Ankle Pick vs. Low Single

Luvhawky

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It is embarrassing how many people on here can't distinguish the two.

An Ankle Pick requires you to have one hand on the opponents head/neck/shoulder as you reach for the opponents cross ankle with your other hand.

A low single is where you shoot a single straight on, grabbing your opponents foot/ankle with your same side hand. Then use leverage, usually your head on the inside of the shin to drive their weight over that ankle. It is common for this shot to end with the shooter coming out the back door if the opponent sits on them. If not the shooter will switch arm control from one leg to both arms around both legs to secure the body. Many people mistake that for ending as a double. That is just the end of the move.

Weidman's last second takedown in that college match, Couture on Toney are two examples of low singles.

It is embarrassing how many people on here can't distinguish the two.

An Ankle Pick requires you to have one hand on the opponents head/neck/shoulder as you reach for the opponents cross ankle with your other hand.

A low single is where you shoot a single straight on, grabbing your opponents foot/ankle with your same side hand. Then use leverage, usually your head on the inside of the shin to drive their weight over that ankle. It is common for this shot to end with the shooter coming out the back door if the opponent sits on them. If not the shooter will switch arm control from one leg to both arms around both legs to secure the body. Many people mistake that for ending as a double. That is just the end of the move.

Weidman's last second takedown in that college match, Couture on Toney are two examples of low singles.

Randy had the lowest up singles, but honestly it's an incredibly underrated move especially if the opponents tdd is less then stellar

Ankle Pick requires you to have one hand on the opponents head/neck? LOL...not if youre Yoel Romero:

tumblr_mqdhz1jhcv1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Nope, I have just seen this misunderstanding repeatedly and after seeing it today decided to make the thread.

good on you buddy. would help if you included pics and gifs.

Sherdog has an attention span of 0.5

Ankle Pick requires you to have one hand on the opponents head/neck? LOL...Not if youre Yoel Romero:

tumblr_mqdhz1jhcv1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Haha, I did consider this as being a response when I made that thread. That is an insanely embarrassing takedown that I feel we call an ankle pick for it not having a name. It's definitely a modification to the move. I am sure no coach will ever teach that move as it can only be executed when there is a huge discrepancy in skill.

Still don't understand why we don't see ankle picks against the cage.

I really wish I knew how to embed stuff.

It's seriously the easiest thing to do.

Right Click + Copy Image URL + click Mountain picture looking thing in message box + paste Image URL + Preview Post to prevent looking like a Jackass + Post for self satisfaction.

Still don't understand why we don't see ankle picks against the cage.

I imagine because you are changing the direction you would push your opponent drastically. Normally you push them backwards but at a slight angle, against the cage it would be all angle and that would require a lot of muscle. Imagine having someone's left ankle in your hand and then trying to topple them over their left hip with just your left arm pushing them to your right. You can't really generate any power.

I'd rather see more tree tops.

Nope, I have just seen this misunderstanding repeatedly and after seeing it today decided to make the thread.

Ok, though they can bleed into each other easily. Cael Sanderson used to use an ankle pick setup to get a hand on the foot and then transition to a low single (and often a low double) to finish. Plus you can easily set up low singles with head control. What does it matter?

Right Click + Copy Image URL + click Mountain picture looking thing in message box + paste Image URL + Preview Post to prevent looking like a Jackass + Post for self satisfaction.

Awesome thank you sir. Instead of the Mountain, what do you press for a video?

Awesome thank you sir. Instead of the Mountain, what do you press for a video?

lol... try the "Youtube" button

haha.

Well hey... at least you know the difference between an Ankle Pick and a Low Single...

Is this possible to do from mobile?

can we see a gif of a regular ankle pick then?

Back