Anthony Joshua's opponent announced at 18.00 UK time - predictions?

Martin booked...who else would it have been? Parker was a good fight but that's all it is. Martin was most likely going to cruise to a W in his title winning fight but an injury is not how you like to see a title awarded.

I've only seen Martin a hand full of times, and am still astonished that he some how became a champ in the division. Joshua should handle him within five.

I hope Martin gets credit if he wins. I dont hear that AJ was being rushed and shit excuses. This a even fight but think AJ could pull it off with a DEC.

No suprise that it's Martin. great opportunity for josh after such a short career. Would've been foolish to fight fury or wilder with such little experience. If he does win the belt then a fight with haye won't be far off. That'll be a great fight

Hope the winner man's up and fight Breezy next. He earn his shot after beating down Mansour.

Charles Martin is the worst heavyweight champion I've ever seen.

At least this fight ensures that he's not going to hold a belt for much longer and continue tarnishing the HW division.

I expect Joshua to make quick work of him.

At least this fight ensures that he's not going to hold a belt for much longer and continue tarnishing the HW division.

At least he is fighting a quality opponent unlike Deontay Bum Squad Wilder. This right here gives me much more respect for Martin.

At least he is fighting a quality opponent unlike Deontay Bum Squad Wilder. This right here gives me much more respect for Martin.
I think he's cashing out. His team realizes that he's as good as he's ever going to be and it's either he loses to Joshua for big money, or any other HW in the top 20 for less.

I mean let's be real here, we're not talking about a guy in Martin who's going to make multiple title defenses. He's a one and done paper champ.

my biggest concern over this is not Martin as an opponent, but the fact he may then have to fight guys who i think may be too experienced for him very early in his career due to mandatory defences

its going to be a steep learning curve but at least he is willing to take it

i think he was also looking at fighting Stiverne, who i consider a harder fight than Martin

Is the HW division the most exciting division again?

If its Charles Martin then Joshua is going to sleep

Is the HW division the most exciting division again?

Potentially I think it is.

Though it could just as easily end up like one of the smaller divisions where all the top guys only boast about fighting each other with no follow through.

It's kind of offensive to heavyweight boxing that he is champion. He will get knocked stiff here though. Softball for Joshua.

I think all the major players in the HW will fight each other.

Back