Ante Delija joins pfl

they're paid for their fights during the regular season
Sure, but suppose they have bills in the meantime? I'd hate to think they're taking out loans with interest while waiting to fight. And then, suppose they're injured before the season starts and can't even take part? Or injured in the opening round and can't finish the season? That happened a lot last season. I'd think that they'd want more avenues to make money while they're sitting and waiting for the next season to start.

They get paid for individual fights.

No, if you are signed for the season you cannot fight elsewhere until you are eliminated, but not before that.
I don't like it. Read my last response to executioner.

Sure, but suppose they have bills in the meantime? I'd hate to think they're taking out loans with interest while waiting to fight. And then, suppose they're injured before the season starts and can't even take part? Or injured in the opening round and can't finish the season? That happened a lot last season. I'd think that they'd want more avenues to make money while they're sitting and waiting for the next season to start.
It's 4 months man, wtf. Most UFC/Bellator fighters stay inactive for much longer than that.
An athlete who just fought 3-5 times in a year probably wants these 4 months off, to rest, to recover, to travel etc.
Of course they have bills, but MMA fighters don't spend their purses in one or two months, most fight twice or three times a year, so staying 4 months without getting money isn't any absurd, nothing new.
If you're injured before the season starts, you're off the tournament and then you can fight elsewhere. It happened to Denis Goltsov for example if i'm not mistaken.

It's 4 months man, wtf. Most UFC/Bellator fighters stay inactive for much longer than that.
An athlete who just fought 3-5 times in a year probably wants these 4 months off, to rest, to recover, to travel etc.
Of course they have bills, but MMA fighters don't spend their purses in one or two months, most fight twice or three times a year, so staying 4 months without getting money isn't any absurd, nothing new.
If you're injured before the season starts, you're off the tournament and then you can fight elsewhere. It happened to Denis Goltsov for example if i'm not mistaken.
Idk man. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Could you imagine how little people would care about Bellator if they'd done things this way instead of keeping things going all year when they were still in the tourney format? They still don't have a ton of traction, but I can't think they'd have as much as they do if they weren't constantly pushing cards back then.

Another thing that I don't think is wise is doing all of this in the same time frames as NFL, NBA, college football, college basketball. Any potential new fans won't watch PFL over those sports. It would make sense to have these events in late spring/summer, when MLB and the end of the NBA season is going on.

The more I think about these things, the less confident I am that PFL ever succeeds at all.

Idk man. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Could you imagine how little people would care about Bellator if they'd done things this way instead of keeping things going all year when they were still in the tourney format? They still don't have a ton of traction, but I can't think they'd have as much as they do if they weren't constantly pushing cards back then.

Another thing that I don't think is wise is doing all of this in the same time frames as NFL, NBA, college football, college basketball. Any potential new fans won't watch PFL over those sports. It would make sense to have these events in late spring/summer, when MLB and the end of the NBA season is going on.

The more I think about these things, the less confident I am that PFL ever succeeds at all.

But does the second half a year with all the ball games seasons affect MMA as much as you describe?
Because according to UFC or Bellator rankings and scheduling, it doesn't seem so.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't biggest events from UFC fall on the year's end?

BTW Bellator used to do it too. They had one spring season and one autumn one. And the autumn one usually got bigger.
Dunno how the ratings were, but I myself really liked Bjornator much more than Bellacoker.

But does the second half a year with all the ball games seasons affect MMA as much as you describe?
Because according to UFC or Bellator rankings and scheduling, it doesn't seem so.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't biggest events from UFC fall on the year's end?

BTW Bellator used to do it too. They had one spring season and one autumn one. And the autumn one usually got bigger.
Dunno how the ratings were, but I myself really liked Bjornator much more than Bellacoker.
I would think it does affect things. The biggest UFC cards on on Saturday, when there is usually a huge NCAA football game going on in primetime on ABC and/or ESPN. Even PFL doing their thing on Thursday gets fucked off some, bc there are NFL games on Thursday nights. There are NBA games during that time every night. NCAA games as well. Their target audience is like men 18-40, and most men that watch sports in the states love football or basketball. Now, it isn't to say that people won't skip a game to watch a huge star like Conor, or Floyd. Of course they will, those guys aren't on every week like the Patriots or the Cowboys or the Heat. I guess what it all boils down to is that there really aren't enough stars in MMA. The NFL has like 100. People wanna watch Tom Brady go out and smash records and win Super Bowls. I don't even like the guy and I still watch. No one cares about Anthony Smith vs Volkan Ozdemir. Regular Joe's would flip channels and see those guys and wonder, "Who are these bums? Where's Conor?"

And I take into account too that people have so many sports to watch in the fall, on so many days, they have to take or leave a lot of them. Most people aren't going to watch a sport every time it's on, bc they already did three other times this week and they have other shit to do. Established sports and organizations don't have to worry about it as much, bc if one fan doesn't watch, there are millions more who will. MMA is different, bc there aren't that many fans. In a country of 300+ million in the States, like 300k will order a UFC PPV. Not good numbers. Like ~200k will watch a free Bellator card on Paramount. Any random NFL game featuring the Cleveland Browns will get tens of millions of viewers.

Thus whole discussion makes me sad. It really hits home that our sport has a huge uphill battle for a long, long time. How in the fuck did K1 get 30 million people to watch Bob Sapp fight a Sumo?

And that is a segue into my next point, one of these orgs need to bite the bullet and let Justin Timberlake fight a pro wrestler or a baseball player. It's the only way.

I would think it does affect things. The biggest UFC cards on on Saturday, when there is usually a huge NCAA football game going on in primetime on ABC and/or ESPN. Even PFL doing their thing on Thursday gets fucked off some, bc there are NFL games on Thursday nights. There are NBA games during that time every night. NCAA games as well. Their target audience is like men 18-40, and most men that watch sports in the states love football or basketball. Now, it isn't to say that people won't skip a game to watch a huge star like Conor, or Floyd. Of course they will, those guys aren't on every week like the Patriots or the Cowboys or the Heat. I guess what it all boils down to is that there really aren't enough stars in MMA. The NFL has like 100. People wanna watch Tom Brady go out and smash records and win Super Bowls. I don't even like the guy and I still watch. No one cares about Anthony Smith vs Volkan Ozdemir. Regular Joe's would flip channels and see those guys and wonder, "Who are these bums? Where's Conor?"

And I take into account too that people have so many sports to watch in the fall, on so many days, they have to take or leave a lot of them. Most people aren't going to watch a sport every time it's on, bc they already did three other times this week and they have other shit to do. Established sports and organizations don't have to worry about it as much, bc if one fan doesn't watch, there are millions more who will. MMA is different, bc there aren't that many fans. In a country of 300+ million in the States, like 300k will order a UFC PPV. Not good numbers. Like ~200k will watch a free Bellator card on Paramount. Any random NFL game featuring the Cleveland Browns will get tens of millions of viewers.

Thus whole discussion makes me sad. It really hits home that our sport has a huge uphill battle for a long, long time. How in the fuck did K1 get 30 million people to watch Bob Sapp fight a Sumo?

And that is a segue into my next point, one of these orgs need to bite the bullet and let Justin Timberlake fight a pro wrestler or a baseball player. It's the only way.

Unfortunately, our sport stopped developing in around 2014. And from 2016, the most important org in MMA belongs to people who have no interest in watching the sport grow, as they see it only as a time slots cheap filler.

Maybe PFL will change the landscape? Maybe that's what these investors plan?

Unfortunately, our sport stopped developing in around 2014. And from 2016, the most important org in MMA belongs to people who have no interest in watching the sport grow, as they see it only as a time slots cheap filler.

Maybe PFL will change the landscape? Maybe that's what these investors plan?
Well, I wish them luck. I like their product. Just worried that, like most of the other orgs I've liked, it will fade away before it's even found its footing.

Back