Anime and Manga v36

Does it hold up? I saw it when I was a teenager and I liked it somewhat but thought it was repetitive. That said I came into it looking for another action series and got a lot more episodic romantic humor so maybe if I rewatch it with different expectations I might enjoy it more.
And did anyone else love the tranny in that show? The one with the band of 7 that was always hitting on Inuyasha? She was great, my favorite of the Band of 7

The animation is dated, but that's never stopped me from enjoying a series. Much like Rurouni Kenshin, there is a lot of repeated battles where Inuyasha gets in a battle/gets beat up/uses Kagome for motivation/uses Tetsuiga and wins. I did always like Sesshomaru and Koga as characters so it's cool seeing them again. I completely forgot Sesshomaru had the little girl Rin as a travel partner, she is awesome. There are a good amount of feels episodes too, worst one was the little girl who died in a fire and haunted her family. The episode with the pied piper demon. I do enjoy the Miroku/Sango budding relationship and his pervertedness always cracks me up. I'm at around 120 episodes of the original series which is much farther than I ever watched on Toonami/Adult Swim. Excited to see it conclude, and even more so to watch the 2009 Final Act series that concludes everything.

The tranny was probably my favorite member of the band of 7. No joke I thought it was a woman until I heard the term "he" two times. I had to stop the episode and check the character on Wikipedia just to be sure I wasn't insane. Fun character though, in a time trannies weren't as popular as they are now, especially on Sherdog :p

Side note: Has anyone here ever played the PS1 game Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale? Watching the series reminded me of the game and how much fun it was. Great 2D fighting game.

Review dump? Review dump!

4 Cut Hero - Ongoing - [F] - Fantasy action/comedy. The comedy didn't work, and the plotting was very poor.
7 Seeds - Ongoing - [C] - Survival stories of this sort rarely hold my interest. This one didn't seem to be breaking any new ground in the volume I read, and the artwork is pure shujo which is a style I don't care for.
Basuke no Megami-sama - Ongoing - [C-] - I gave up on this sports series about a girl starting b-ball after a volume. The reason it doesn't get an F is I'm not sure if my major issue with it is part of the original or a problem created by the scanlators. A couple of the characters speak with extremely thick accents, and the way it is written out makes it very hard to read to the point I started skipping their speech bubbles. I have a feeling this is a fuckup on the part of the scanlators, and it's one that makes it almost unreadable.
Blazing Transfer Sudent - Ongoing - [C] - This series may have been started in the early 80s, but it looks and reads like something from the 60s. That style (in both the art and storytelling) usually doesn't work for me, and it doesn't work for me here.
Desolate Era - Ongoing - [F] - Holy exposition, Batman! Really amateurish writing with a ton of information dumps that really didn't need to be done that way.
Duty after School - Ongoing - [C] - This drama webtoon is about kids being drafted into the military to fight an alien threat. The art can be interesting, but I didn't care for any of the characters and the writing wasn't breaking any new ground for this type of story.
Twin Spica - Complete - [B-] - I wanted to like this series, but I just didn't connect with the characters. The artwork is passable, but also didn't add anything to the experience. The emotional core of the story was well handled, but the plot was fairly thin and I wasn't invested enough in the characters to get through the whole thing.
Garouden - Complete - [F] - Same artist as Baki, and it's as comically awful here as it is in his other works. It's just sooooo bad.
GTO - Paradise Lost - Ongoing - [C] - I wasn't big on the original GTO (would give it a B-) but gave this a shot anyways. Seems like more of the same and I didn't want to bother continuing with something I knew I would, at best, feel "meh" about.
Into the Net! - Ongoing - [B?] - The chapters for this b-ball series are very short, so this grade is for a limited amount of content. It's not doing much new, but it has a certain charisma to it.
Joshi Kausei - Ongoing - [A-] - This comedy/slice-of-life story is about a teenage schoolgirl. It's unique in that there is no real dialog to any of it. I normally don't care much for these sorts of series but I found this one to be both cute and funny.
Mokushiroku Alice - Ongoing - [F] - I can't even tell you what this is about because I found the artwork to be bad to the point of distraction. I couldn't eve get through the first chapter I found it that unappealing.
Piano no Mori - Ongoing - [B] - This is a tough one to score. It has a timeskip partway through and I find the two sections to be noticeably different in quality. The opening part with the characters as children is a solid A. The second part...it just isn't as engaging and elements from the first part aren't cashed in on. It's also poorly paced, spending lots of time on unimportant side characters.
Pochi Kuro - Ongoing - [C] - This supernatural shonen just doesn't do anything all that interesting.
ReLIFE - Ongoing - [C] - This slice-of-life with a twist (similar to Again!!, with the character going back to high-school) starts out decently, but slowly loses it. The twist that made it interesting but erodes as things go on until it's basically just another school-life series, and that's not at all interesting.
Sket Dance - Ongoing - [F] - Very uninteresting take on school-life. It also has way too much text which kills the momentum and flow of reading it.
The Strongest - Ongoing - [F] - Uninteresting take on the school battle genre.
Valkyria Nainen Kikan - Ongoing - [F] - Bland artwork, bland storytelling, bland concept. Simply pointless.

Finish the series and you'll thank us. Champloo is amazing.

I finished watching on Netflix.

I think it had some of the best atmosphere, art, music, and cast of interesting characters. It scores really high in my mind in all those areas. Overall though, I didn't like it very much. The main characters never really changed. You never learned much about them, other than obvious things. And the interesting characters that they create so well, they just toss away. They last an episode and then the gang moves on. I get it's episodic but I just never really felt attached to anything. The climax of every show was the two samurai showing how good at fighting they are and not dying miraculously. So basically I hate the writing and over all story and like everything else.

Its worth watching if you're bored, and want something on as background noise. But to sit and watch, I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

To be more positive I finished Watching Sword Art online, and I thought that was amazing. I watched most of it twice actually. Everything on that show gets a 9/10 or higher from me. Other than little nit picks that's a fun anime to watch. Maybe i'm biased because I want to live in the world he lived in, but whatever the reason, I loved it.

Side note: Has anyone here ever played the PS1 game Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale? Watching the series reminded me of the game and how much fun it was. Great 2D fighting game.
had lots of fun with that game. still have it
To be more positive I finished Watching Sword Art online, and I thought that was amazing. I watched most of it twice actually. Everything on that show gets a 9/10 or higher from me. Other than little nit picks that's a fun anime to watch. Maybe i'm biased because I want to live in the world he lived in, but whatever the reason, I loved it.

you dont read anything positive about sao round these parts

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer Vol. 7-8 printed english came out. So good! Even being my third time through the series it's still amazing.

People don't like Sword Art?

I really liked the progression of the story. I LOVED the world. I've always wanted to be in that World since I played diablo 2. The quests they went on I believed. It really was a lot like an mmo. And I liked how some people just said fuck it and went fishing. He should have sold the seed for a dollar a download though. Give the proceeds to the players of Sword art who got trapped.

^Check out Log Horizon if you liked SAO. Imo it's a lot better than SAO ever was. If you want more series' like it just ask.

People don't like Sword Art?

I really liked the progression of the story. I LOVED the world. I've always wanted to be in that World since I played diablo 2. The quests they went on I believed. It really was a lot like an mmo. And I liked how some people just said fuck it and went fishing. He should have sold the seed for a dollar a download though. Give the proceeds to the players of Sword art who got trapped.

I watched part of that video and I had to stop at "Un-Explained Game break" Have you people not seen the Matrix. The power of Love allowed him to overcome simple code. His mind rose above. Episode 15 through me off. But I got over it. And then it got back on track eventually. Unlike a show like death note which just fell apart.

How is the actual release quality?

Physical print size is on the small size, but they've been consistently high quality otherwise. The seem to be well bound, the printing is crisp, the paper has good feel, the translation reads well, I haven't found any typographical errors in any of the four books, and at 432 pages for ~$14 they're a solid value.

I watched part of that video and I had to stop at "Un-Explained Game break" Have you people not seen the Matrix. The power of Love allowed him to overcome simple code. His mind rose above. Episode 15 through me off. But I got over it. And then it got back on track eventually. Unlike a show like death note which just fell apart.

Oh, the power of love and friendship. the pinnacle of anime story telling.

Death second part was definitely worse then the first one, but the second half of SAO is so driven by plotholes, cliched anime tropes and overall lacking sense.

Death second part was definitely worse then the first one, but the second half of SAO is so driven by plotholes, cliched anime tropes and overall lacking sense.

I don't think I've seen an anime that didn't have crazy ass writing at some point. I admit it had weak points for sure. But every anime always gets crazy. Not to dis it, I love it. I've just learned to ignore little offenses I guess. I focused more on Kirito's story and his desire to over come. He beat the matrix. Beat the game. And I just loved the world so much I enjoyed it. Also the story with the cousin was hilarious and sexy.

Longest berserk hiatus was 10months.

Which was broken by a seven page chapter and immediately followed by another 10 month hiatus :icon_lol:
I have no idea if that's true, just feels like it

Back