Another 2 years until Silva vs Jones or GSP now!!!

Redsoxnation

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Seeing as Silva announced after his new 10 fight contract that he wants to defend his title 3 more times before any SuperFights. And seeing as he fights about twice a year, I'd say not for another 2 years until we see any SuperFights.
The man is 37 yrs old, good chance age will catch up with him by then, has UFC not just learned a big lesson from boxing? they kept putting off the Mayweather vs Pacquiao until it came back and bit them in the ass bigtime.
I do hope I'm wrong, like everyone else I feel these fights will be amazing, I just fear for the 1 punch that could kill the hype and interest that's happened to boxing now.

Seeing as Silva announced after his new 10 fight contract that he wants to defend his title 3 more times before any SuperFights. And seeing as he fights about twice a year, I'd say not for another 2 years until we see any SuperFights.
The man is 37 yrs old, good chance age will catch up with him by then, has UFC not just learned a big lesson from boxing? they kept putting off the Mayweather vs Pacquiao until it came back and bit them in the ass bigtime.
I do hope I'm wrong, like everyone else I feel these fights will be amazing, I just fear for the 1 punch that could kill the hype and interest that's happened to boxing now.

They need to happen as soon as.possible as Silva could lose his speed and reflexes overnight literally.

Mark my words. Jones vs Silva and Silva vs GSP will never happen.

They need to happen as soon as.possible as Silva could lose his speed and reflexes overnight literally.

Modern nutrition, training, therapy, and "enhancements" have been prolonging athletes' careers. Look at Juan Marquez, Randy Couture, and Kobe Bryant. Simply amazing. Anderson Silva will be fine as long as he stays busy and doesn't get too crazy with his weight.

GSP may dodge Silva. I would too if I were him although I think he can win a 5 round decision if he pulls off the perfect game plan and execution. I definitely see Bones and Silva fighting in the future. Dana White will make it happen. There is absolutely no excuse for either of them to not fight. Machida got destroyed and he's several fights away from a title fight.

this, dana has been hyping superfights for years, but he doesn't make it happen.
Silva his last fight to defend the belt was last july, before he defends it again, another year has past.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/10/30/3578936/dana-white-guarantees-anderson-silva-vs-jon-jones-super-fight-will

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/dana-white-says-silva-vs-gsp-superfight-will-happen-in-may/

why do media even bother to interview dana?

what don't ppl understand? GSP will NEVER take the Silva fight until Silva is visibly washed up

GSP is not about dat life

when did Anderson Say he wanted to defend his belt 3 more times before a super fight?

If we don't see any of these super fights I am fine with it.

will be good to see Weidman hype ended. Sad to see the Jones fight delayed; time is in Jones favour if he stays at LHW and after he moves to HW its not going to happen. I dont think GSP has much of a chance so not interested so much in that one.

Funny thing is IMO these superfights are in a similar vein to Bear vs Shark conversations that catalysed Vale Tudo and MMA. Can so and so (who fight different styles) beat each other? Who would win between Superman and Magneto etc. Or even who would win - Pride vs UFC fighters?

It's great to see the possibility of two fighters who have constraints on them (and a possible unlevel playing field) actually getting to fight. And the possibility of these Champion Superfights actually seems more likely than some of the other scenarios I mentioned (at the time).

We never did get to have a Barnett Fedor fight (UFC Pride superfight).
Whether we do ever get to see a fight between GSP and Silva or Silva and Jones won't devastate me, but the prospect of just being able to have that possibility makes it more than exciting.

Personally I think the GSP fight is less likely because of GSP wanting his legacy to say he was undefeated after Serra, however this is blatently the fight AS wants because of PPVs and size.

Aldo Frankie is the last of the 4 I even thought about, but the fact that IS happening excites me to no end!

nah i think it will. its probably the fight the ufc wants to headline for the MSG fight card(if all goes well in nyc). i cant see dana white letting a superfight like this slip away, especially both of those. but who fukin knows.

haha sure GSP is dodging. Zahabi said that GSP will fight Silva if he comes to 170. I don't think that's unreasonable considering Silva is the one lobbying for the fight. Why should GSP move up to MW or a catch weight to fight someone that is calling him out?

As for the two year mark. I don't know, it may be in his best interest to get those fights now. besides MW is lacking top contenders at the moment. you have Bisping if he gets passed Vitor and Weidman when he recovers and wins another fight.

I suppose Rockhold can be considered but he should really show that he can win in the UFC before he gets a crack.

The problem is there is just no big fights at mw for him. Before anyone says MW is a good division, I say this. There is a reason Silva's best fights are not in his division

I am glad that Silva wants to stick to 185. A lot of new contenders are emerging. If he defeats Weidman, Lombard and another guy, he can just coast the rest of his contract with whatever fights he wants, he would have reached the dominance of Fedor in the MW division.

haha sure GSP is dodging. Zahabi said that GSP will fight Silva if he comes to 170. I don't think that's unreasonable considering Silva is the one lobbying for the fight. Why should GSP move up to MW or a catch weight to fight someone that is calling him out?

As for the two year mark. I don't know, it may be in his best interest to get those fights now. besides MW is lacking top contenders at the moment. you have Bisping if he gets passed Vitor and Weidman when he recovers and wins another fight.

I suppose Rockhold can be considered but he should really show that he can win in the UFC before he gets a crack.

The problem is there is just no big fights at mw for him. Before anyone says MW is a good division, I say this. There is a reason Silva's best fights are not in his division

Silva's best fights are at MW. No where else.
LHW has always seemed like a stronger division because it carries alot of big names, but must realise that those big names are past their prime.
Anderson has made MW look bad, if it wasnt for Anderson as champ you would have guys like Bisping Marquart, chael , hendo and vitor who would have all been possible champs at MW and it would look like a sharktank.

The superfights are never happening.

They are simply played up by the UFC whenever cancellations or injuries are announced to distract naive people.

What's the hurry, I like watching Silva fight no matter who it is against! Although I must admit that after seeing Belcher and Boetsch both lose, some potential good fights for Silva faded away. Sad to see Belcher put on such a poor effort, thought he could be exciting vs. Silva. I think spider may move up sooner than he says unless some serious contenders popup in the MW division real quick!

I guess it will be another 2 years before Silva could 'possibly' be relevant in the U.S. Silva just wants the notoriety and name recognition GSP brings.

Back