Anime and Manga v40: Repeated Thread Necromancy Edition

JBSchroeds

99 problems, and they're all turtles!
@Silver
Reaction score
Congratulations! You've found yourself in the Anime and Manga thread, one of the Mayberry's longest running thread series (it's been more than eight years now!). Feel free to chat about whatever you may be watching or reading. New posters are welcome and most of the regulars can give suggestions for nearly any genre interests you may have.

NOTICE: THREAD NECROMANCY MAY RESULT IN A VISIT FROM YOUR LOCAL MAGIC LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. ALWAYS USE LIVING THREADS TO PRESERVE TOPIC FRESHNESS.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-anime-and-manga-thread-10th-anniversary-edition.4135164/

Last edited:
Me and my wife watched Goblin Slayer. We didn't particularly liked it. Especially the rape-for-shock value. So we told our kids to avoid it. My son yesterday was complaining that he wasn't able to download episode 11.

<Deported1>

lol I actually told my daughter to leave the room during the last episode I watched. The show has calmed down a lot since the first episode but I'm always worried it will bring something similar back. Which I'm sure will happen eventually.

Don't know if it was mentioned in the last version of the thread, but Castlevania director has said he'd like to make a new Berserk anime in 2d handdrawn and close to the manga. Netflix might pick it up... That would be amazing!

Baki. It is pretty crazy. I feel like they could have made the series 8 episodes instead of 14 or whatever

Oh shit we finally on v40 probably couple more years until we get to v41 unless new people come here start talking about anime n manga

Slime is probably my favourite show this year, with a name like that, I was expecting to hate it but it ended up being my top anime this year. Baki 2018 is pretty cool too.

Me and my wife watched Goblin Slayer. We didn't particularly liked it. Especially the rape-for-shock value. So we told our kids to avoid it. My son yesterday was complaining that he wasn't able to download episode 11.

<Deported1>

It's deafeningly bad, Christ awful groddy crap in a world that if you think about it...Makes absolutely no fucking sense. I'll just copy and paste a comment from someone else on another thread.

The concept is interesting "what if we told a story from the perspective of a background character" is a novel idea. But the execution has the setting bending over backwards to make Goblins some major threat relative to everywhere the titular character exists instead of being the nuisance they are told to be. Mostly by having people just behave completely unrealistic in the face of the danger they actually present. I've only read the first novel but the starting setting is a frontier so far away from the actual front-line of fighting that they don't even get news of the demon lord's defeat for a couple days. If Goblins are the most prevalent attacking force to the point that the Guild officials are stated to actually want a dedicated goblin extermination force I ask the following questions:
  • Why do goblin quests keep getting handed off to complete newbies who by the stories own admission; will fail 3/4 times on average
  • Why don't goblin slaying quests get subsidized by the guild if they know low pay from the requester is the reason more capable adventurers don't take them
  • Related to the previous point, how do these poor villages also manage to pay for troll exterminations or other higher ranking monsters if they are too poor to get decent adventurers for goblin slaying with their existing funds?
  • Why is Goblin slayer unique in having a grudge against Goblins to the point that he's studied them?
  • How come it's not more common knowledge of Goblin attack patterns if they are so frequent?

There are more I could consider but the end result of these questions is a story where it's frustrating to think about how the fictional world operates because it's missing any underlying logic to it. Not exactly good storytelling and it's just another example of an incredibly mediocre story getting pushed to the forefront (with two manga adaptations and an upcoming anime).

They also brought up some interesting points about racist undertones about stuff like this even in a fantasy context since it HAS been used to dehumanize certain groups, but that ones more YMMV, though I DO see the point and argument presented and it also explains why more modern media tends to make orcs and goblins more of just another sentient race that humanity simply shares living space with and often giving them more complex life structures and even forms of worship with their conflicts with humanity being more complex and not just, "Race of Evil creatures needs to be exterminated" which can have some rather unfortunate implications to say the least.

Als, he fact that rape is the series got to so often isn't just gross and creepy, but has this disgusting misogynistic feel to it since the worst and most horrific depictions of violence in the entire series all happen to women including some POV rape scenes according to a friend of mine doing a review on the series on MAL which is just repugnant and unnecessary.

Edit: Yeah it's actually REALLY fucking racist if you think about it critically.

Last edited:
As an aside, I've not kept up with much of anything aside from Slime and Zombieland Saga which are my two overall tops, but I REALLY wanna watch Gridman, Skullface Honda, Juliet, Vampire, and maybe Spyce since I've heard they're good/funny amongst several whose names escape me.

lol I actually told my daughter to leave the room during the last episode I watched. The show has calmed down a lot since the first episode but I'm always worried it will bring something similar back. Which I'm sure will happen eventually.

Slime is probably my favourite show this year, with a name like that, I was expecting to hate it but it ended up being my top anime this year. Baki 2018 is pretty cool too.

You'll know you if you like slime or not in the first episode. The protagonist is immensely likable. I lol'd hard at ' destroy my hard drive' being the first thing to come out of his mouth when he's dying.

The slime is also awesome He's almost exactly the same as the protagonist in Overlord. Similar world building, bringing people together, overpowered as hell, etc.

Finally got around to starting Pluto. I'm only a few chapters in, but I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy it. I haven't read a Urasawa manga that I disliked yet and I doubt this will be the first.

I'm glad to see that he also has a new manga called Renzoku Manga Shōsetsu Asadora! , or just Asadora for short. Hopefully by the time I finish pluto and billy bat, there will be a few volumes of Asadora released.

Last edited:
You'll know you if you like slime or not in the first episode. The protagonist is immensely likable. I lol'd hard at ' destroy my hard drive' being the first thing to come out of his mouth when he's dying.

The slime is also awesome He's almost exactly the same as the protagonist in Overlord. Similar world building, bringing people together, overpowered as hell, etc.

Kind of agree on the Overlord comparison, but he tilts WAAAAY hard in the opposite direction of the morality spectrum compared to Ainz. And in terms of scale, Slimedad isn't particularly OP in the context of his series compared to Bonedad. At least not YET.

SorrowfulHarshGardensnake-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_pgyng4efYF1uaylcyo5_500.gif

8b9745d908f989e91811f7b7caaacca3ff93ff64r1-540-300_hq.gif

What's the best non shounen, non echhi as fuck anime you guys have seen lately? I'm looking for something a little different than the typical anime.

It's the 25th in my neck of the woods. I opened the gift my kids gave me. It's a white shirt.

Then I saw the jump logo!

<DCWhoa>

When I pulled it out it's black clover.

<DCrying>

Back