Television Anime and Manga v41

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by JBSchroeds, Aug 12, 2019.

1. salamander Blerd Belt

Word?

2. JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

Anybody notice some of shonen jump's series have been taking on a more relaxed release schedule, more of a 3/4-1 thing where they do three or four regular chapters a month and take a break week with something short? Moon Land has been doing this for a good while and the new series Monster #8 (which is pretty decent so far) is also moving to that kind of schedule. Honestly I hope this becomes a regular thing across the industry because artist burnout is such a big issue and most can't afford to be a Miura and go at whatever pace they feel like.

Iron Mang likes this.
  3. Iron Mang I keep planets in orbit

yeah, I have noticed that. It’s fine if I’m not fully caught up on a manga, but when I’m all caught up I’m too anxious for the next chapter! lol

Mangaka do get burnt out though. I couldn’t imagine knocking out 18+ paged every week! That pace is pretty insane for everyone involved.

There was a pretty good manga I read a while back about a mangaka do with one the story teller, and the other the artist. It did a pretty good and realistic job of portraying the life of mangaka. I can’t remember the name right now, but post it when I do. It’s definitely worth a read for us manga fans!

4. Iron Mang I keep planets in orbit

Found it! This is from the creators of Death Note.

Bakuman

Synopsis from MAL:

Despite being a talented artist, middle school student Moritaka Mashiro is unsure about his future, accepting that he will simply lead a normal life. After seeing one of Mashiro’s drawings in class, Akito Takagi—an aspiring writer—insists that they write a manga together. But Mashiro is hesitant—his uncle, a mangaka, had died from overworking just a few years prior. However, when Mashiro hears that his crush, Miho Azuki, aims to be a voice actress, he becomes determined to create a manga that can be adapted into an anime for her to star in. Reciprocating Mashiro’s feelings, she agrees to get married once they have both achieved their dreams.

Bakuman. chronicles Mashiro and Takagi’s successes and struggles in their attempts to be serialized in Weekly Shounen Jump and become famous mangakas. Will their gamble pay off, or will they join the countless number of failures?

5. JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

Yeah, Bakuman is definitely worth a read.

SaiWa likes this.
  6. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

The official gundaminfo youtube has Zeta Gundam New Translation 3 parts and other full length stuff with subtitles.

EDIT: Watched the first two parts, then later saw the 3rd part was made a private video.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 9:37 AM
  7. boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

I'm all caught up with Black Clover. It was nice to be able to watch so many episodes at my leisure pace and really enjoying the series. Also hopped on to God of High School, however 2 weeks ago I decided to watch the fan-made condensed version of Naruto that removed all the fillers. I think it's called Naurto Kai? I'm currently in the Chunin Exam arc where there still in the forest so still in the early parts of the entire series. Can't believe it took me this long to watch Naruto. Hopefully I'm not missing out on much from watching the condensed version. So for now I plan to put Black Clover on hold so I can watch more episodes at once and also put God of High School on hold until the season is complete in about a month or so.

8. God_Emperor_Of_Mankind Let's Palaver! Platinum Member

If you notice all the episodes of the current season are hovering around episode 8 or 9 so it'll take just a month. I always wait for the season to complete before I start an anime.

boingyman likes this.
  9. GSP4tw Black Belt

Anyone check out that Great Pretender series on Netflix?

10. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ikuza likes this.
  11. method115 Titanium Belt

Have it on my list. Going to check it out after I finish Ergo Proxy. If you check it out come back and let us know what you think.

12. Lavitz It’s Showtime!

George trolling with this chapter pace.

Billy started moving!!!! Holy crap!!!!

He moved his arm...No punches thrown...

13. JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

There are a shitload. You should be more specific on what sort of series you're looking for. But just as general recommendations:
    Solo Leveling
    Peerless Dad
    Kingdom
    Vinland Saga
    Tower of God
    Gosu
    Wind Breaker

PS: don't bump the old threads, there was a link to this newer one four posts above yours. It was in big bright orange text.

SugarKrok likes this.
  14. Chappi Purple Belt

I never read a manga but I do know that anime is for 14 year old boys and no one else.
    Or Japan is filled with really creepy, rapey men.
    It seems they just have to make 75% of anime somewhat disgusting towards woman, not to mention every funny moment ever in an anime is 1 guy yelling and another crying and that's the whole joke.
    Although that could just be cultural, maybe they find that shit funny in Japan.
    But it all seems to be made for young boys who will probably turn into creeps from watching anime.
    There are a few cool ( mostly horror) anime, but I would say at least 75% is female unfriendly rapey and unfunny shit.

15. method115 Titanium Belt

I don't really watch anime for comedy. Never really found it funny except for a few anime here and there that make me laugh sometimes. The perverted stuff in anime seems to be pretty new from what I've seen. I don't feel like it always used to be so prevalent the way it is now but I also have more access to anime than ever so that could be why. I have grown tired of that overt pervert stuff there's been two anime recently that I cut off cause I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Plunderer and The hero is overpowered but overly cautious or something like that.

I don't think 75% of anime is female unfriendly though. It's a lot of anime (especially more recently) but I don't think it's that much.

16. salamander Blerd Belt

Finishe binge watching parasyte a few days ago. It was mostly good however there were some annoying parts. I never much care for whiny weak women that cry on the protagonist all the time.

17. Dragonsamurai White Belt

One Piece is hot these days. Current arc Is the best yet!

18. JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

Eh, that's just shonen. It's the genre that's had the most success in the west, but it's only one of many in Japan. There are four main categories in anime/manga and it's based on who the target audience is:
    Shonen: boys
    Seinin: adult men
    Shoujo: girls
    Josei: adult women
    Each of these categories has multiple magazines dedicated to them and anime series get pulled from all four categories.
    It is. Sexual assault is a major problem in Japan. It's not like the gang-rape central that is India, but its still a very sexist culture.
    Japanese humor is often really different from western humor. I usually don't like it and rarely find it funny. There's often no subtlety and it's done in huge broad gestures. Definitely a cultural difference.
    Funny you say that, the horror stuff I've read has some of the highest percentage of rapey unfunny shit.

k1ngjester likes this.
  19. SugarKrok Purple Belt

I know there's as many manga as we've got cities, but I didn't want to specify and just check out whatever people prepose.

Thanal for the recoms. I read quite a bit of Tower of God a long time ago, but at aome point I lost my place and forgot the entire story.

I've read vinland up to date.

Will check out all the others.

Btw- I just rejoined shounen jump. Read chapter 1 of Tokyo Shinobi Squad. Color me a ninja fetishes, but i like it.

I wish I could vote to insure it goes on.

20. streets ahead Purple Belt

Is anyone watching the second season of re: zero? It is pretty good and it just showed the most gruesome death I have ever seen in an anime.