Another reason to hate & fear your bowflex:

Let's just say you were doing some sort of reversed cable cross over with both of your wrist strapped in. It's possible he could have arm triangled himself to death.

Where's Herb Dean when you need him?

Auto-erotic asphyxiation covered up by the parents using a Bowflex?

I'm not that familiar with the Bowflex, but I'm not sure how you could accidentally choke yourself with one.
that or deliberate suicide. or tears something twists from that and puts himself off the seat only three options I can come up with.

One of the rods snapped, flew off, and nicked the carotid artery, causing him to bleed to death...

...maybe.

One of the rods snapped, flew off, and nicked the carotid artery, causing him to bleed to death...

...maybe.

Or maybe you had to much fun imagining that scene hmm.....

Truth: more people die from bench press than from ephedra... Some day they will come for your barbell.

If they try to take my Barbell, I will reclaim it from their cold, dead hands!:icon_twis

TBH, if I was training alone, I'd use Dumbbells for Bench; much safer.

Of course he was killed by the Bowflex.

Also, David Carradine was killed by a closet and Chris Benoit's family was killed by bibles.

well... anything is possible, this happened at my old apartment complex.

Man impaled by umbrella dies | StarNewsOnline.com

Went to take my boy to the pool and the place was police taped off. Asked a staff member if someone drowned...

No?
well what happened?

Umbrella went through his skull!

WHAAAAAA!?

its a shame, but it just goes to show, when god calls your number... its time to go!

...maybe.
someone has seen the final destination movies a few times too many.... anything under load is waiting for the toll of fate to strike you down

yes, war on bowflex. I'm sure no athlete has ever seriously injured themselves or died using a barbell.

Oh, wait...

Would be curious to know if this guy insisted on using a open grip for his bench, with thumbs next to fingers.

I looked for pics, but the victim's family wants to keep it under wraps for now. So I'm leaning towards INXS/Carrdine style darwinism...

Of course he was killed by the Bowflex.

Also, David Carradine was killed by a closet and Chris Benoit's family was killed by bibles.

bibles? is that chris benoit's nickname? crazy bastard

"Investigators do not believe the exercise equipment was responsible for the teen's death."

"there is no information or evidence to suggest in any way the victim was trying to purposefully hurt himself or end his own life."

Investigators concluded the death was "a very tragic accident."

What happened then? It wasn't bowflex, it wasn't suicide, yet its also an accident? Unless by "responsible" they mean the bowflex had no 'intentions' of killing the kid.

What we have been missing is maybe this is beginning of the machine revolution, terminator style, and in the future it will be humans and barbells vs the machines. Shit, smith machines have already started attacking humans, by making them weaker and look stupid.

Last edited:
slightly unrelated, but I would never do bench press if i went to prison.

slightly unrelated, but I would never do bench press if i went to prison.

My friend is a prison guard at one of the highest security prisons in the country, and he said that very few of the inmates do bench press at the gym there. Either you are alone in the gym with a guard (and the guards can't spot the inmates) or you're there with just a few other inmates in which case it is forbidden for the inmates to spot each other (for obvious reasons). Still there are a number of bench "accidents" there every year.

My friend is a prison guard at one of the highest security prisons in the country, and he said that very few of the inmates do bench press at the gym there. Either you are alone in the gym with a guard (and the guards can't spot the inmates) or you're there with just a few other inmates in which case it is forbidden for the inmates to spot each other (for obvious reasons). Still there are a number of bench "accidents" there every year.

If you want to Bench with Free Weights, there is no question that Dumbbells are the safer option. I will only Bench "heavy" with a Barbell if I know there is someone there who can spot me. We've all heard the horror stories of guys who have collected a Darwin Award while Benching heavy on their own. It's just not worth the risk.

Hell, even Rip, who believes that on the Seventh Day, God created the Barbell before He rested, has stated that for non-Powerlifters, DB Bench is is every bit as good if not better than Barbell.

once you think you've made something fool proof, along comes a better fool.

So you're saying we just need to wait for the next line of warning stickers to find out what happened.

"cables should not be wrapped around neck or face"

"this is not a wang enlargement tool"

"external use only"

So you're saying we just need to wait for the next line of warning stickers to find out what happened.

"cables should not be wrapped around neck or face"

"this is not a wang enlargement tool"

"external use only"

that and 'do not put your hands under the mower when it is running'.

Back