angulo turns down $750,000.00 to fight Martinez

Pavlik opted out of a re-match with Martinez. I think P-Will is trying to make a run at 147. Martinez doesn't have many options.

Yeah I'm still a bit bitter about that. That tells me that Martinez really took a lot out of him.... Which is a shame. I would like to see P-Will fight Martinez again. I think this time Martinez wins. But a fight I'd like to see nonetheless.

It sounds like he is scared but how the hell is he bitting the hand that feeds him. By trying to control his own career? Sergio Martinez would beat his ass though.

Well here is Angulo side of the story.

BoxingScene.com spoke to Alfredo "El Perro" Angulo about the recent buzz created by his allegedly turning down a fight with WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. Angulo's manager Mike Criscio told BoxingScene's Lem Saterfield that he thought Angulo should have accepted the offer of $750,000 for the fight.

Angulo told BoxingScene - "There has been a lot of talk that I don't want to fight Martinez and that I am ducking him. That is absolutely not the truth. I think a fight between myself and Sergio would be a great fight. He is a great fighter and a champion. I felt that he beat Paul Williams when they foughtt year."

El Perro says that he just wants to be treated fairly. He said he didn't ask for more money than Martinez even though he heard that Martinez was going to make substantially more money for the proposed fight. When I told him that it had been reported that he asked for $1 million dollars Angulo had this to say - "Look they offered me $750,000 for the fight and I told them to give me a little more. I told them I would take the fight for $900,000. It was basically take it or leave it. They didn't negotiate or anything. I heard from my managers one time and that was it."

Angulo went further into the discussions by saying - "Here is the thing people need to know. Martinez not only was going to make a lot more than me, they were also going to give him a percentage of the gate. They were talking about doing this fight at Staples Center (Los Angeles) and they were going to give him a percentage of the gate."

"Let me ask you a question Ryan. What kind of people are going to come to a fight in Staples Center?" I told him that it would be mostly Mexican people. He responded by saying, "Exactly. I am bringing the fans and he is getting a percentage of the gate but not me? I was at the Paul Williams-Kermit Cintron fight here in the LA area and there was way less than 1000 people there. Williams versus Martinez in Atlantic City wasn't exactly full either. They really wanted to make a rematch between Williams and Martinez and when that didn't happen they asked me to fill in. I would love the fight but treat me fair."

I told Angulo that other websites have reported that when he fought Joachim Alcine as the co-feature to the Tim Bradley versus Luis Abregu fight there were only about 2000 fans in attendance. The Mexican replied:

"That was Bradley's fight. I wasn't even on the billboard. He was the main event. My name was hardly on any of the fight cards and the few posters that my name was on it was written very small. That arena in Palm Springs barely holds over 2000 people anyway. This would be a fight where I am the main event. Lets see how many fans come out."

The arena at Palm Springs holds about 2200 people and even though there were a few empty seats the box office did turn away some people because the fight was sold out. (I attended the fight and heard from some fans after the fight that they were unable to purchase tickets)

Angulo ended the conversation by saying that if he was presented with a fair offer that he would be more than happy to fight Martinez.

"I think a fight between Martinez and myself is a big fight. Not just a regular fight but a very big fight that the fans would want to see. All they have to do is make a fair offer and we can do this."

Angulo Fires Back on Turning Down $750K For Martinez - Boxing News

I think that is the part that bothers Angulo the most. That Martinez was going to get a piece of the gate and ANgulo wasn't.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Angulo gets $350k for beating Alchine in a fight where Shaw had to buy the left-over tickets (and we're not talking a huge arena here...) so he could claim it was sold out.

And now he wants $900k for a bout?

Please.

This right here is probably the clearest example of ducking by pricing yourself out of a fight that we've seen since the original Hopkins/Calzaghe mess.

Some of yall are fucking stupid. I know you think a fighter should fight anybody, anywhere, anytime.....and thats why you're here posting on a computer.

there is no reason for a guy in his position to take a fight like that. Martinez is CLEARLY the better fighter at this point in there careers, and Angulo is still learning the game. Not to mention his style presents a horrid matchup for Angulo.

And to the guy before me. Seriously? This is comparable to the Hopkins/Calzaghe mess? Angulo doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as either of those guys. He is a good fighter.....nothing more, nothing less. Cal/Hopkins are hall of famers with MASSIVE drawing power in multiple countries. this isn't even an apples/oranges comparison....more like apples/prime rib argument.

Choosing to not sign the dotted line in a HUGE step up in competition is not ducking.....its looking for other options. And its also being smart.

Some of yall are fucking stupid. I know you think a fighter should fight anybody, anywhere, anytime.....and thats why you're here posting on a computer.

there is no reason for a guy in his position to take a fight like that. Martinez is CLEARLY the better fighter at this point in there careers, and Angulo is still learning the game. Not to mention his style presents a horrid matchup for Angulo.

And to the guy before me. Seriously? This is comparable to the Hopkins/Calzaghe mess? Angulo doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as either of those guys. He is a good fighter.....nothing more, nothing less. Cal/Hopkins are hall of famers with MASSIVE drawing power in multiple countries. this isn't even an apples/oranges comparison....more like apples/prime rib argument.

Choosing to not sign the dotted line in a HUGE step up in competition is not ducking.....its looking for other options. And its also being smart.

touche

Has anyone actually claimed this?

Oh... no... they haven't.

Good start.

And if Perro had come out and said that I'd have no trouble with it. If he's said "Listen, this would be the biggest payday of my career and give me a chance to move from a prospect/contender to truly one of the world's best. But Martinez is an elite fighter and I think I'm about 3 or 4 fights from being at that level myself. In two years I'll happily take this fight but right now I don't think it's best for me..." or words to that effect I'd be happy.

But no.

What does he actually say?

"I told them I would take the fight for $900,000. It was basically take it or leave it. They didn't negotiate or anything. I heard from my managers one time and that was it."

Because poor little Angulo (who remember, made $350k for his last fight) would only get $750k not $900k he refuses to fight.

He priced himself out of the fight rather than simply pulling out and admitting the truth... and that is why it's ducking.

1) I think you really need to check your history when it comes to drawing power, especially with regards to Hopkins.

2) The comparison relates to the way both Perro and Hopkins set completely unrealistic financial demands as a way of avoiding fights (something Hopkins has a history of doing), not with regards to their comparative skills.

And let's look at the other options. You may be happy to watch Perro beat on the Alchine's, Joel Julio's, Yorgey's and Gutierrez's of the world, but I expect something more. I expect him to eventually step up his competition once again... and considering that 154lbs isn't exactly full of top competition it could be a fairly big step. Who does he face next? Try to pick up a title off K9? A half-retired Daniel Santos? Face Ryan Rhodes? Vanes Martirosyan? Other than the fact he'd get a title from Bundrage none of those fights mean anything and do anything for him. The real top dogs (no pun) at around 154lbs can all cause him real trouble... that's why it's called stepping up. Technically I believe he's the No.1 Contender for the WBO title... but I don't see him travelling to Europe (even though both him and Sergiy Dzinziruk are under Gary Shaw) and I'm not even sure Perro takes the fight.

And let's also remember... Perro's management like this fight... they chose this fight. Shaw (who's not known for throwing his fighters to the wolves) got Perro what he thought was a great deal (in monetary terms) and, just as importantly, further exposure on HBO post-fight (win or lose). Angulo's still a pretty young fighter and a loss (especially against the best) doesn't particularly hurt him... his loss to Cintron has arguably helped his career as it forced him to work on holes in his game... and seeing as pretty much every fighter post-Cintron has tried the same gameplan and he's knocked them all out it shows he's improved on it. Martinez isn't feather-fisted, but neither does he have the power to truly beat down Angulo in a way that might hurt him going on. If Angulo does lose then what happens? He fights on HBO again smashing a few lower level opponents and then in a year or two's time he again faces a big step up. He wouldn't be "exposed", he wouldn't be banished from our TV screens... he'd simply learn a bit more about himself and then keep going.

I guess we're different people though. I like to see fighters who are willing to step up and face top competition rather than continue to face fighters we all know they should beat. I like the fact that when Cintron won the IBF title he went straight after a rematch with Margarito in a match where everyone thought he would lose. I like that Michael Jennings stepped up and faced Cotto rather than continue to make decent paydays on the UK domestic scene and I like that Gary Lockett did the same with Pavlik. I like that Rubio and Espino went up against Pavlik. I like that Alfonso Gomez stepped up against Cotto and that Manfredo did it against Bika and Calzaghe. That Shumenov was willing to take on the fighters he has so early in his career (however bad the second Campillo decision was), that Berto was willing to face Mosley, that Mora would take on Forrest, that Baldomir would take on Judah, Gatti, Mayweather and Forrest, that Clinton Woods would step up to be battered by Roy Jone jr... and the list goes on. Fighters who are willing to step up in fights they were supposed to lose... both for the pay and the cudos that comes with it. These fighters often didn't have the safety net that Perro has... yet they were willing to give it a shot. Often they lost... occasionally they won. But they all fought and they didn't come up with terrible excuses as to why they didn't take fights.

But then, I guess you were too busy applauding Calzaghe for having three conveniently timed injuries rather than face Glen Johnson...

He has made improvements since then though..Joel Julio was moving and boxing much better than cintron was.. so he is making progress.. a fight with Sergio at this time might derail that progress by limiting his opportunities in the future..

people got over the Cintron fight because Angulo was chasing him and hurting him in the last rounds.. a fight with Sergio would likely be a much wider margin loss and people wouldnt get over it..

He's 20 fights in... let him mature and I think everyone will be impressed with what he becomes.

BS. He just took advantage on how crapy Julio is when he has to fight backwards.

Sergio would tool him badly,he shouldnt take that fight.

He should have taken the fight.

A good ol' fashion boxing lesson from Martinez would do Angulo good in the long run as he'd learn a lot, and he'd still get his licks in.
I'd pick Martinez to win a decision, but it'd be competitive; Angulo wouldn't be a cake-walk for Martinez.
And Hell, he just might've pulled a surprise and won the fight.
That happens sometimes in Boxing.

Is the man gonna be offered 750 thousand or more anywhere else?
Think about the exposure fighting in an HBO main event too.
It's a bad move.

BS. He just took advantage on how crapy Julio is when he has to fight backwards.

did you even watch teh fight?

Julio is infinitely better than Cintron at boxing and moving laterally.

He should have taken the fight.

A good ol' fashion boxing lesson from Martinez would do Angulo good in the long run as he'd learn a lot, and he'd still get his licks in.
I'd pick Martinez to win a decision, but it'd be competitive; Angulo wouldn't be a cake-walk for Martinez.
And Hell, he just might've pulled a surprise and won the fight.
That happens sometimes in Boxing.

Is the man gonna be offered 750 thousand or more anywhere else?
Think about the exposure fighting in an HBO main event too.
It's a bad move.

I don't see it that way at all. Angulo reminds me of a Pavlik like plodding fighter. I think Martinez UDs him. I give Pero little shot to do anything meaningful. With that said the shit he pulled makes him look like a tool. Like Consortium said, If he had just said, look I still need time to develop (or had his manager say it), I think people here would be okay with it. But he priced himself out to get out of the fight.

Angulo's "story" regarding why he's not fight Martinez is becoming alittle flimsy:

When pressed by journalists Angulo's reason for not fighting Martinez began to unravel like a ball of yarn, until there was no substance remaining.

Journalist 1: Why again are you unable to fight Martinez.

Angulo: Like I said, man, the kids have the flu. What do you expect from me.

Journalist 2: Yeah, but just a moment ago you said you were going to be running some errands for your mom... so which is it?

Angulo: That too, man. My kids are sick and I have to pick some stuff up for my ma.

Journalist 1: But you said your mom lived across country? So are you bringing your sick kids with you? And if you are, why not just bring them to the fight with Martinez?

Angulo: You see.... I would do that, trust me.... I would. But the other problem is I've got a "Honey Do" list a mile high. I've been putting this list off for months. Hey, come on guys.... you understand right? How many people in the audience that are married can feel me on this *lets out timid chuckle* *silence in the room.... Angulo begins to perspire*

Journalist 3: Wait, wait, wait.... just a moment ago you said your house was in tip top order. NOW you have this huge list of things you still have to accomplish around the house?!

Angulo: Uuuuhhhh, you see.... This list... man, I'm telling you.... this list.... my wife had it mixed with some other papers. I didn't even know I had these things that needed to be addressed around the house. You guys think you're shocked? Just imagine how I felt coming home to see this HUGE list. Who feels me here? Man, full-time job being a husband, father and fighter. Am I right or am I right??

Journalist 2: You've pushed these issues off this long, why can't they wait a bit longer.

Angulo: Golly.... I was thinking the same thing. Bu... but I just can't man. One of the things on that list was bringing her car in to be checked. I think it's going to need a new transmission.

Journalist 1: Cars going to be in the shop, huh?

Angulo: Oh yeah, definitely man!! Now someone is understanding what I'm dealing with. I'm not going to even have a car. No way I could even make it to the fight.

Journalist 1: Funny.... so how is your mom going to get those errands finished?

Angulo: What are you talking abou.... Ooooh Yeah!!! Those errands, right. My brother is going to be picking me up from the service department and he and I are going to be heading right to my mom's house. You guys can imagine how busy of a day this is going to be.... right??

Journalist 3: Just you and your brother?

Angulo: You bet'cha.... me and my brother. Some good family bonding time, right folks *dry chuckle again.... followed by silence*

Journalist 2: You mean you, your brother and your kids.... right?

Angulo: Definitely, guy!! Didn't I mention them? I thought I did. Yup, them too. They're really excited to see their grandma again. Kids love their grandparents.... who here knows what I'm talking about?? *tries to engage crowd with a smile*

Jouralist 2: Just a shame that they're so sick. Probably won't be too fun of a trip for them at all.

Angulo: Oh man guys.... I'd love to stay here and talk but my wife just texted me. I gotta roll out of here. Let's do this again... SOON! this was great, guys.

He should have taken the fight. He was guaranteed to keep his #1 ranking at 154 even if he lost the middleweight title fight at 155-156. Nothing to loose for him.

Maybe he is in bad shape.

Angulo's "story" regarding why he's not fight Martinez is becoming alittle flimsy:

When pressed by journalists Angulo's reason for not fighting Martinez began to unravel like a ball of yarn, until there was no substance remaining.

Haha.... The kids are sick and my car is in the shop.

Wow. Thought he was a man. Good thing Kirkland is going to be back soon.

I don't see it that way at all. Angulo reminds me of a Pavlik like plodding fighter. I think Martinez UDs him. I give Pero little shot to do anything meaningful. With that said the shit he pulled makes him look like a tool. Like Consortium said, If he had just said, look I still need time to develop (or had his manager say it), I think people here would be okay with it. But he priced himself out to get out of the fight.

I'd be more than okay with it... I'd applaud it. I like when fighters are realistic about their chances... especially at a young age. I mean, did anyone take Hank Lundy seriously when he was talking about how he should have been in the Ring Top 10 at 135lbs? Or the way Tyson Fury (who I actually like) talks about how he could beat pretty much anyone on the planet right now? Having fighters say "Listen, I'm not ready for this, but I will be in a couple of months/years" is fine by me... it's why I'm not all over Atlas/Povetkin for their stalling with KKlitschko.

I'd still think he should take the fight considering the deal Shaw got for him but at least he'd be honest about why he wasn't taking it.

Not being ready didn't stop Arrerola from stepping up and taking the fight with Viatli. If he would have just waited a week he would have smashed kilt, but like he said you don't turn down a chance to fight the champ, cause you might not get another one.

did you even watch teh fight?

Julio is infinitely better than Cintron at boxing and moving laterally.

What the fuck are you smoking? Julio is absolute garbage when he is force to move back. He can't even hit hard moving back.

Back