News Angela Magana underwent neurosurgery and is currently unresponsive due to complications *UPDATE OP

Neurosurgery for what?
Sad stuff hoping she pulls through.

According to her twitter, she went to get a nerve block (injection to reduce pain) for a back injury and something went wrong with it, requiring her to need emergency neurosurgery in ICU.. so like maybe they shot the stuff into the wrong part of her spine and it fucked up her brain somehow, thats scary that a regular routine thing could potentially kill you, hope she pulls through it.

P.S. anyone making sarcastic comments about this or implying she deserves it should be banned, this is a serious situation and you'd be shitting yourself if it was someone you cared about in her situation now.

She said she needed something done on her cauda equina, which is a bundle of nerves that come off the end of the spinal cord (in your lower back). Obviously, hitting the nerves can cause pain, but hitting the cord itself can cause serious damage. It's uncommon, but possible that it happened, and I'm not sure injuring the cord that low would lead to her being unresponsive. Another possibility is the anesthetic in a sense traveled up the spinal cord into the upper part (which affects the nerves that connect to the lungs/heart) which can lead to a coma. I assume the procedure could also cause fluid leakage in the central nervous system, leading to hydrocephalus (water in the brain) requiring emergency decompression.

Who knows what happened? It's obviously terrible.

Hope she recovers.

WTF, fan or not, prayers coming her way..

According to her twitter, she went to get a nerve block (injection to reduce pain) for a back injury and something went wrong with it, requiring her to need emergency neurosurgery in ICU.. so like maybe they shot the stuff into the wrong part of her spine and it fucked up her brain somehow, thats scary that a regular routine thing could potentially kill you, hope she pulls through it.
I turned down cortisone because of that. Sounded way too risky for temporary relief

Thanks for the info.

A comment above talked about an injection to block a nerve for some pain.
?!?

Seems like some serious fucking pain to crack the dome open.

Didnt even think a surgeon would risk that. Jesus.

I'm going to think and pray extra hard. That always works and means something. She was going to be on mmaroasted, but canceled that and her upcoming fight. Crazy it was some real shit like this.

Sending love and prayers her way, I hope she does wake up, some people don't like her but she's always been nice whenever we used to talk on twitter. I feel for her and her child.

I don't understand how a simple pain injection in her back can lead to her requiring emergency surgery, the fool doctor who messed up the injection needs to have his/her licence removed

She said she needed something done on her cauda equina, which is a bundle of nerves that come off the end of the spinal cord (in your lower back). Obviously, hitting the nerves can cause pain, but hitting the cord itself can cause serious damage. It's uncommon, but possible that it happened. Another possibility is the anesthetic in a sense traveled up the spinal cord into the upper part (which affects the nerves that connect to the lungs/heart) which can lead to a coma. I assume the procedure could also cause fluid leakage in the central nervous system, leading to hydrocephalus (water in the brain) requiring emergency decompression.

Who knows what happened? It's obviously terrible.

Hope she recovers.

Scary stuff, I hope she recovers, would this be considered malpractice on the surgeons part?

I hope she wakes up.

?!?

Seems like some serious fucking pain to crack the dome open.

Didnt even think a surgeon would risk that. Jesus.

Cauda equina nerve block would be in the lower back, not the head. Still a neurosurgical procedure. And when they say "cauda equina" I assume it's actually just a block of one or two levels, not the whole damn cauda equina.

It's sad that trolls will actually go to these lengths. They'll mock a woman who's possibly on her deathbed, just to get a reaction. Pathetic

sounds fucking scary, good luck angela and stay classy sherdog :/

Best wishes to her recovery, hoping it doesn’t turn into anything serious.

Eh in times like this personal feelings towards a fighter don't matter

Hope she wakes up and recovers from this, both for her and her kids sake

Cauda equina nerve block would be in the lower back, not the head. Still a neurosurgical procedure. And when they say "cauda equina" I assume it's actually just a block of one or two levels, not the whole damn cauda equina.
Yeah I just read that complications from the original injection is why she required neuro surgery

Scary stuff, I hope she recovers, would this be considered malpractice on the surgeons part?

I hope she wakes up.

I have no idea what happened. Could be the fault of the surgeon, could be the fault of the anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist, could even be nobody's fault. Sometimes shit happens. Like how thousands of people can take an antibiotic with no/few adverse issues, but a select few can have a serious allergic reaction which can kill them.

She's mainly famous from the women's BW season of TUF and due to a public dispute with Cyborg.

I dont think those are what she is mainly famous of at least on Sherdog, but I also dont think this is a good time to post pics.

Sending prayers her way! This is someone’s mother and daughter. :(

Hope she pulls through, tough thing to go through.

Love her or hate her - shes got a great ass.

Back