Andy Ruiz Blames Rematch Loss on Weight Gain

How significant was his weight gain?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Andy Ruiz Jr. was asked how much his additional weight played a factor in tonight’s rematch.

“You know, it did effect me a lot. I thought I was going to feel stronger. I thought I was going to be better. But, you know what? I think next fight I’m going to get more prepared and I’m going to work on my team a little bit more.

“I tried to train myself kind of for this last fight. Like I said, I don’t want to give no excuse, because I think that Joshua did a hell of a job.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/boxing-news/andy-ruiz-jr-reacts-following-loss-to-anthony-joshua/

Flashback (Before the Fight):

Andy Ruiz Jnr has defended his weight gain ahead of his highly-anticipated rematch with Anthony Joshua.

The heavyweight world champion weighed in at 283lb on Friday afternoon in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, which is 15lb heavier than what he scaled before upsetting Joshua at Madison Square Garden.

Joshua, who lost the IBF, WBA and WBO titles in New York, by contrast will arrive in the ring 10lb lighter than he was in June for his first fight againt Ruiz Jnr.

“A lot of people are saying that I came overweight or this and that but we had to wait so long.

“I probably put on 10 pounds just eating and drinking normally today. I would've been at like 268 without all that stuff and haven't had eaten. If we weighed in at 11am I definitely would have been less."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/b...ch-against-Anthony-Joshua-weighing-283lb.html

Dont think it was a factor. He was still ready to counter each time AJ made a mistake, and did so. AJ just made less mistakes, and none as big as going in and trading hooks as he did in the 3rd round of their first fight after he knocked Ruiz down.

Ruiz used the same, patented Corrie Sanders rematch strategy against Klitschko.

if you think you can put on 10 pounds “eating and drinking normally” you are mentally sick. dude is a fat shit, no doubt

“I tried to train myself kind of for this last fight."
What an idiot.
Hey, got an idea- want to give yourself a chance of succeeding at high level endeavors?! Then give yourself the chance to succeed at high level endeavors by planning and preparation!

It's crazy to see just how one of the best feel good stories in Sports has turned into squandered opportunity that will forever stain Ruiz.

He was the Mexican Rocky, the people's champ, the underdog that had the support of nation behind him.... and then came to the biggest fight of his life overweight, out of shape and not caring.

I knew something was probably up when his youtube was filled of videos rolling around in expensive cars, being surrounding by his crew shopping etc. He got the first taste of fame and fortune and let it derail him.

He's lost ALOT of goodwill among the public. Almost everybody I talked to post fight have said that he's a flash in the pan and was never any good to begin with. While probably not true, his career as an A side talent is done. Nobody wants to see a trilogy - boxing is going to move on with AJ, Wilder and Fury taking top bill. Ruiz is going to be relegated back to the undercard - silver lining is that the man made his money. Hopefully he is smart about it.

He’s a fucking genius.

He's a disgrace. That wasn't his only excuse, either. He had a few more prepared before/after taking this L.
And speaking after the fight, Ruiz Jr admitted his preparation was to blame for the tame loss.
The 30-year-old said: "Three months of partying and celebrating affected me, what can I say?
"Being overweight, I wasn't fluid enough, I wasn't moving the way I wanted to move.
"I think if I'm lighter I'm going to let my hands go and be a completely different fighter."
DIDN'T LISTEN TO COACHES
He was then asked what he'd do differently if granted a rematch with Joshua.
He replied: "Listen to my coach. Listen to my dad. And take it more seriously.
"I'm OK, I'm just a little disappointed. I should have listened to them.
"I tried to do the training on my own. I should have listened to them more.
"There's no excuses...the partying and all that stuff got the best of me.
"For being out of shape I did pretty good, I took all his shots.
"I got him a few times. If we'd have gone toe to toe. For the trilogy I know I'm going to be a lot better."
PARTY TRICK Andy Ruiz Jr blames ‘three months of partying and celebrating’ for defeat to Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia

well, if he really was partying after the first AJ win, then he's a fucking idiot.

i mean you just beat the man, you've made a ton of money, you're about to be given a fuckass load amount of cash to fight him again, and if you win again you're the biggest name in boxing. how are you not in the gym the second the fight is signed? i mean do you need to party right then? you can't do it when you win the rematch?

He said if they get a 3rd fight he would be in better shape. Why couldn't he be bothered this time? Odd statement

He needs to blame it on the behavior that led to the weight gain. What a doofus. I actually like the guy but get the fuck out of here with this shit.

The extra weight didn’t make much more difference to his mobility. The difference was Joshua’s patience and mobility

Back