Another Blue Belt Thread

PerfectBalance

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I got my second blue belt at a 10th planet gym after training there for a month and a half. I got my first blue belt at a Gi oriented school a year and a half ago. I really feel strange about it as I wanted to to get a stripe for my gi, but don't wear a gi because there are not enough tournaments locally to participate in gi tournaments. So, do I call myself a 2nd dan bluebelt or should I put both on at once. Does it really matter what belt level you are when you train with people who don't care what kind of belt you are. I'm also wondering if anyone has gone to a no gi or gi gym where they were awarded the same belt again or in some cases have retired from training long enough they felt like they needed to reearn the belt. On another note as well what path should I take know to earn my purple belt or shirt, since I'm lighter and injured a lot of the time, so I average training week is one 1-2 a week, unless I'm near competition time.

Definitely wear both belts at once.

On the realz, tho - Seperate belts from *almost seperate systems. Be proud of both, but, DEAR GOD, don't wear both at the same time. I wouldn't consider it equally 2nd stripe blue, either.

Just consider them seperate entities.

Or, maybe not.

Last edited:
I joked about it with people at my gym, because it was the only day we were suppose to wear our Gi. We had a gi guy come and do belt promotions and show us gi moves. The thing is I didn't want to show up with my gi and a blue belt over my waist. I think it would confuse the Gi instructor for that day and confuse everyone else at the gym and look awkward. I'm not trying to say I deserve my purple belt, but I also don't want to look like a stooge who Kevin Caseyed there ass up the belt line. I'm putting too much into in my mind, since it makes little difference at a no gi school and promotions are just a sign of progress.

I haven't officially started training yet so feel free to reply with a good old fashioned "STFU NOOB" but I'm pretty certain you should just call yourself a blue belt. Now I will exit thread and shut my mouth.

Just make sure when you start making YouTube instructionals to wear your bjj gi with your 10pjj belt.

WHen at place A wear belt A, when at place B wear belt B

yeah I dont understand WTF is going on here. If you were awarded a blue belt in gi, then why wouldn't you wear it? Is it because you are at a different school? If so, approach your instructor and tell him that you were previously awarded your blue belt, but are not sure if it is ok to wear it at a new school.

Am I missing something?

What's not to get about it , so you understand. I received my blue belt from a GI school a year and half ago. Since, then I have not lost a match in my last 14 no gi matches and have won three tournaments since then. I was hoping to get a stripe as I feel I have progressed quite a bit. Instead, I feel as though I'm being awarded something that I have already earned at another school, So I'm no closer to a purple belt then I was nearly two years ago. However, I have progressed quite a bit since then. It is discouraging in a way that if I don't go to the gym 3-5 times a week that I won't receive a purple belt, despite the fact that I'm significantly better then I was. I know I shouldn't get a belt promotion, so quickly after moving into a new gym, but what do I need to do to bring it up to that level. I'm at a 80% win percentage with me using takedowns sweeps guard pulling and just all around good technique. My last tournament I caught 3 of the 4 guys I went against. I caught one in a reverse triangle reverse kimura, A normal triangle and a armbar. My previous tournament I finished everyone two wins by armbar and one win by rear naked choke and all my opponents were blue belts or higher.

WTF?

Youre a blue belt. If you wanted your purple, you shouldve stayed at your old school.

As per my knowledge, they dont give out stripes in 10th Planet.

So it looks like youre gonna be a blue for a while, buddy.

why the fuck to people demote themselves???? You demoted yourself to white belt, so of course they are not going to give you stripes on a blue belt when you show up as a whitebelt.

You'll get your Purple when you're Purple belt level. Im sure your instructor has the ability to see that.

Hey guys I just got my Noob Translator 2000 in the mail today, this is a great opportunity to use it.

<SYSTEM INITIATED>

<COMMAND FUNCTION ONLINE>

<TRANSLATING NOOBSPEAK>

Perfect Balance got his blue belt in BJJ. He got his blue shirt in 10th PJJ. There is a BJJ instructor who comes to his 10th PJJ school and teaches gi stuff once in a while. TS wants to know if he can wear not only his blue belt while he trains gi (which is fine), but also he wants to make some distinction on said belt that he got his blue shirt (which is unneccessary).

TS also made a second inquiry as to how to achieve purple belt AND shirt, given that he trains only once a week, unless it is competition time. The answer of course being: train at a BJJ school and a 10th PJJ school regularly and compete in both Gi or No Gi. With once a week training, your progress will be VERY slow.

blue belt > blue shirt

just sayin'

I should not have made such a retarded thread. I do this only because I'm a retarded person. I'm a bjj blue belt and a 10th planet blue shirt, but I've done a lot for this country, so I feel like I deserve my Purple Star.

Back