treat on ongoing one, so you're probably ok. Some antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone family can weaken connective tissue and there are people that have had tendon ruptures while taking them. But you're on amoxicillin so that's not really a concern. I usually get some diarrhea from antibiotics so that's usually why I shy away from hard workouts while taking them. Don't wanna crap my britches during a hard leg workout.
Hahah ok. Yeah it’s just preventative so my body isn’t messed up. I hope I don’t shit my pants

Eat yogurt, keffir, sauerkraut, kimchi, or some other probiotic food to help offset the drain that amox will have.

Personally I feel a bit more dry and tired when on amox.

Ended up not taking either the antibiotics or the steroids after the first day. The steroids was for swelling but idc about that and the antibiotics were preventative and I was reading it’s not even proven to work for what I have. Ended up beating up my friend so it all worked out. Woo!

Ended up not taking either the antibiotics or the steroids after the first day. The steroids was for swelling but idc about that and the antibiotics were preventative and I was reading it’s not even proven to work for what I have. Ended up beating up my friend so it all worked out. Woo!

You at least wore a mouthguard this time, right?

Right?

Back