Another gaining weight question (stupid question)

ColClaypool

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, heres the situation. I know the question is stupid, but I have to ask it- and I dont think I can search function this either. I wanted to enter this BJJ tournament this weekend hoping that I would make the 200-209 weight class.

I knew that a while back I got weighed in around 215 lbs. So about two months ago I started working out, along with attending BJJ class about 2-3 classes a week. My exercises include about 15 minutes on the treadmill 2-3 times per week on 5mph, and on Monday I lift chest (usually do three exercises 4 sets of 10-12 reps), and then Wednesday Ill do back and bis (three exercises 4 sets of 10- 12 reps).

My diet through out the week is usually a bowl of cerel, and protein shake in the morning (35 grams of protein), weight watchers meal for lucnh ( about 7-8 grams of fat and 300 calories), cottage cheese for mid day snack, and then a healthy dinner, and then extra protein shake on the days I work out.

So I get on the scale today, and the wieght has gone up to 225 lbs+. Now people have told me that I look like I have lossed weight, and my wife told me that I look more cut.

How is that possible? Am i converting the fat to muscle, and that is why there is a weight gain? Or is the protein making me gain weight? I wanted to cut weight instead of gaining while still lifting...any suggestions?

Thanks for your help. Im newer to dieting, and any honest help is appreciated.

cardio to lose weight, consume less cals. You got heavier cause you gain muscle (yes it's possible to gain great amounts of muscle mass in the first month of training) and lost fat. You inturn look more cut cause you lost the fat, but muscle outweights muscle by a great deal.

Do more cardio, go on a diet; lower the weight increace the reps.
But if you're trying to make weight by the weekend, skip the weights, and just train and do tons of cardio.

"How is that possible? Am i converting the fat to muscle?"

I don't know if anyone has answered you, but contrary to popular belief, fat doesn't turn into muscle. Lean mass will turn into muscle, but fat will not synthesize itself into amino acids and then form new muscle fibers. I'm a sports medicine major, so take my word for it

add fat burning function to the tredmill workout and i dont think your drinking enough water

Back