Anime and Manga v36

What would you guys say is the best anime to watch first if you've never really watched anything but a few Miyazaki movies?

I'd prefer nothing that's too cutesy. For some reason a lot of anime seems really shrill and cutesy to me.

You can't go wrong with Prison School... heh.

I'm also going to get on the Seirei no Moribito (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit) wagon. It's a very solid series.

[YT]IBERUgx6ChQ[/YT]

YOU MOTHER FUCKER!!!! :icon_chee

Madoka Magica

[YT]6CTHwEZK2JA[/YT]

Looks super cutsey but trust me, its a lot more than that. Its a series that perfectly fits the 3 episode rule. That is, if you don't like where the series is going after you finish the 3rd episode you can drop it but you have to watch the first three in their entirety to get a proper sense of the series. From then on it gets...interesting to say the least.

I haven't actually watched it, but isn't Madoka a genre deconstruction? If you aren't familiar with magical girl series to begin with won't a lot of it go over your head?

I haven't actually watched it, but isn't Madoka a genre deconstruction? If you aren't familiar with magical girl series to begin with won't a lot of it go over your head?

While I've never really seen a traditional magical girl series before I was at least aware of many of the tropes but I didn't feel like one would have to be too familiar with them to enjoy the series. A friend of mine who wasn't nearly as aware of them as I am watched it around the same time I did and he also loved the series.

I don't think you have to be a fan of magical girl series to enjoy it even if that might enhance the experience a little. Also I would recommend it to you too if you haven't seen it, its only 12 episodes long.

Thanks for the suggestions gang. Michiko & Hatchin looks like it gets to be a lot of fun once the mayhem starts. Seems like a good place to start. Cowboy Bebop appears to have a killer soundtrack and spaceships - and you can't go wrong with spaceships. Madoka does seem a little too cutesy for a first foray in this world, maybe that's one for down the road a ways.

Ghost In The Shell looks like a cool high-tech future setting, which is appealing. Not sure what to make of Seirei no Moribito, seems a little too earnest maybe, at least for now. Claymore looks kind of badass, although that amateur trailer doesn't do it many favors.

Thanks for the suggestions gang. Michiko & Hatchin looks like it gets to be a lot of fun once the mayhem starts. Seems like a good place to start. Cowboy Bebop appears to have a killer soundtrack and spaceships - and you can't go wrong with spaceships. Madoka does seem a little too cutesy for a first foray in this world, maybe that's one for down the road a ways.

Ghost In The Shell looks like a cool high-tech future setting, which is appealing. Not sure what to make of Seirei no Moribito, seems a little too earnest maybe, at least for now. Claymore looks kind of badass, although that amateur trailer doesn't do it many favors.

Michiko & Hatchin isn't as action packed as that trailer makes it seem though it definitely has action.

I think Seirei no Moribito is a good starting point because it balances all its elements well and really takes advantage of the medium with the fantasy setting and some of the concepts.

Cowboy Bebop is a tried and true gateway anime because, aside from just being a good show in terms of score, action, characters etc, it has a great dub and its not something that relies on Japanese cultural assumptions.

Michiko & Hatchin isn't as action packed as that trailer makes it seem though it definitely has action.

I think Seirei no Moribito is a good starting point because it balances all its elements well and really takes advantage of the medium with the fantasy setting and some of the concepts.

Cowboy Bebop is a tried and true gateway anime because, aside from just being a good show in terms of score, action, characters etc, it has a great dub and its not something that relies on Japanese cultural assumptions.

Serei no Moribito looks really well-made, but does it have a sense of humour? The trailer makes it seem a little dour, whereas Michiko & Hatchin and Cowboy Bebop seem to have a skip in their stride.

Serei no Moribito looks really well-made, but does it have a sense of humour? The trailer makes it seem a little dour, whereas Michiko & Hatchin and Cowboy Bebop seem to have a skip in their stride.

It has humor but its very grounded humor as opposed to some of the more over the top stuff in anime. The show alternates between more intense periods and then slower ones well and its in the slower ones where the characters are more relaxed that their interactions produce the humor whereas as a show like Michiko & Hatchin or Samurai Champloo will use coincidences and happenstance to set up action and humor simultaneously.

Its definitely more dramatic than humorous but the humor is effective in that its used sparingly to lighten the mood of the show and to that end its great.

Just my obligatory post in this version. September will mark 3 months in a row we've gotten a Berserk chapter, that is all.

Just my obligatory post in this version. September will mark 3 months in a row we've gotten a Berserk chapter, that is all.

I guess it really is the end of the world!

Also based on this thread I realized i missed Kids on the slope during my non anime watching years. any other great series like 2010- early 2014.

I guess it really is the end of the world!

Also based on this thread I realized i missed Kids on the slope during my non anime watching years. any other great series like 2010- early 2014.

True. That's probably a better indicator of the end of the world than that other thread is claiming. I'm interested to see what happens with Rickert now.

Legit shounen with well animated fights please.
I'm aware of Naruto, Claymore, Berserk and Blech (Blech is not what Im looking for...the others are great)

I try to do this every once in a while and people recommend me DBZ and other stiff nostalgia fodder. Give me something smooth please! Or if not, at least something dark.
And something where the protagonist isn't a 13 year old girl in a schoolgirls outfit

4198281b08912e2d6f31941a3780911a.jpg

7d0587635f298df7f61a220586a30fe090b632ba_hq.gif

znjxNp.gif

EDIT: Oh, and Ive seen Sword of the stranger. But yes, that final fight scene is exactly what I want.

the newer hunterXhunter anime series has some really well animated fights. Full metal alchemist brotherhood has some good ones as well. The Hellsing OVA has some good animation all around, not exactly shonen but worth mentioning.

the newer hunterXhunter anime series has some really well animated fights. Full metal alchemist brotherhood has some good ones as well. The Hellsing OVA has some good animation all around, not exactly shonen but worth mentioning.

I remember the old hxh fondly, not exactly because of the fights but because of the music and the charm. Less then stellar character design unfortunately.
Forgot to mention full metal alchemist, Ive seen it as well. Some good fights for sure, but not on Narutos level of length and complexity. Will definitely check out Hellsing, thats actually a new one. Thanks

I remember the old hxh fondly, not exactly because of the fights but because of the music and the charm. Less then stellar character design unfortunately.
Forgot to mention full metal alchemist, Ive seen it as well. Some good fights for sure, but not on Narutos level of length and complexity. Will definitely check out Hellsing, thats actually a new one. Thanks

I second Hellsing. It's really good.
One of the coolest, illest main characters in anime.

Gangsta is new and looks like it has potential. You might also like Samurai Champloo. I know you said you didn't want old stuff but Ninja Scroll is a must if you haven't seen it.

Gangsta is new and looks like it has potential. You might also like Samurai Champloo. I know you said you didn't want old stuff but Ninja Scroll is a must if you haven't seen it.

Ninja scroll is excellent as well as vampire hunter 2000. The same guy has also made a highlander anime that might be worth checking out. Samurai champloo is great as well although its a different style of series from naruto and doesnt really have these larger than life battles that I was looking for with this post. Still a sweet series

FYI, there's two Hellsing series: the original TV run from 2001 and the OVA Ultimate series from 2006-2012. You'll want to be watching Ultimate, it has far superior animation and it actually follows the manga.

FYI, there's two Hellsing series: the original TV run from 2001 and the OVA Ultimate series from 2006-2012. You'll want to be watching Ultimate, it has far superior animation and it actually follows the manga.

I have a feeling JBS secretly enjoys Hellsing when no one's around :wink:

Back