angulo turns down $750,000.00 to fight Martinez

B

Branweb

When junior middleweight (154 pounds) prospect Alfredo Angulo lost the only bout of his professional career to Kermit Cintron in May of 2009 in an HBO-televised fight, his promoter, Gary Shaw, and his manager, Mike Criscio, went to work rebuilding the man who is nicknamed, "Perro," or, "Dog."

Three months later, the duo landed Angulo in an ESPN-televised bout four days prior to his 27th birthday on Aug. 7, where the fighter scored a second-round knockout of Gabriel Rosado.

Next up were two more HBO-televised match ups, respectively, against previously unbeaten Harry Joe Yorgey and Joel Julio, whom he stopped in the third, and, 11th rounds, earning the WBO interim junior middleweight crown by defeating Julio.

Angulo was back on HBO again last month, when he scored a first-round stoppage of former WBA titlist Joachim Alcine. Angulo's fourth straight knockout raised his mark to 19-1, with 16 KOs, setting up a potential bouts with any of the division champions.

In the 34-year-old Alcine (32-1, 19 KOs), of Quebec, Canada, Angulo faced a man who had earned two straight decisions since being dethroned following a November, 2008, sixth-round knockout loss to Daniel Santos.

"There's not many people who can get built up the way that we did with Alfredo Angulo," said Criscio. "But we may have created a monster while building him. I think that we did too good of a job building him up and getting him to where he is, and maybe that's our own fault."

Criscio's sentiment is the result of the latest development with Angulo, who has not only turned down a fifth appearance on HBO in his last six fights, but, more importantly, a $750,000 pay day to face Argentinian-born, WBC middleweight (160 pounds) champion, Sergio Martinez (45-2-2, 24 KOs) "at catch weight of about 155 or 156 pounds."

Angulo, who turned 28 on Aug. 11, did so after instead requesting $1 million purse, said Criscio and Shaw.

"This would have been seventh or eighth time on HBO," said Shaw. "And I thought that I was giving him a birthday gift."

Instead, "The Dog" bit the hands that fed him.

"I think that he should have taken the fight. I think that $750,000 is a more than fair offer. In fact, it was a great offer for that fight. There's not many people with 20 or less fights that are making almost $1 million. So, I just think that he should have taken the fight," said Criscio, who then referred to Martinez's upset unanimous decision over then-WBO and WBC middleweight champion, Kelly Pavlik, in April.

"We did what promoters and managers are supposed to do. Martinez only got around $750,000 for fighting Kelly Pavlik, so I thought that $750,00 was more than enough for Angulo as an opponent," said Criscio. "We'll have to wait until next year, I guess. You know, we're kind of screwed right now. I know that HBO is not too happy with him

I guess when it comes to Dogs, Angulo is a bitch. He prefers on beating up over-matched bums for chump change than taking on a real challenege.

What happen to the days when Mexican fighters had all the glory? Now we're stuck with Victor "no heart" Ortiz, Antonio Margacheato, and Alfredo "the bitch" Angulo.

Least we still got Juan Manuel Marquez.

Bah.. you are taking the word of a promoter and jumping the gun.. promoters try to create pressure on fighters.. you don't know the facts yet..

That said, I am a huge Angulo fan(my favorite fighter), but Martinez would beat him soundly at this point in his career..

At a catch weight of 155 or 156 lbs? I'm so god damn tired of catch weights. What would have been the point of a catch weight fight here? I'm glad he turned it down.

I wouldn't mind seeing that fight actually. Angulo knows he will probably lose, if you get outboxed by Kermit Cintron than the chances are slim to none that you can get a win over Sergio Martinez.

Angulo would have got beat anyway but He still should have taken the fight.

Martinez should offer to fight Dizzy next then, He is looking around for a dance partner.

I wouldn't mind seeing that fight actually. Angulo knows he will probably lose, if you get outboxed by Kermit Cintron than the chances are slim to none that you can get a win over Sergio Martinez.

He has made improvements since then though..Joel Julio was moving and boxing much better than cintron was.. so he is making progress.. a fight with Sergio at this time might derail that progress by limiting his opportunities in the future..

people got over the Cintron fight because Angulo was chasing him and hurting him in the last rounds.. a fight with Sergio would likely be a much wider margin loss and people wouldnt get over it..

He's 20 fights in... let him mature and I think everyone will be impressed with what he becomes.

Angulo is one of my favourite fighters to watch, mainly because my coach said he saw alot of similarities in our styles when he watched him fight the first time.

Martinez would outbox him rather easily though. Rather see him fight Cotto or Martirosyan.

Some top fighters are willing to headline a huge PPV for just a 40 thousand dollar payday; what's up with the 154 lb Angulo turning down 750 thousand dollars for a Title fight, Angulo's not even that much of a Draw.

2hem5o0.jpg

(I am a fan of Angulo's by the way.)

Sergio is being a bitch. Just fight Williams already or Pavlik. You left 154, now fight MWs.

Whaddya talkin' about, Sergio Martinez had that public vote/poll asking the public who they wanted to see him fight next.

Whaddya talkin' about, Sergio Martinez had that public vote/poll asking the public who they wanted to see him fight next.

I know and I voted for Paul Williams and i am the public.

Last edited:
Pavlik opted out of a re-match with Martinez. I think P-Will is trying to make a run at 147. Martinez doesn't have many options.

Well now he has Pirog, to try and unfi the belts again. Which make no sense cause they never should have strip him in the first place.

At a catch weight of 155 or 156 lbs? I'm so god damn tired of catch weights. What would have been the point of a catch weight fight here? I'm glad he turned it down.

That is another gift to Angulo actually. It would be for the middle weight title but Angulo wouldn't have to go much above 154. Pretty much a fantastic offer to Angulo.

What happen to the days when Mexican fighters had all the glory? Now we're stuck with Victor "no heart" Ortiz, Antonio Margacheato, and Alfredo "the bitch" Angulo.

Least we still got Juan Manuel Marquez.[/QUOTE]

Victor Ortiz isn't Mexican..he was born and raised in the USA...in Kansas for that matter.

Pavlik opted out of a re-match with Martinez. I think P-Will is trying to make a run at 147. Martinez doesn't have many options.

p will needs to stop hoping for a big fight with manny and floyd and fight sergio

Good move by Angulo. He's not ready for a fighter like Sergio, not even close.

Back