Another variable to last night's controversy: Miragliotta waved off the fight when time expired.

GrantB13

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Time it. He doesn't wave the fight off until exactly at the end of the fight and the horn failed to sound. What are the rules for waving off a fight after the fight and not just a round Like Machida/Thiago Silva? There was a fight exactly like this at one time where it wasn't called a KO unless I'm mistaken. The final strike was thrown at 4:56, yes, but you absolutely cannot say that if the ref said "Keep fighting" and Rozenstruik turned back around that ANYTHING could have happened. There's a difference between INITIATING an attack with 4 seconds left and CONTINUING an attack on a fighter who has already been taking shots. There was no time. Askren was out before 5 seconds, but that's when the ref stopped it. Aldo was out before 13 seconds, but that's when the ref stopped it. How could the time have expired but call the fight 4 seconds before it actually happened?

Last edited:
Was wondering this last night aswell

Sick cut tho , point me in the direction of a thread with shit like that

There was a fight exactly like this at one time where it wasn't called a KO unless I'm mistaken.
giphy.gif

Reyes vs OSP. Reyes KOd him at the bell and it wasnt called off because he woke up and walked back to his corner.

Every ESPN card on the network itself has a main event with a weird controversial ending it seems.

I am looking forward to the 30 for 30 episode that exposes the UFC and explains what all is happening behind the scenes.

I agree. The strike was thrown with 4 seconds left and it was definitely 4 seconds before it was waved off. I was wondering if they paused the official timer or something like they would if the ref called a time out.

You can see Dan yelling stop as he’s running in then watch his right hand when he reaches Reem. The fight was over right then and there.
He did the second “wave off” because Overeem had no idea what was going on because he was out of it and so Dan had to show him it was all over.

Last edited:

You can see Dan yelling stop as he’s running in then watch his right hand when he reaches Reem.
He did the second “wave off” because Overeem had no idea what was going and so Dan had to show him it was all over.

Wasn’t out

He should of fell to his back and defended instead of trying to stand / wobble right away

SOme idiots are arguing that the fact that’s he was rocked / wabbling it’s enough to call off the fight

He got caught at 4:56, got up, stumbled and the ref called the fight. It’s really close to the 5 minute mark. Smart move by Roz to raise his hand in victory as he had no time on the clock to actually finish Reem off. That cut was nasty, solid performance by Reem besides the last 5 seconds.

tv round time is unofficial. that could be the issue, unless the 10 second warning lined up with tv time

he was calling it off as he ran over, just that he postponed it because Overeem got up, but then Alistair ran away from his opponent and Dan realised the fight had ended while he was still on his back against the cage.

CarelessLittleAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

ConventionalScrawnyEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

SmugMadeupGrayreefshark-size_restricted.gif

Back