Anthony Pettis: No more Mr Nice Guy

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Former WEC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis (15-2) says he’s done sitting back and waiting for his UFC title shot. Amid reports that Gil Melendez (21-2) is getting an immediate title fight against Benson Henderson (18-2), ”Showtime” said it was time he got the respect he deserved. Pettis told MMA Weekly he believed his fight with Donald Cerrone (19-4) should be a #1 contender bout.

“Me and Duke (Roufus) just had this discussion last night. You hear all the stories and I have friends texting me that Eddie Alvarez is going to get a title shot, or (Gilbert Melendez) is going to get a title shot. I mean, I’m to the point where I’ve just got to prove it … Line them up and I’m going to knock them down until I get that title shot … If you look at all the guys you mentioned and the competition they’re fighting, me and Cowboy are the guys that have been fighting the hardest competition. I mean, we’re in the UFC with the best of the best; we’re in the trenches. You’ve got the two best guys in the UFC. I feel like me and Cowboy are right at the top, and the winner of this fight should be next in line for a title shot … No more Mr. Nice Guy. I sat there and tried to play that role, ‘oh the title shot’s going to come, I’m going to sit and wait for it.’ I’m taking it this time … I’m going to get the respect I deserve.”

From www.mmaliveshere.com

Last edited:
this really is one of my most anticipated fights in a long time. can't wait.

I would be pissed too if I had to wait on two more fighters to get their shot before I did.

"I mean, we’re in the UFC with the best of the best; we’re in the trenches."

I like Pettis but this comment is bs. Dude has only fought three times in the UFC and one of those was against Jeremy Stephens.

pettis got robbed in that fight
cat.gif

He should be pissed. I don't think Gil or Eddie deserve the shot just yet.

IF Pettis beats Cerrone then he can do the "sit out" and wait for a shot at bendo or gilbert.

I like Pettis but this comment is bs. Dude has only fought three times in the UFC and one of those was against Jeremy Stephens.

true. also don't think he'd be saying the same thing about "guys from other orgs coming over / we're in the UFC and we're the best" if Maynard / Edgar 2 hadn't been a draw and he'd actually gotten his promised title shot.

His situation coming from WEC was essentially the same as Gil's, only Gil has a richer resume.

Yes! Pettis needs to fight some of the elite of the division.

It must be frustrating to watch guys who have been fighting in softer leagues jump to the head of the line for unification or promotional reasons, but Pettis and Cowboy haven't exactly been smacking around top 5 guys.

It's definitely a better approach to fight your way to the top instead of simply just waiting your turn.

It must be frustrating to watch guys who have been fighting in softer leagues jump to the head of the line for unification or promotional reasons
You mean like Pettis was supposed to do after he won the WEC title?

You mean like Pettis was supposed to do after he won the WEC title?
Not saying it doesn't work both ways; he's just on the rough end of that annoyance now. I don't feel bad for Pettis so much as I don't like the immediate title shots holding up a stacked division.

"i'm tired of sitting and waiting?" um... i'm pretty sure your ass was injured. not waiting for an imaginary title shot.

and i'm pretty sure pettis/cerrone already have a fight scheduled. Benson & melendez however do not. Does he expect benson & the LW championship to wait for him? is he that full of shit? or maybe duke roufus & his friends are putting these ridiculous ideas in his head.

Here a thought: Beat cerrone, and ask for the winner of aprils championship match? at worst hes jockeying with 1 other guy (alvarez) for next dibbs. Not exactly johny hendricks/jim miller levels of waiting

Back