ANOTHER Ronda Interview on ELLEN...how times (and physics) change!

Dude have you ever been boxed in your life? You probably haven't seen guys break their hands during sparring by punching too hard. boxing gloves weren't designed to slow down a punch. who the fuck told you that? the impact from a boxing gloves makes your brain jump around in your skull, even a light jab affects the brain.

What did say that was funny? Boxing gloves cause a lot more trauma to the brain, can you explain why that is such a ridiculous notion?
Good lord.

He didnt say they are designed to slow down a punch, but theyre heavier so they do.

Boxers have more head trauma because you can take more shots with a boxing glove without falling over. Also, they give you ample time to get your head together to get more of your brain damaging punches. In MMA Herb Dean stops it when you drops it.

Dude have you ever been boxed in your life? You probably haven't seen guys break their hands during sparring by punching too hard. boxing gloves weren't designed to slow down a punch. who the fuck told you that? the impact from a boxing gloves makes your brain jump around in your skull, even a light jab affects the brain.

What did say that was funny? Boxing gloves cause a lot more trauma to the brain, can you explain why that is such a ridiculous notion?

It doesn't matter what boxing gloves were designed for. They DO slow down punches and they add padding. Yes I've boxed before and I can hurt someone much easier with smaller gloves on. They certainly don't ADD anything to your punches.

I KNOW that the concussive force from a punch is what causes the damage. I never said otherwise. But when you punch someone with smaller gloves you are able to deliver more concussive force. The weight of the glove is fairly negligible in terms of how much force it adds to a punch; the slowing down of a punch is much greater in importance along with the additional padding. In terms of the mass for the mass X acceleration calculation, it is STUPID to just include the mass of the fist/glove. The entire body goes into delivering the force through kinetic linking so the glove/fist is not a closed system. Physics. This is why arm punches and rabbit punches are so weak.

MMA gloves have slightly higher damage.

I think that comparing the hook even underestimates that difference. Other punches are going to see a more dramatic difference, I'd wager.

Well that should shake things up a bit!

Cool video man thanks!

Apparently boxing gloves do only about 1% less damage than MMA gloves...
According to that one test of that one punch. I think the difference is more dramatic in other punches and especially in people that are of smaller mass (and less arm strength) like 135 lb women. That was a hook with maximum windup for maximum power in order to get the punch of to speed. And notice that the bare knuckle punch did a LOT more.

I think that comparing the hook even underestimates that difference. Other punches are going to see a more dramatic difference, I'd wager.
Actually the weight released mathematically doesn't change. The difference of the impact will be the same with a jab or an uppercut. The only variant is the part of the glove that hits and the extention of the arm. Anyway, the difference is pretty small.

Actually the weight released mathematically doesn't change. The difference of the impact will be the same with a jab or an uppercut. The only variant is the part of the glove that hits and the extention of the arm. Anyway, the difference is pretty small.
The power is going to vary in part because kinetic linking and muscle recruitment differs and the amount of time to accelerate a punch differs. I mean, the result of this is obvious in terms of how damaging these punches are relative to one another.

Good lord.

He didnt say they are designed to slow down a punch, but theyre heavier so they do.

Boxers have more head trauma because you can take more shots with a boxing glove without falling over. Also, they give you ample time to get your head together to get more of your brain damaging punches. In MMA Herb Dean stops it when you drops it.
Thats my point, boxing gloves cause a lot more head trauma. He also says gloves slows down your punching didn't say it adds cushion to prevent damage to your hands. cushioning doesn't really slow down the speed of your hands with good muscle memory.

The power is going to vary in part because kinetic linking and muscle recruitment differs and the amount of time to accelerate a punch differs. I mean, the result of this is obvious in terms of how damaging these punches are relative to one another.
Exactly, but if we analyze the single hit MMA gloves have heavier impact cause the variants are all proportional to the weight, it doesnt matter in which way you hit. The same shot from the same individual with MMA gloves will have higher impact, about 4 pounds more.

Damn Holly fcked Ronda up for life, Ronda is a front runner shes great when she wins but is suicidal when she loses.

Also see looks better when she cries.

Last edited:
Exactly, but if we analyze the single hit MMA gloves have heavier impact cause the variants are all proportional to the weight, it doesnt matter in which way you hit. The same shot from the same individual with MMA gloves will have higher impact, about 4 pounds more.
It's quite conceivable that the proportion of the effect will change with different punches and ESPECIALLY with different people. The slowing of the punch due to weight of the glove is going to be much more drastic for a smaller individual. Bas is a former HW. This is one reason that HWs will spar with 20 oz instead of 16 oz gloves.

It's quite conceivable that the proportion of the effect will change with different punches and ESPECIALLY with different people. The slowing of the punch due to weight of the glove is going to be much more drastic for a smaller individual. Bas is a former HW. This is one reason that HWs will spar with 20 oz instead of 16 oz gloves.
The proportion doesn't change if the hitter is the same person. Maybe you are mixing the feel of a shot and the impact of it. The feel it's about the sensation you recive while taking a shot, the impact is a mathematic value you can't change. I agree with you if you say that boxing gloves give you a most reasonable sensation in some moves like uppercuts due to the aerodynamic of the gloves but for the math the mma gloves uppercut still relase more weight.

with a boxing glove she would be dead because.....?
Wow, that one totally flew over your head. TS edited his OP for you but he honestly shouldn't have considering how blatantly obvious his point was.

The proportion doesn't change if the hitter is the same person. Maybe you are mixing the feel of a shot and the impact of it. The feel it's about the sensation you recive while taking a shot, the impact is a mathematic value you can't change. I agree with you if you say that boxing gloves give you a most reasonable sensation in some moves like uppercuts due to the aerodynamic of the gloves but for the math the mma gloves uppercut still relase more weight.

Now you think it is about aerodynamics? That's pretty much a non-factor and wouldn't really change due to punch unlike what you are saying here. lol I think that muscle recruitment has a huge effect on the proportion change because you are only going to provide so much acceleration even under ideal circumstances but if the type of punch limits the acceleration much more due to mucles recruitment and punch distance, the increased weight that you need to accelerate has a more significant impact.

It's like with racing. In a short race, a smaller car can accelerate faster and get up to top speed. A much heavier car with a greater top speed needs more space to get moving. The longer the distance the race, the greater proportional difference in their run times. Now, the muscle recruitment is a bit like changing the engine out. Now, an equally heavy car with a worse engine is going to accelerate even slower and change the calculation in another way. The proportions are going to change for sure.

Now you think it is about aerodynamics? That's pretty much a non-factor and wouldn't really change due to punch unlike what you are saying here. lol I think that muscle recruitment has a huge effect on the proportion change because you are only going to provide so much acceleration even under ideal circumstances but if the type of punch limits the acceleration much more due to mucles recruitment and punch distance, the increased weight that you need to accelerate has a more significant impact.

It's like with racing. In a short race, a smaller car can accelerate faster and get up to top speed. A much heavier car with a greater top speed needs more space to get moving. The longer the distance the race, the greater proportional difference in their run times. Now, the muscle recruitment is a bit like changing the engine out. Now, an equally heavy car with a worse engine is going to accelerate even slower and change the calculation in another way. The proportions are going to change for sure.

I still can't understand you argument. I mean, it's mathematically proved that MMA gloves relase more weight, what are you talking about? The first strings it's just a bunch of nonsense. If the same person, under the same circustances, distribuing the same muscle motion hits with a MMA gloves, he will relase more weight. Period. You are trying to compare different situations with different gloves, while you should compare every kind of situation with both kind of gloves. Your logic says that an uppercut with box gloves is heavier than an hook with an MMA glove, but the logic should be that an uppercut with MMA glove is heavier than an uppercut with Boxing gloves.

I still can't understand you argument. I mean, it's mathematically proved that MMA gloves relase more weight, what are you talking about? The first strings it's just a bunch of nonsense. If the same person, under the same circustances, distribuing the same muscle motion hits with a MMA gloves, he will relase more weight. Period.

I've been saying all along that hitting with MMA gloves allows you to hit harder. Ronda's point is that the heavier gloves imparts more power which is false. So now I'm convinced you really are well and truly confused.

You are trying to compare different situations with different gloves, while you should compare every kind of situation with both kind of gloves. Your logic says that an uppercut with box gloves is heavier than an hook with an MMA glove, but the logic should be that an uppercut with MMA glove is heavier than an uppercut with Boxing gloves.

That's not at all what I'm saying. Go back and read because you've missed the point enirely. I've said that the PROPORTION of the difference will vary depending on the circumstances. The direction of the difference is going to be same but the proportion will vary. So, the effect of having a heavier glove (boxing) has in slowing down your punch/taking power out of your punch, is going to be present for every different punch but the effect is likely to be more pronounced depending on the situation.

No, it's not the glove that does the damage. Boxing gloves give padding for a less efficient transfer of energy and they slow down your punch meaning it is less powerful. Ronda is wrong.

No actually you're wrong. You would know this if you've ever been hit hard by both a bare fist and a 16 oz boxing glove. I can tell from listening to you that you haven't, though. I'd honestly rather be hit with a bare fist. A 16 oz glove does add a solid pound to your fist and that will certainly rattle your brain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back