Anime and Manga v36

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by JBSchroeds, Aug 15, 2015.

1. JBSchroeds

JBSchroeds The Lizard Knight

This is the Anime and Manga thread, up to version 36. This is a place to give reviews, look for suggestions, and discuss whatever you may be watching/reading.

If you are new to these threads, then welcome. We've been a part of the Mayberry for closing in on five years now. There are a bunch of well informed regular posters, and people are more than willing to give suggestions. The one thing to keep in mind: there have been over 35,000 posts in these threads talking about well over a thousand different titles. It would be impossible to list everything in this OP, so I've decided to a list the works that are among the most often recommended. Please feel free to bring up anything you'd like, but remember, just because it isn't in the OP doesn't mean nobody else likes your favorites.

Popular Suggestions
    Anime
    Akira
    Aria
    Azumanga Daioh
    Baccano
    Casshern Sins
    Claymore
    Code Geass
    Cowboy Bebop
    Death Note
    Evangelion
    Fate/Zero
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the first series is quite a bit different and was done before the manga was finished)
    Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
    Ghost in the Shell
    Gintama
    Golden Boy
    Initial D
    Last Exile
    Legend of Galactic Heroes
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Mobile Suit Gundam: 8th MS Team
    Monster
    Ninja Scroll (Movie is better than the TV series)
    Nodame Cantabile
    Outlaw Star
    Planetes
    Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal
    Samurai Champloo
    Spice and Wolf
    Space Brothers
    Trigun
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (the original is a classic, but shows its age)
    And just about anything by Studio Ghibli: Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc

Manga
    20th Century Boys
    Again!!
    All Rounder Meguru
    Berserk
    Break Blade
    The Breaker
    Crows, Worst
    Dorohedoro
    Gantz
    GTO
    Hajime no Ippo
    Historie
    Histories Strongest Disciple Kennichi (HSDK)
    Holyland
    Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru (KSKM)
    The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
    Mushishi
    One Piece
    Pluto
    REAL
    Rookies
    Slam Dunk
    Tough
    Tower of God
    Until Death Do Us Part
    Vagabond
    Vinland Saga
    Yotsubato!

Streaming Video (Hulu/Crunchyroll/etc)
    Many good shows are available through video services such as Hulu and Crunchyroll (Netflix used to be a good source for anime, but they've dropped most of their library in the last year or so). The following are links to some of the better series available. If you have anything you think should be added, mention them or PM me, and I'll add them to the list (please include the URL).

News and Information
    There are quite a few good sites to get news and information about anime/manga. Here are some of the most useful:
    Anime News Network - Also referred to as "ANN", this site has lots of headlines, season previews, video releases, and other such info
    Baka-Updates Manga - This site is an excellent resource for looking up information on manga. It has author info, series ratings, and release info on scanlation progress.
    My Anime List - A useful resource that allows you to track what you've watched and give a score or review.
    Anime Database - Good research tool for finding series, with searches by genre, production studio and more. Also lists fansub groups who may be working on a title.

Compilation of Anime Database Rankings
    ANN
    MyAnimelist
    Anime-Planet
    AniDB
    Hummingbird

Old Threads:

2. Takun

Takun Normal :)

35 took so because people can't avoid getting the ban hammer around here xD

Hey at least unlucky guy,dead girl got a C. I really liked it and I believe I posted it early in the thread.

Umaru got an F though :( IMO I feel it translates better as a anime series then a manga format. I myself couldn't really get into the book itself but the anime I haven't missed an episode...my god though so many F's lol

3. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

Just admit you hate manga JBS.

4. JBSchroeds

It seemed like it would work better as an anime. I thought the opening you posted was interesting, but when I read the manga it seemed really lacking.

And all those Fs were why I'd been putting off writing all those reviews. This year has been really bad for finding new good stuff. Only a handful of new series that I've tried have found their way onto my continued reading list.

5. Spawned_Fighter

Spawned_Fighter nobody but me

havent been watching much. just gangsta

6. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

well since last night i watched 17episodes of The Heroic Legend of Arslan. I like it, but probably should've finished watching Fate/Zero instead lol.

7. ConsiderThis

ConsiderThis Black Belt

Twin Spica is kind of like Space Brothers. I own some of the volumes. Another one you might enjoy is 7seeds, though the art for that is a little dated.

8. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

Add parasyte, tokyo ghoul, and zankyou no terror. All are good, but Zankyou is probably the best anime to come out in the last few years imo.

9. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

the plot was kinda shit, but everything else made up for it.

just accept Ping Pong as the overlord and savior of anime.

10. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

Ive literally never heard anyone ever say the plot of Zankyou was shit. What do you consider a decent plot like then?

11. Thunderflash500

Thunderflash500 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Is it ok to have sex with your underage cousin in Japan? I'm watching Sword Art online and it took a strange turn. Needless to say I'm aroused and confused.

12. ConsiderThis

ConsiderThis Black Belt

It's legal and "more" socially acceptable than it is here, but it's not exactly normal.

13. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

So we followed these characters all this time, not knowing why they did all of what they did and the big reveal was that they did it to reveal the truth... Which was painfully obvious since episode 2... Why did they keep their motives a secret again? uhm ok. one of the most anticlimatic endings in anime that I've seen so far.

I feel like the anime as a whole despite being so serious didn't really have any message to tell... the riddles, the bombings, Shibazaki, Five ( who was a horrible written character to begin with ) felt so pointless in retrospect.

it tried to put everything above together to appear like some deep psychological thriller but it ultimately felt shallow.

That said the music, the overall art direction and the animation quality are so damn amazing that I gave it an 9/10.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  14. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I'm just waiting for more durarara to come out and for space brothers to finish downloading (I decided on the anime instead of the manga.)

I also noticed one of my cousins owns the "a certain magical index" series, so I watched 6 episodes of that. I don't think I'll watch anymore of it; it just feels like a show I've seen done a million times before.

I may try to marathon kids on the slope while Space brothers torrents. I've heard it's a good show based around music, and I've loved shows like Beck, nodame cantible, even Nana (I know it's girly),but basically if it revolves around music, I'll watch it. I don't follow these anime threads much, so I don't know if a lot of you have seen kids on the slope, but regardless—I'll let you know my opinion when I'm done watching it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  15. jayrico

jayrico Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon

Yeah the writing fell apart while the direction, art, animation and music were great. The story got lost in its own mystery. Also, Five was an awfully written character.

So far this season I've liked Gate, Gangsta and School-Live the most. The battles in Gate remind so much of when I used to play CIV IV and attack countries that are hundreds of years behind me in technology.

16. Yodsanan

Yodsanan K'FESTA.1

KOTS is my favorite music anime but I haven't seen Beck yet, so I might just do that now.

17. ConsiderThis

ConsiderThis Black Belt

Kids on the Slope is great. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a well-written SoL with great music.

18. ConsiderThis

ConsiderThis Black Belt

Going to watch GATE later today. I've heard good things about it.

19. Total Immortal

Total Immortal Blackhawk Belt Platinum Member

So v35 finally ended. Hmm. What are your favorite new anime series airing right now? Haven't watched any new series but from what I've heard Gangsta is looking pretty good. Saw a couple gifs from Shimoneta and still can't figure out what the hell that's supposed to be about.

I made the mistake of starting a long nostalgic rewatch of Inuyasha. All together there's a little less than 200 episodes. I don't know what I've gotten myself into but I can't stop watching..

20. JBSchroeds

I hadn't heard of it before but just started and it seems to be fairly funny so far. Similar sort of concept to the series Again!!.