Anthony Pettis: "Barboza will actually show up to fight."

Alvarez fights with a different style than Anthony wants or expects, so there Alvarez didn't come to fight? Ok, if you can't handle something someone throws at you, you either learn how to handle it or shut up about it.

Anthony "Rampage" Pettis

Pettis came to fight Alvarez came to wrestle
alvarez came to wrestle, pettis came to lose

so is he saying that if he gets taken out of his game plan and taken down, its not a fight? join kickboxing or boxing ... i love when strikers gets wrestled to death ... then say it wasn't an actual fight

Pettis won his last fight - 1 and 2 rounds was his

Ahhh, the old "I´m just a decent wrestler, so most good wrestlers will beat me, so they aren´t real fighters cause they want to use my weakness against me" bullshit.

Well, I´m a Pettis fan, but comments like that just rubs me the wrong way.
It´s like random BJJ guy goes "all these standup fighters aren´t real fighters, now my next opponent is fucking proper, cause he will go to the ground with me and grapple"

Fuck off and work on that wrasslin´ of yours! =)

Nothing wrong with neutralizing someones striking with rasslin, but judges sholdnt reward wall n stall (if u constantly hold someone without any intention of actually doing any damage).

I'm not gonna hate on Alvarez, but he was barely competing in the sport aspect of mma.

Sure he was holding on to Pettis, but he was incredibly unimpressive IMO.

It was like watching a basketball team score a few lay ups and then play keep away in there own end.

No shot clock in mma though.

There didn't used to be a shot clock in basketball but when teams did precisely what you're talking about, they instituted one, and rightly so. Bob Cousy was one of the worst offenders but said that the shot clock ending up saving the league. There should be rules against "lay and pray" strategies in all pro sports.

Alvarez came to win.

Gif of Pettis from the interview:

pZoo1.gif
LOL even as a fan of his I agree. Dude just sounds bitter.

It's not semantics. No wrestler has ever trained to get into an over/under position solely to hold somebody up against a wall and throw pitter patters. Alvarez won because he had a good game plan and a good build against Pettis, who is physically too weak to get off the cage (it didn't help that he backed up straight, but it wouldn't have changed much).

I don't even like Pettis that much, he's wasted potential at this point of his career.
I'm obviously talking about MMA wrestling, not freestyle. Of course an MMA fighter should train to keep from being clinched up against the fence and avoid being cut off... Its not Eddie's fault that he's better than Anthony in that regard. He was smart for fighting that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back