Anthony Pettis on new teammate CM Punk: 'He's going to do great in the sport'

Still a joke to the hardcore fans

They signed a guy with no experience and that needs time to be ready,

So what? UFC would be better if they start building their own fighters from the bottom.

It's pretty clear CM Punk is trying to be as respectful about it as is possible. He knows how it looks with him coming over and getting fights, especially after similar complaints he made in the WWE. He seems like a good guy, I have no reason to dislike him, hope the best.

Is anyone surprised he doesn't train with Pettis, Askren and other top fighters. The guy is an amateur and they have nothing to gain unless he is paying them all

I think you need more than a good attitude to do well in MMA.

Maybe...

Some people won't be happy unless a teammate says he sucks.
It must piss some dolts off that SO FAR most of the actual fighters have been encouraging towards Punk.

But I will say this in advance:
after awhile it will get annoying for guys like Pettis to get Punk questions over & over

It's pretty clear CM Punk is trying to be as respectful about it as is possible. He knows how it looks with him coming over and getting fights, especially after similar complaints he made in the WWE.

You are misinterpreting the comments
He was talking about how a guy like The Rock came in & took the top spot at Wrestlemania that the guys that worked all year for deserved & then beat WWE's main guy (Cena) & how that hurts in the long run.
If Dana ask GSP to do a job to Punk at UFC 200 then it is similar.
The last 3 Mania's Punk lost the Main Event spot to The Rock 2x & a returning Batista (who left WWE & came back to pre-promote Guardians Of The Galaxy)

Last edited:
Well, part of the battle is being humble so you can be open to learning new things. If he came in with delusions he was already a bad ass he'd probably be humbled after the fact.

Now it's a question of if he possesses the requisite intelligence to grasp what he's taught and the athleticism plus poise to utilize it. I think he does have the former attribute from what I've heard and observed, as far as the latter ones, at least in terms of athleticism, that's where I'm kind of a skeptic. I watched the documentary about his pro wrestling adventure, and his trainers there at the beginning even remarked he was a below average athlete from what they see, so he couldn't execute the moves right away like some of their other more gifted individuals. But his attitude led to him developing over time. That's what I'm guessing happens here, and he is a respectable mixed martial artist, which alone would prove a lot of people wrong. But his athleticism or lack there of, as well as long-term training, will put a cap on his success to where you figure this is a short-term run when he starts facing above typical bottom of the barrel UFC guys. 1-2 beatings after that against guys who can win some fights in the UFC actually and he's out I think.

Regardless, I'm intrigued to see how this goes, and I think you should root for the guy. He had the courage to ditch the glory of fake fighting for the real thing, and he's seemingly not disrespecting the sport. It's an honorable move.

You are misinterpreting the comments
He was talking about how a guy like The Rock came in & took the top spot at Wrestlemania that the guys that worked all year for deserved & then beat WWE's main guy (Cena) & how that hurts in the long run.
If Dana ask GSP to do a job to Punk at UFC 200 then it is similar.
The last 3 Mania's Punk lost the Main Event spot to The Rock 2x & a returning Batista (who left WWE & came back to pre-promote Guardians Of The Galaxy)

So how is a big name wrestler coming in and taking a spot away from a full time wrestler different than Punk coming in with a big name and taking a spot away on a card from a fighter who put in much more work?

So how is a big name wrestler coming in and taking a spot away from a full time wrestler different than Punk coming in with a big name and taking a spot away on a card from a fighter who put in much more work?

Is Punk booked to beat GSP at UFC 200?
No .....

Is Punk getting an unwarranted title shot in his first match?
No ....

If GSP or Rampage or whomever came to WWE & trained their ass off for a year & they took a spot on the undercard of a WWE PPV & Punk complained then it is the same

Too many annoying voice mannerisms. What's up with that?

A few details to keep in mind:

Things get really interesting if the laser power is 100 mW or more. Less than that, and it's pretty hard to burn or ignite objects.

Also
[YT]0laf7XR_QAo[/YT]

A million things have been said about CM but the only thing that's relevant in my eyes is the fact that he's 36.

Is Punk booked to beat GSP at UFC 200?
No .....

Is Punk getting an unwarranted title shot in his first match?
No ....

If GSP or Rampage or whomever came to WWE & trained their ass off for a year & they took a spot on the undercard of a WWE PPV & Punk complained then it is the same

Yeah. People seem to think otherwise but I seriously doubt that they plan to have CM punk go anywhere near legit competition.

1. When the moments with The Rock, and Batista occured, there were other guys in the middle of a push, which was killed to give the spot over to the part timer. In this case, nobody had anything to gain. None of Rock's return matches were "great" and nobody was given an opportunity from it. Same with Batista.

Compare to CM Punk in UFC: There are already plenty of guys on the lower card who have limited experience, or bad records. He will be another one. Also, if he increases PVP sales bigtime, that will increase the paycheck of everyone who does fight on that card. Lastly, his opponent will get a chance; a chance to beat someone "known" which will draw interest in that person's fights in the future.

Punk joining UFC does a positive in each area where the WWE comparison did something negative.

2. I bet every fighter complaining about CM Punk getting a chance to fight in the UFC would do anything, ANYTHING to fight on the card he fights on. They will want to fight on the card with high ratings.

In WWE, the cards (Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania) has symbolic importance to the industry. That is why performers want to get the big spot so badly there. But in the UFC the big spot isn't determined by one yearly symbolic card, it is determined by a card with high ratings and interest. CM Punk will help draw interest into whatever event he fights on. Batista/Rock did not add further interest to the events they performed in, which would have had about the same level of interest without them.

Back