Annoyance at restaurants

Yes. I don't mind some blood but if my plate looks like a crime scene, there's a problem.

Yeah lol Cook i went to the Riviera with from my previous kitchen and I got slammed one day during a convention. I watched him send out a "Well done" steak after being on the broiler for like 3 minutes all together.

I was just like "Pedro, you can't send that out man throw it back on"
"It's just gristle" he said.

I was like "all right, we'll see"

I kid you not, like 20 seconds later our little vietnamese head waiter comes out screaming fire and brimstone. Pedro calls the chef over to back him up. Chef just looks him dead in the eye and asks "are you stupid?"

I felt so bad for the customer

If there's 15 people, say 3 families of 5, and it's supposedly a pain in the ass to split it later, then I'd say the burden is on the waiter. If you're gonna get rustled about it later then you should've asked.

or you could just tell them. i dunno.

Mine has to be the servers rushing quickly to get your plate the moment they think you're done. Several times where I'm not done eating and they're already taking the plate away.

Why are they so eager?

What's your restaurant annoyance?

they are trying to get you out of there so they can clear the table.

i don't go out much anymore, but i get annoyed if the server takes ten mins to get to the table after we are seated (unless they are slammed). i actually got up and left from a cheesecake factory once when we were waiting 20 mins on the patio and still hadn't been approached by the server.

Onus is on the server to ask first imo, it makes it easier on them, as well as the guests, and no hiccups going forward instead of that weird dance at the end where you're trying to tally up who ordered what.

Lol no. I think it's safe to assume most people don't carry cash. Add to that, people have to add up all the items and figure out the tax and the tip. The waiter should ask or not get mad when it needs to be split up later.

they are trying to get you out of there so they can clear the table.

i don't go out much anymore, but i get annoyed if the server takes ten mins to get to the table after we are seated (unless they are slammed). i actually got up and left from a cheesecake factory once when we were waiting 20 mins on the patio and still hadn't been approached by the server.

A big criticism i've had of my servers at my last place is that they think they have to have this aura of impervious, perfect "I've got it under control". From my experience, it's perfectly fine if you tell a guest "hey, i'm so busy right now and i'm going to make it back to you ask quickly as possible"

Or ask the food runner or manager for some help so you can catch up. They're paranoid that will effect their tip, when in all actuality 9 times out of 10 it will save you from getting a shitty tip for seemingly not caring.

If there's 15 people, say 3 families of 5, and it's supposedly a pain in the ass to split it later, then I'd say the burden is on the waiter. If you're gonna get rustled about it later then you should've asked.

IMO this is what assholes do when they go out.

If it's 3 families u split it 3 ways. U don't itemize every single soda. It's split in thirds.

Why go out and act like such cheap asses. Itemizing a bill like its ur tax returns.

"well my son had a water and I don't want to splt an extra soda between 3 people costing me an extra 75 cents"

i guess, but if you already know you are going to split it, why not say something? communicating just makes everything easier.

IMO this is what assholes do when they go out.

If it's 3 families u split it 3 ways. U don't itemize every single soda. It's split in thirds.

Why go out and act like such cheap asses. Itemizing a bill like its ur tax returns.

"well my son had a water and I don't want to splt an extra soda between 3 people costing me an extra 75 cents"

people that earn their money and like to spend it appropriately.
Sorry, but you sound like the average server/bartender right now

When I have an empty drink in front of me for several minutes or when the tables around where I'm eating don't get cleaned off for the entire time I'm there.

I'm a pretty laid back guy but these irk me.

Mine has to be the servers rushing quickly to get your plate the moment they think you're done. Several times where I'm not done eating and they're already taking the plate away.

Why are they so eager?

What's your restaurant annoyance?

Depends. At low tier restaurants its to get you out at fast as possible. At high tier its so you dont have a dirty dish in front of you.

General rule of thumb i use is to not take a plate from a table when others are still eating. Only time i will remove the plate is if see them push it away for table space or their dirty dish is taking up table space of others eating at the table.

i guess, but if you already know you are going to split it, why not say something? communicating just makes everything easier.

I completely agree from a personal standpoint, but from the business side of it, the onus is on the server to make sure the meal/experience goes as smoothly as possible for both the customer as well as the business and the best course of action to make that happen in my opinion to be prepaired.

It's a 3 second question that can save 10 minutes of stress from both sides. That weird dance where your server is trying to remember who ordered what, on what bill, who is paying for who, who is paying cash, card, etc. can and should be avoided

Fat people ruin the vibe. Also when people order using language like, "I need..." Usually it's the fat people who do this, so it all comes full circle.

A big criticism i've had of my servers at my last place is that they think they have to have this aura of impervious, perfect "I've got it under control". From my experience, it's perfectly fine if you tell a guest "hey, i'm so busy right now and i'm going to make it back to you ask quickly as possible"

agreed 100%. i think one has different expectations from the staff after actually having had worked in the food service industry. i think that is a big part of it for me.

i can remember being out with my folks, and the (now ex) wife and kids once way back when we were served raw fried boneless chicken. i had worked at that chain a few years earlier, and had cooked that chicken countless times. i about blew a gasket when the manager came to the table and tried to tell my folks that the chicken breasts had just changed and were larger than the old ones, and that was what caused the mistake. i wanted to say "motherfucker if they weren't floating on top of the grease, then they weren't done...and they aren't any bigger than they were when i was working the grill so get the fuck out of here with that shit"...but since the old man was picking up the tab, i just kept my mouth shut. i did give the fucker daggers on the way out though...that lying fuckbag.

people that earn their money and like to spend it appropriately.
Sorry, but you sound like the average server/bartender right now

I'd be mortified to go out with people like that.

U go for dinner and one person is complaining about having to split the cost of a beer because they didn't have one.

Sometimes it benefits you and other times it costs a few bucks extra.

When u split it u do it by fractions not itemizing it. Who acts like that when they go out.

Cheap asses. Imagine being with friends on a Saturday and acting this way. It's embarrassing and I don't go out with people like that.

U got the chicken parm that cost $8 I got the chicken franchese that cost $10. Just shut up and split it up and don't worry about the 2 dollar difference.

For the most part I want to get my drinks then order food but I don't want the servers coming over asking if everythings okay constantly. Just be in close proximity that when I do ask for a refill or something else that I can get it easily.

I completely agree from a personal standpoint, but from the business side of it, the onus is on the server to make sure the meal/experience goes as smoothly as possible for both the customer as well as the business and the best course of action to make that happen in my opinion to be prepaired.

It's a 3 second question that can save 10 minutes of stress from both sides. That weird dance where your server is trying to remember who ordered what, on what bill, who is paying for who, who is paying cash, card, etc. can and should be avoided

sure they server should ask, but i've had meals pretty much ruined by people who break out the calculator at the end of the meal and still can't figure out wtf they owe. speak up at the beginning or quit being a tightwad.

sure they server should ask, but i've had meals pretty much ruined by people who break out the calculator at the end of the meal and still can't figure out wtf they owe. speak up at the beginning or quit being a tightwad.

I can see that too.

This dude summed up exactly what Im Talking about.

When ur out with a group u split it with fractions not itemizing everythi like its a tax return.

I never go out with people like that, it's embarrqssing

Back