Anthony Pettis is just too good right now

That209

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
He said that he won't need more than 5 minutes to take care of business against RDA, and I believe him.

RDA is a hell of a fighter. He's become twice the fighter he was before in just a few short years, but Pettis is just too damn good right now. He's too good on the feet, and his ground game has come along amazingly.

I think the toughest fight in the division, stylistically speaking, is definitely Khabib. But if Khabib can't get the job done, then I don't see anybody taking the title from Pettis for a very long time, or maybe he'll even keep it until retirement.

If Pettis beats RDA and then fights Khabib and Khabib can't take him down, I'll be amazed. Pettis' TDD has clearly improved so much since the Clay Guida fight, but if Khabib can't get him down, if he can't even get him down, that right there is just insane.

Khabib has some of the best TD's like.. ever. His TD's are incredible. But seriously, if Pettis' TDD has improved that much that not even Khabib can get him down, then I think it's a lock, nobody will be taking that title from Pettis because no fucking way will anybody beat him on the feet.

I know anything can happen and look, Anderson Silva got knocked out and that guy, people thought he was invincible. He was clowning his opponents and finally he got knocked out. But with Pettis, he doesn't really seem to make mistakes. He doesn't mess around, he's strictly business in the cage and he does everything just too damn well.

I've always been a fan of Pettis. I remember watching him back in WEC like a year after I got into MMA (I started watching in 2009) and telling my dad about him during his fight with Benson, I told him, "watch this guy, this guy has crazy kicks" and onto the 5th round, Pettis lands that "showtime kick". It was insane. I remember getting off the couch and sitting on the floor, closer to the TV, lol.

I don't know. I just can't see anybody beating him right now. I thought Melendez was going to be able to give him hell but Pettis looked sensational in that fight. Melendez really brought it but Pettis just outclassed him and sunk in that submission out of nowhere, something that has never happened to Gil in a fight inside the cage before.

RDA is legit. He's a threat to anybody and yes, for sure, he has the tools to win but I think Pettis is going to get another impressive victory and I think he takes it in the first round via KO/TKO.

I don't see anybody taking that title from him. Pettis' biggest threat is Khabib because of those TD's and crazy top control, but I honestly see Pettis beating him, too. 25 minutes is a very long time in terms of a fight, and I think Pettis takes him out eventually but it will be a tough one.

I'm glad that Pettis has become the champion due to the fact he's just so damn entertaining. He just looks better and better with each performance, I just wish he could fight more. Hopefully he doesn't get anymore injuries and he can keep racking up those wins.

TL;DR - I don't see anybody beating Pettis right now because he's too damn good.

A great wressler will take him out.

Just a reminder, we have Cowboy vs. Benson coming up, RDA beat both of them. I think he will be game against Pettis but lose. Pettis should remain focused though because RDA ain't no joke.

hell I think Pettis could be the WW champion imo.

thats how good i think he is.

Last edited:

It isn't that easy though.

Pettis has shown some serious improvement with his TDD and even if you get him down, he's still extremely dangerous there. And the fact the fight is 25 minutes.. having to take Pettis down and hold him there that long.. that's a long time. It's not going to be easy to avoid his stand-up and not get hurt at least once within 25 minutes, not with the Pettis of today.

Had it been Pettis a few years ago, I'd agree but he's shown that he can hang with the best wrestlers in the division and beat them with submissions, as well as tool them on the feet. Don't forget that his ability to get back to his feet has clearly improved as well. It's not easy to hold that guy down.

And didn't he say he felt he was winning against Guida off of his back due to all the activity? I don't remember. Either way, he learned from that fight and he's just been squashing everybody with serious ease since then, even better wrestlers than what Guida was/is.

He's already beaten two of some of the best wrestlers in the division and did it easily, and did it with submissions. That's gotta count for something.

Well Henderson and Gilbert have already tried that smothering style and it clearly doesn't work. You're just being hopeful now. Lol

Khabib Nurmagomedov is on a totally different level when it comes to grappling. The problem for Khabib is that every round starts on the feet and he seems to have some trouble finishing fights which gives Pettis at least 5 opportunities to catch him standing.

Khabib Nurmagomedov is on a totally different level when it comes to grappling. The problem for Khabib is that every round starts on the feet and he seems to have some trouble finishing fights which gives Pettis at least 5 opportunities to catch him standing.

Couple kicks to the ribs and his grappling may suffer. Khabib is for real but I don't think he beats Pettis.

his striking is so fast, moves like a whip but hits like a hammer. crazy to see. crazier to see morons who would rather have Khabib as champ instead of a destroyer like Showtime.

his striking is so fast, moves like a whip but hits like a hammer. crazy to see. crazier to see morons who would rather have Khabib as champ instead of a destroyer like Showtime.

I enjoy watching Khabib put on a grappling clinic on people just as much as Pettis' striking.

Khabib vs Abel was so good to watch.

If it was a few years back in the past, sure. But hes made amazing improvements on his wrestling defense, and his submission game is world class. Hes going to be almost impossible to beat. His greatest threat isnt a fighter, its his own injuries slowing him down just like dominick cruz.

I think Khabib and Aldo both beat him. He will wreck RDA though.

Pettis is a better striker than Aldo by far

Honestly, this cannot be established until they fight. I find Aldo better but I also know it's only my opinion and I'll find out if they actually ever fight. They are both at the very top.

Honestly, this cannot be established until they fight. I find Aldo better but I also know it's only my opinion and I'll find out if they actually ever fight. They are both at the very top.

Sadly it will never happen

pettis is amazing I think rda is his biggest threat style wise because he does have a punchers chance but pettis is to well rounded

If Aldo beats both Conor and Edgar and Pettis beats RDA and Khabib, I think it can happen for real. It's still a long shot though.

Very long shot. Conor will beat Aldo. Maybe after losing the rematch he will move up to LW

Back