Another Benching Question

SpAzNeT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I needed some help getting over my plateau in bench so I did what advice you gave me and I finnally got over it. Well my question now is, how many times should i do bench a week?

Lately iv'e been doing bench 2 or 3 times a week but is that enough time to let my muscles heal? I understand the importance of rest but it seems like it i do bench only once a week I will lose what i worked so hard on.

Oh and im sure knowone cares but i dont give a shit, I was stuck at 245 and after doing the workouts many of yal suggested for about 3 weeks i busted to 255 so thx.

I only bench once a week, but i dont bench much weight either, do whatever works for ya, but i wouldnt bench more than twice a week

Monday/Thursday is a good idea.

3 times every 7 days is almost certainly too often.

Work one day heavy and the other day not so heavy.

On heavy day focus on flat bench.

On light day focus on your assistance lifts.

Don't overtrain. Its as bad as undertraining.

whats your sticking point?

rEmY said:
whats your sticking point?

My sticking point was right off my chest, so i worked on heavy rows and floor press, and explosive benching to bust through my sticking point.

So no more then 2 times a week for bench thx.

Back when i played football we lifted 3 days a week and did incline, power clean, bench, and squat, and other lifts after our offseason schedule was over with. And we did other shit on the days in between (running days). A lot of the time we were sore and we just had to work through it, but everybody always got stronger. Not to many people hit plateaus either. I gained 35 pounds on my bench and 65 pounds on my squat one time, and that was only in 6 weeks, and I never gained any less than 15 pounds on either squat or bench in 6 weeks, so I don't think we were overtraining. So honestly, I don't think 3 times a week is too much, but thats just my opinion.

SpAzNeT said:
My sticking point was right off my chest, so i worked on heavy rows and floor press, and explosive benching to bust through my sticking point.

So no more then 2 times a week for bench thx.

ive gotten good increases on my bench by doing a 2 day/week bench routine,

simply:
monday:
speed bench
light assistance

friday:
ME bench
heavy assistance

my sticking point was about 3 inches off of my chest, but i found that speed benching really helped me to keep up my momentum and speed.

Yea speed bench was something new to me so i had no idea what results i would get from it. But it really has made me stronger in only 3weeks times.

Remy, I'm sure this has already been answered in a previous thread, but what's speed benching.

Plum said:
Remy, I'm sure this has already been answered in a previous thread, but what's speed benching.

ive just started doing it, so im no expert.

you lower the bar in a controlled, but speedy, fashion and then blast it up as fast as you fucking can. its supposed to help you maintain bar speed and momentum to help you blast through your sticking points.

Louie Simmons said:
Lets start with speed, or the dynamic method. This is done on Sunday, and Kenny and George train together. Far from meet time, they perform 10 sets of triples with short rest periods, about 45 seconds. Most of the grips are close, the index finger touching the smooth for half the sets and not wider than the little finger touching the power ring. The percentage used on speed day is never more than 60% of a shirtless bench P.R. It is roughly 50-55% of their contest best.

in short its 10 sets of 3 reps with ~45 second rest periods. i started off using 45% of my 1 rm, and increased by 5% every week until i got up to 65%, then i tested for a new 1 RM.

i found that it really has help me, because previously i would get the bar up fast, hit my sitcking point, and then slow waaaaay down, so that even if i did make it through that point my lockout was torture.

SpAzNeT said:
Yea speed bench was something new to me so i had no idea what results i would get from it. But it really has made me stronger in only 3weeks times.

my bench went up 20 lbs in about three weeks of starting this, i just did my first band workout yesterday for dynamic squats, I'll use them on my bench tomorrow, I hate today, today is rest day.

at first, I was benching like 3-4 times a week, now, I only bench twice a week and I've increased 10 pounds in like 3 weeks, your muscles need time to heal before goin hard again....

im not exactly an expert, but i find it works best for me when i mix up how often i do it. ive put like 70 lbs on my bench since february(205, but i repped it several times so i could prolly do like 215-225 for a one time max)

If yu go heavy, nce every week would be more than enough. What part of the bench is yur sticking point?

dont bench 2/3 times a week, if you are training the chest properly you wont need to work it anymore than twice a week, probably no more than once a week. if you can train it 3 times a week it means that you need to icnrease the weight

I only bench once a week, and make some good gains doing it. Go heavy or go home! :D

3 times a week is too much, 2 times a week is nice for a change and a shocker to your normal routine but if this works best for you as a normal routine and you notice increased gains from doing them more than once, by all means we are not all created equal do what works best for you. I'll sometimes go from my 3 day pull/push/legs to a 6 day pull/push/legs x2 but it's not often.

i wouldn't do any more than 2X a week. as i've gotten older, i found my body needs a little more time to rest so i switched to once a week but i hit it hard.

Back