Anthony Smith and Kurt Holobaugh signed

BionicCommando

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet so if so, I apologize. Apparently that's the word. Both Anthony Smith (who lost to Roger Gracie) and Kurt Holobaugh (who lost to Pat Healy) got UFC contracts after their losses on the final Strikeforce card. This is from their respective sponsors:

Per Victory Sports:

Another Victory Champion gets signed into the UFC. Congrats Anthony Smith, you've worked hard and DEF earned this!!!

Per Lex McMahon:

Even in defeat, @kurtholobaugh earned a victory. Congrats on your @ufc contract. Much deserved. http://instagr.am/p/UgZHYxoxhh/

So.... Does that mean Roger and Healy are in the UFC as well?

Probably. You'd have to assume guys like Smith and Holobaugh, essentially facing a wasteland, jumped at the first offer they got from ZUFFA to make the transfer over. Might take longer to sign the guys coming off wins.

Both these got paid 10k or under. Roger got 94k and Healy 42k i think - those discussions will take a bit longer

Holobaugh had a bad gameplan but looked fantastic.

Didn't get to see their fights but did hear Kurt put up a good fight. Smith seems like a journeyman but he's only 24 so there's still some hope for him.

Surprised about Smith...I mean, the dude barely outstruck Roger in the first round while we all know Roger's striking is awful.

Good for him I guess but I think he wont last for long in the UFC

Happy about Holobaugh though, looked great vs Healy even if he took the fight on short notice.

Holobaugh can do well.

Smith doesn't have the chin or TDD to go far in the MW division.

Still, congrats to both fighters.

Well, this means Roger and Pat will sign with the UFC, too. Roger Gracie vs Palhares would be fun to watch.

[QUOTE="Rush";78465859]Both these got paid 10k or under. Roger got 94k and Healy 42k i think - those discussions will take a bit longer[/QUOTE]

True. Forgot about those variables.

UFC kinda scraping the bottom of the bucket here. Neither of these guys are going anywhere.

I've no doubt seen the average talent level drop.

Well, Holobaugh came in short notice above his weight, so those guys usually get one more chance. Smith I suppose, is only 24 so perhaps they see potential. Losing the next fight will see either cut though.

Don't think either should really be getting signed, but it's not like there aren't worse fighters already..

UFC kinda scraping the bottom of the bucket here. Neither of these guys are going anywhere.

I've no doubt seen the average talent level drop.

Nothing wrong with the UFC not at least giving em a shot with Strikeforce shutting down. If they don't perform, they'll get cut like everybody else. No big deal.

If Anthony Smith was signed than hopefully Adlan Amagov will be signed to.

Good to see Kurt Holobaugh get signed. He was pretty much brought in to lose and gave the top contender at SF a good fight and overall looked good.

Kurt Holobaugh made a fan out of me in the Healy fight. Dude is a badass. He seems well rounded and showed no fear of Healy's ground game. And not only did he put on such a good performance on short notice, but on the day of his wedding as well.

I had no idea that he usually competes at Featherweight. Great prospect for a division that's full of them.

Not as confident in Smith's chances, but he's still young and didn't do poorly against Gracie. Never been to decision in 26 fights so it's not surprising that the UFC would be interested. He could be impressive a few years down the road, I think he deserves the opportunity.

Back