Another State Tests Welfare Recipients for Drug Use, And...

I read something recently that showed when people were asked to do some work or take some classes is when enrollment really dropped. Like 80% or so.

It wasn't this exact article but I believe this is the story I read.

http://qpolitical.com/maine-just-pu...very-american-needsto-see-what-happened-next/
vw-ohsnap.gif

That is what happened in Florida. The testing facilities were owned by the governor's wife. The used to be his, but he turned them over to her, when he became governor, to avoid a conflict of interest.
Rick Scott stole billions from medicare but somehow got elected governor.

Yes indeedy. That Florida shenanigans is exactly why I think welfare drug testing is just cleverly disguised heist of public funds.

I swear to god we need an army of Lester Freamons out there that just follow the money all day long and arrest the crooks who stole it as often as possible.

People lose their shit over welfare yet corporate handouts, subsidizes and bailouts is more serious by orders of magnitude. Let's get angry proportionally to the problem.
In their minds, EVERY single person on Welfare is a lazy moocher with their hand out - and every corporation is made up of "job creators" who poor people simply blame unjustifiably for their problems. Forget the facts, they're all just made up because surely every single person who is poor spends their money on weed and 40's.

While I don't feel this should be part of the criteria for welfare, I also don't believe for a second that only ~1% of welfare recipients are on drugs. Something very fishy is happening in these testing programs (not that I'm opposed to that).

I tried reading that story, but stopped. Thats a really shitty hacks blog. Anything from a site worth a shit?

Unless you're saying they made up the numbers (but didn't run your own search to confirm it?) I don't see how the source matters here.

having stricter work requirements will fix the people mooching.

Those numbers have to be false too, any subset of the population would test higher than that, especially poor people ffs. Cmon son

The problem is it's insanely easy to pass a drug test. It's not hard at all. If they can't watch you pee? Then it's pretty much on the drug user if they want to fail the test or not.

People lose their shit over welfare yet corporate handouts, subsidizes and bailouts is more serious by orders of magnitude. Let's get angry proportionally to the problem.

I say this all the time to people and they just keep posting their stupid FB meme's about "If I get drug tested at work then so should you".

The problem is it's insanely easy to pass a drug test. It's not hard at all. If they can't watch you pee? Then it's pretty much on the drug user if they want to fail the test or not.
plus i have no idea if they're doing gas spectrometer or whatever tests, or those simple dipsticks ones....

at my recruiting station, i once witnessed a dude fail four dipsticks in a row, then pass the next three....all in like a three hour time period

Sheeit, I call BS. You'd get a higher pop rate in a random elementary school. What are they testing for, PCP only? You may want to test for weed.

ps: Al Sharpton is in the video. As a standard procedure, I will have to disagree with that fucking whackjob. So the government spent money, who cares. They piss billions into the Potomac every day, now you're upset?

a bigger issue is probably cigarettes/alcohol b/c they're legal...

if you're on government assistance, yet have the cash to buy daily smokes, welll.....you're clearly cheating the system by default
I'm in Canada so not exactly the same system as the USA, but where I live this statement could not be more true (from first hand experience). Just an overall general mismanagement of personal finances.

Seems like a big waste of resources to me.

If you're a billionaire gaming the system you're a smart business man. If you're a poor person gaming the system you're a moocher.

I work in a detox in Canada and I'd say at least half our clients are on government disability or welfare. Even with illegal drugs, some of these people drink up to a 24 pack and smoke a pack of cigarettes a day.
I honestly don't know how they pay for it all, cause even the government programs they are on would not cover the cost of what some of these peoples use.

Meanwhile they are provided free drug coverage whereas my wife works in health care and has no benefits cause hospitals here treat their employees like dirt.

/bitter

Waste of resources to test them; but welfare in general is a waste of resources.

Basically leave it up to the top 10% as to how welfare programs are implemented; they are the ones paying for it.

While I don't feel this should be part of the criteria for welfare, I also don't believe for a second that only ~1% of welfare recipients are on drugs. Something very fishy is happening in these testing programs (not that I'm opposed to that).
Agreed, I don't think there many populations anywhere where only ~1% are on drugs.

Agreed, I don't think there many populations anywhere where only ~1% are on drugs.

Sure but i also think the number of people on welfare vs drugs is a lot lower than most people want to believe it is. Drugs cost money and people on the welfare are notorious for not having any.

Unless you're saying they made up the numbers (but didn't run your own search to confirm it?) I don't see how the source matters here.

A better source would've given a fuller version of the story. In general I have no issue with states implementing measures requiring people on government assistance to try & improve themselves while on assistance. Just saying, a story from a site that doesn't call people leeches & moochers would've probably been more useful.

Back