antarctic ice melt now irreversible scientists say

rindan***

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Vast glaciers in West Antarctica seem to be locked in an irreversible thaw linked to global warming that may push up sea levels for centuries, scientists said on Monday.

Six glaciers, eaten away from below by a warming of sea waters around the frozen continent, were flowing fast into the Amundsen Sea, according to the report based partly on satellite radar measurements from 1992 to 2011.

Evidence shows "a large sector of the West Antarctic ice sheet has gone into a state of irreversible retreat", said lead author Eric Rignot of the University of California, Irvine, and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

The coastal ends of the glaciers rest on bedrock below sea level, holding back a vast weight of ice and making them vulnerable to melt, he said. He likened the process to uncorking a full bottle of wine while it was lying on its side.

This part of Antarctica would be a major contributor to sea level rise in coming decades since the glaciers hold enough ice to raise sea levels by 1.2 metres (4 feet).

Last week, another study also suggested a part of the far bigger ice sheet in East Antarctica may also be more vulnerable than expected to thaw. The IPCC says it is at least 95 percent probable that warming is caused by human activities, led by the burning of fossil fuels.

The findings contrast with a paradoxical expansion of the extent of ice floating on the sea around Antarctica in recent winters that the scientists said may be part of natural variations. "The changes in the glacier reflect much longer-term processes," Tom Wagner, a scientist with NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington, said in the telephone briefing.

https://news.yahoo.com/west-antarct...haw-raising-seas-study-233139917--sector.html

how is global warming still a debate boggles the mind

I guess it's a toxic combination of gradual effect that has no immediate consequence, the complexity of the issue where people are easily misled by well funded opposition, and the inability to accept the facts because of partisan politics

But I guess over 97% of world scientists are all part of some grand conspiracy

With all of this melting how far has the sea levels risen so far? in the last decade or two?

Serious question.

they said this so many times, i'd like to think we are under water

There are many, many factors in determining what the truth is.

The Club of Rome talked about using climate change to act as an external enemy to unite people (similar to how the war on terror works to scare people) back in the 90's. You can count on a steady stream of scare tactics because that is the formula they always use to bring about changes in societies thinking and behavior.

Also, geo engineering has been being worked on for a very long time.

Without a doubt the whole thing is political, but the only question remaining is that what is causing the climate changes and how much of it is scare tactics and how much is legit.

Last edited:
Vast glaciers in West Antarctica seem to be locked in an irreversible thaw linked to global warming that may push up sea levels for centuries, scientists said on Monday.

Six glaciers, eaten away from below by a warming of sea waters around the frozen continent, were flowing fast into the Amundsen Sea, according to the report based partly on satellite radar measurements from 1992 to 2011.

Evidence shows "a large sector of the West Antarctic ice sheet has gone into a state of irreversible retreat", said lead author Eric Rignot of the University of California, Irvine, and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

The coastal ends of the glaciers rest on bedrock below sea level, holding back a vast weight of ice and making them vulnerable to melt, he said. He likened the process to uncorking a full bottle of wine while it was lying on its side.

This part of Antarctica would be a major contributor to sea level rise in coming decades since the glaciers hold enough ice to raise sea levels by 1.2 metres (4 feet).

Last week, another study also suggested a part of the far bigger ice sheet in East Antarctica may also be more vulnerable than expected to thaw. The IPCC says it is at least 95 percent probable that warming is caused by human activities, led by the burning of fossil fuels.

The findings contrast with a paradoxical expansion of the extent of ice floating on the sea around Antarctica in recent winters that the scientists said may be part of natural variations. "The changes in the glacier reflect much longer-term processes," Tom Wagner, a scientist with NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington, said in the telephone briefing.

https://news.yahoo.com/west-antarct...haw-raising-seas-study-233139917--sector.html

I guess it's a toxic combination of gradual effect that has no immediate consequence, the complexity of the issue where people are easily misled by well funded opposition, and the inability to accept the facts because of partisan politics

But I guess over 97% of world scientists are all part of some grand conspiracy

The world is coming to and end and the first thing you bitch about is people who argue about how much man has had to do with climate change.

Shouldn't you be trying to get some tang right about now?

they said this so many times, i'd like to think we are under water

Because the ocean is gigantic and it doesn't work like that... there will be a gigantic rise in sea level, but it's going to take several decades for it to actually stabilize and rise.

all i know is that half of the US is in a drought and my state is almost either in a extreme drought to exceptional drought.

Because the ocean is gigantic and it doesn't work like that... there will be a gigantic rise in sea level, but it's going to take several decades for it to actually stabilize and rise.

So we have decades for humans to figure out a way to find a use for excess ocean water. If we can't figure that shit out then we deserve to be ended.

I've always wondered why we can't find a way to pump the excess ocean water out to places in Africa. Desalinate it and give people cooking, drinking, bathing water.

I understand that it may effect fish life as well, but we will have to deal with that as well.

The world is coming to and end and the first thing you bitch about is people who argue about how much man has had to do with climate change.

Oh well human life would end one day anyways.

So we have decades for humans to figure out a way to find a use for excess ocean water. If we can't figure that shit out then we deserve to be ended.

I've always wondered why we can't find a way to pump the excess ocean water out to places in Africa. Desalinate it and give people cooking, drinking, bathing water.

I understand that it may effect fish life as well, but we will have to deal with that as well.

Desalination is a very expensive way to acquire potable water. Currently only the oil rich Arabian Gulf uses it in a major way, because of the cheap oil.

Aside from the technical issues , even if there was a cost effective way to pump the water to Africa, that water when it eventually comes down as rain has to go somewhere.

Shouldn't you be trying to get some tang right about now?

The world isn't coming to an end. Even if we pumped massive Co2 into our atmosphere and created a massive runaway greenhouse gas effect, like Venus, the Earth would continue to circle around our nearest star just like it has for the past 4.5 billion years.
The issue is will the Earth be habitable to humans.

The world isn't coming to an end. Even if we pumped massive Co2 into our atmosphere and created a massive runaway greenhouse gas effect, like Venus, the Earth would continue to circle around our nearest star just like it has for the past 4.5 billion years.
The issue is will the Earth be habitable to humans.

Thanks Sheldon,

Since you are socially awkward, I'll tell you this.

When most people say the world is coming to an end, they mean humans being wiped out. Who gives a shit if the earth is still around, if we are not.

Climate-Model-Comparison-1024x921.png

oh.

..oh.

waterfront property for everyone!!

actually with all the clowns carrying the water for the administration there probably won't be any left for the rising seas

Sure, instead of trying to prevent this, let's just cross our fingers and hope we find a way to prevent the rise in water. Great!

Sure, instead of trying to prevent this, let's just cross our fingers and hope we find a way to prevent the rise in water. Great!

But if it is IRREVERSIBLE

then it's to late to try and stop it. We need to figure out how to deal with the consequences.

But if it is IRREVERSIBLE

then it's to late to try and stop it. We need to figure out how to deal with the consequences.

Yeah, because we ignored scientists and kept going on our stupid ways when we COULD have prevented this ten years ago... now we're just going to step up to the plate NOW. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

Sorry, I'm pretty pessimistic.

Is now the time to buy more Real Estate further inland, or even the eastern Canadian hinterlands like in Nova Scotia? Yes that is pretty much all I think about.

Back