Another Body fat Question

48LawsOfPower

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So i just bought one of those taylor weight scales from Wal-Mart that measures body weight, body water % and body fat. My question is I have been weighing myself every day. This is what i got

Body Fat %

09/05- 13.0
09/06-14.0
09/07 12.0
09/08- 12.0
09/09- 10.0
09/11- 13.0

My question, is this scale accurate? How can my body fat % differ 4% in only 6 days? How can my weight jump up and down between 5 lbs? I weight myslef in the same clothes ( boxers) every night so it isny my clothes. Any ideas?

Your weight will fluctuate every day due to waste, sweat, water build-up, etc...Do it 1x a week.

Weigh yourself the same tim every day and try to be in the same state of hydration. If the scale still varies that much then something is wrong.

How good is your scale? Bodyfat scales aren't usually the most accurate/consistant...

48LawsOfPower said:
So i just bought one of those taylor weight scales from Wal-Mart that measures body weight, body water % and body fat. My question is I have been weighing myself every day. This is what i got

Body Fat %

09/05- 13.0
09/06-14.0
09/07 12.0
09/08- 12.0
09/09- 10.0
09/11- 13.0

My question, is this scale accurate? How can my body fat % differ 4% in only 6 days? How can my weight jump up and down between 5 lbs? I weight myslef in the same clothes ( boxers) every night so it isny my clothes. Any ideas?

Maybe water retemption.

I think they use a small current to go thru your body to measure the resistence. I would guess a few factors could make the numbers be a bit different. Mositure on your feet for one....maybe some dirt on your feet.....if something prevents a good connection it might flucuate. Maybe the local YMCA or gym can do it for you once a month or something like that.

There are many factors that will make the bioelectroimpediance scales (tanita scales) vary, the main one being hydration. You should have listed your weight, I bet that fluctuates similarily. I like to use my scale every now and then in the morning and then look at around the numbers you have. If you really want to be specific, graph them. Overall you can see if you are stable, slowly going up or slowly going down. Look for trends, not absolute numbers.

If you want to check your scales integrity, get on and off it 3 times in a row and check your numbers. Your weight should be the same within 1/2 a lb, and your bf withing .5 percent, if not exactly the same each time.

48LawsOfPower said:

Body Fat %

09/05- 13.0
09/06-14.0
09/07 12.0
09/08- 12.0
09/09- 10.0
09/11- 13.0

You should have bought Tanita.

Back