Annual contracts and layoffs

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SAMURAI SPIRIT, Feb 15, 2016.

1. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

Sherdoggies: How do you guys handle extended lay-offs when you are locked up for a year long contract? Lets say that you are going on a month long vacation and will not be using your BJJ gym for that one month. Do you still owe your instructor your monthly or is it the norm to "freeze the contract" for the time that you are away?

2. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Try and freeze the account until you get back. Some places have shitty billing companies that won't let you.

3. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I don't sign year long contracts for BJJ.

4. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

In theory, you owe payment.

because the year contract is usually offered at a discount.

otherwise, you should have gone for the monthly option which is usually more expensive.

But I do not do contract so I do not care

5. JenStark

JenStark Blue Belt

At my previous gym, because I was a permanent "customer" they allowed me to freeze my payment everytime I was gone for summer vacation, and they also froze my payment for a month when I broke my shoulder.

At my new gym, they won't do any of that. It is still cheaper for me to pay the annual contract, but my respect towards them is lower.

McA likes this.
  6. number9dream

number9dream Blue Belt

I pay 1 year upfront because they have a really nice discount for 1 year contracts and I always pay things in 1 go so no month by month paying... but they will let you freeze the actual duration of it anytime, just gotta tell them you will be gone for x days and they will add it on.

They've also let me do this retroactively when I've forgotten to do it in advance :)