Anthony Yarde to fight Sergey Kovalev

Yarde looks like he'll be fighting Kovalev in Russia in June or July if the reports are true. I think it's a tough matchup for Yarde even though Kovalev seems to be over the hill after getting beat by Ward and KO'd by Alvarez in their first meeting.

https://readboxing.com/2019/04/13/yarde-agrees-terms-for-kovalev-fight-in-russia/

It’s a fckin tough division when kovalev is the weakest link!

He’s probably not ready for this but i dont think he could knock it back. The other champions are killers and not on the slide. This is his best shot at being champion. He’s probably gonna take a boxing lesson but he definately has a punchers chsnce. would like to have seen him in with Callum Johnson before fighting the best LHWs. Not sure he beats Johnson in all honesty?

Kovalev is twice the fighter but has one foot in retirement so as above stated, best shot he has.

I'd favor Kovalev but then if he makes a half arsed effort then anything can happen.

yarde is incredibly impressive. he may wilt under the pressure but if he performs to the best of his capabilities, he could stop kovalev.

Unpredictable stuff. If Kovalev shows up as good as he was in the Alvarez rematch he boxes Yarde’s ears off, but he may have dropped a notch.

Kovalev seems like an unstable person and is bouncing from trainer to trainer so he's going to always have that question mark above him for the rest of his career but is still very capable of showing up and looking really good. I'm not familiar enough with Yarde to know how good he is though.

Kovalev seems like an unstable person and is bouncing from trainer to trainer so he's going to always have that question mark above him for the rest of his career but is still very capable of showing up and looking really good. I'm not familiar enough with Yarde to know how good he is though.
unproven but very coordinated and athletic. struggles to get around a good jab but that will come with time. he hasn’t been training for very long.

Smart for Kovalev to have it in Russia too, as long as it isn't a complete one sided shut out, he'll win decision regardless. That said, this new Kovalev we saw in his last fight wins this 116-112 I think.

unproven but very coordinated and athletic. struggles to get around a good jab but that will come with time. he hasn’t been training for very long.

Big issue against a guy with an excellent jab like Kovalev, though.

Yarde may have a raw puncher's chance for the first three or four rounds but after that, he fades badly. I think Kovalev schools him & stops him in about six rounds. Kovalev is a bit past his best but he's too much, too soon for Yarde.

Yarde may have a raw puncher's chance for the first three or four rounds but after that, he fades badly. I think Kovalev schools him & stops him in about six rounds. Kovalev is a bit past his best but he's too much, too soon for Yarde.
Strangely enough yarde seems to gas fairly easily even when he is boxing efficiently. It think his physiology isn't really suited to long fights.

Strangely enough yarde seems to gas fairly easily even when he is boxing efficiently. It think his physiology isn't really suited to long fights.

I think that’s to do with his cut. He’s a bit too big for lw but probably on the small size for a CW

Bit soon this, but a good match up on paper. I’d have kovalev a favourite, but still yardes best shot at a high profile win in the division.

Seems like a common consensus, too soon for Yarde and Kovalev despite being past his prime should take this, especially as it's in Russia.

Big issue against a guy with an excellent jab like Kovalev, though.
no doubt. sergey is gonna have to use that early and often. yarde struggled with averlant’s jab whenever he decided to use it. i don’t know if he’s improved enough in the year since that fight to really get around it. stylistically, yarde reminds me of a far more hittable errol spence. kovalev’s jab and right hand are probably too much for him right now though.

Back