Anthony Smith vs Volkan, LHW Implications

who you got

• Total voters

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
It has been booked Smith will take on Volkan in October. As a result we have some things to talk about.

The obvious question, who do you have winning?

Now, on top of this fight I believe there are title implications for smith if he knocks out Volkan. I think Volkan is a harder sell to D.C. Since he already lost, but I can see a world where Anthony grabs another beastly ko and Lesnar gets tied up by Usada.

Do you think Anthony smith has what it takes?

I'm wondering if Smith is more of a technical striker than Volkan.

Never seen Anthony fight, but Volkan got abused so badly by DC its hard to bet on him.

I'm wondering if Smith is more of a technical striker than Volkan.
He looks to be, Volkan has crazy power from the clinch but his stand up looked pretty sloppy vs DC. I'll be rooting for Smith

I could be wrong, but I don't see anything in Smith that tells me he can beat the elites of the division. He just slept two completely washed up fighters and now he's Rumble 2.0?

I think Volkan sleeps him quickly and brutally.

Thiago Santos beat Smith, so Volkan will murder him.

I could be wrong, but I don't see anything in Smith that tells me he can beat the elites of the division. He just slept two completely washed up fighters and now he's Rumble 2.0?

Yeah I mean I don't knock him for it because it was short notice for rashad, but I think shogun was a game opponent. This is his first real test though, everyone knows volkan is legit, so if he pulls this off it opens the gates and this kid becomes top 5 talent

i've got volkan. anthony seems like a journeyman who's on a nice little run right now, like george sotiropoulos in 2009-2010. i'm happy anthony's getting paid, but its hard to say him knocking out 2 washed up dudes makes him a legit contender. neither really have anything for DC

Thiago Santos beat Smith, so Volkan will murder him.
Santos is a beast, and it was at a different weight class.

I will say santos is another fighter I could see moving into LHW and having a lot of success

Yeah I mean I don't knock him for it because it was short notice for rashad, but I think shogun was a game opponent. This is his first real test though, everyone knows volkan is legit, so if he pulls this off it opens the gates and this kid becomes top 5 talent
Yeah but he had durability issues at 185 and his striking technique isn't great either. I know weight cutting diminishes your chin and all, but I'm not sold in the slightest.

Shogun had a war with Villante (lol) where he got rocked several times in addition to having yet ANOTHER surgery so I'm not surprised he was completely shot.

I thought Volkan was dubbed Rumble 2.0 since he also trains with em
And let's be honest here, beating 2 ex champions by devastating knockouts is still more impressive then knocking out journeymen in Cirkunov and Manuwa

I thought Volkan was dubbed Rumble 2.0 since he also trains with em
And let's be honest here, beating 2 ex champions by devastating knockouts is still more impressive then knocking out journeymen in Cirkunov and Manuwa
Not even slightly, what on earth are you talking about?

Rashad lost to Dan Kelly ffs, beating Dennis Siver is more impressive than beating him at this point. Shogun had another surgery after getting concussed by Villante (albeit still winning) so how exactly is beating those two more impressive than beating Cirkunov and Manuwa?

Misha and Jimi would absolutely smoke Rashad and Shogun at this point.

Not even slightly, what on earth are you talking about?

Rashad lost to Dan Kelly ffs, beating Dennis Siver is more impressive than beating him at this point. Shogun had another surgery after getting concussed by Villante (albeit still winning) so how exactly is beating those two more impressive than beating Cirkunov and Manuwa?

Misha and Jimi would absolutely smoke Rashad and Shogun at this point.
Ok but before D.C. Volkan was on a huge run and had some pretty gnarly kos just different kinds of kos then what smith was getting

Ive been following Smith's career prior to the ufc. He's an overachiever. What he lacks in skill he makes up in heart. Either guy can land the ko but volk seems to be the heavier handed of the 2. Anyone bringing up dc remember, one that's the two division champ, and 2 Smith's not the wrestler DC is not even close. He can land that punch and be a threat to anyone in the division

Great matchup and it'll tell is where both fighters fit in. Volkan after being manhandled by DC could rebound in fashion and Smith could cement himself as a real contender with a win. I'm gonna have to take Volkan tho, his knockout power seems more legit and his striking looks crisper.

stupid to be honest

it means dc isn't going to defend his lhw belt till next year if the dc/brock fights get made

Fight needs a interim title.
I think that's a stretch, I want to see D.C. Book his next fight and if he makes it clear it's gonna be hw and he won't defend that's fine. But what I've heard from him right now is he wants someone to create a story/hyped fight, he's at the end and he doesn't want just some dude. I think if Smith ko's Volkan he may take that fight

Back