Andy Lee vs Brian Vera plus Aaron Pryor JR on ESPN2 Tonight

Lee had been staggering around for the better part of 30 seconds prior to the stoppage. Cant really blame the ref. He almost stopped it long before then.

It's a fine line. If they let it go too long, everyone blames the ref for the death of a fighter. Too quick, everybody blames the ref for being too cautions.. lose/lose

Aw, sounds like an Andy Lee fan. Its alright pal, you still have another overhyped, pale and skill-less face blocker to root for in John Duddy. You'll be ok.

:rolleyes: The Heavyweight Forums beckon, sir. ->

Looks like Kabuki was right about Lee not being championship caliber. Haven't seen the fight yet, though, but Vera sounds like a fun fighter to watch. Sucks that AP Jr had a disappointing performance......hopefully he and Lee will address their flaws in the gym.

Big shock in the Lee fight, he is still only 23 so hopefully he bounces back from this. Always entertaining to watch.

I thought the stoppage was maybe a little early ... the key words being "maybe" and "little." It was a close enough call that the referee should get the benefit of the doubt. And it's also questionable whether Lee would have made it through the remaining 45 seconds of the round had the fight not been stopped. He looked in pretty bad shape afterwards.

Lee's downfall was his inability to adapt. When it became apparent that landing occasional single lefts wasn't going to stop Vera, rather than using more combinations Lee just stuck with the same old thing despite the fact that it wasn't working.

Wasn't impressed with Lee's inability to fight in close. But I was impressed with his chin. Such a tall, lanky guy and he was still able to keep standing.
At times he showed some good upper body movement, whipping his torso side to side and back to avoid big shots from Vera.
But he still lost.
Codrington handled Vera with ease. Pretty disappointed with how much Lee struggled.

People still watch boxing?

Yea. They're so stupid right? Watching boring ass fights like Marquez/Vazquez 3 and Marquez/Pacquiao 2. After the latter, I was saying "Damn it they got me again!" Wait... No. The exact opposite.

That stoppage was tough. On one hand, Lee looked like he was OK after the stoppage. On the other hand, he was taking an ass beating in that round. I was shocked at first, but it wasn't that bad of a stoppage after all. Great fight, even though I wasn't as impressed with Lee as I was expecting to be.

I feel for Lee, but it just seems like anything Stewart touches now outside of Vitali goes to hell in a hand basket. I wouldn't count lee out yet, he's young and in a rematch in the future might kill this guy. That was a strange fight where Veras reaching punches just was the right range and timing as Andy's movement. Pavlik would kill Lee though, or put in a wheel chair. So it's wrong for Emmanuel to say Lee was the next big thing to put down Pavlik, IIRC.

Although I think the stoppage was premature, I do think that Lee got exposed. Teddy Atlas, whom I consider one of the two best boxing commentators along with Max Kellerman currently working in the fight game, was even saying that Lee was shying away from infighting and he was obviously much more comfortable at a distance where he could use the space and unload. I think he deserved the chance to fight it out though because he landed a nice punch while the ref was stepping in. He was never knocked down. He definitely looked bad and was getting tagged but he was doing his own damage and actually made Vera do the chickendance in the first. I think if they wouldn't have stopped it Lee composes himself and Vera would have continuously been sloppy like he was all fight and eventually Lee would have smoked him. I think that this loss is as good of a loss for Lee as far as losses go because it ended in contraversy, exposed his flaws, which he can now work on at Kronk under Manny, and showed that he was a tough kid with a decent chin who with a little more seasoning is gonna outclass Vera if they ever fight again. Which probably won't happen becasue I see Lee going on and having a great career whereas Vera could easily get knocked out again because of his pore technique and willingness to bang with a weak chin.

That was a good fight.

Lee put Vera down early in the opening round, but Vera came back and walked through everything Lee had from that point on. Lee was bullied and beaten up and Vera simply wanted to win more.

Vera was the aggressor throughout as he hammered Lee in the face with sweeping right hands that had Lee busted up and bleeding from the eye by the fight

Lee could have controlled that fight. He got into Vera's game. He could have murdered him with pure boxing.

That was a good fight.

Lee put Vera down early in the opening round, but Vera came back and walked through everything Lee had from that point on. Lee was bullied and beaten up and Vera simply wanted to win more.

Vera was the aggressor throughout as he hammered Lee in the face with sweeping right hands that had Lee busted up and bleeding from the eye by the fight

Although I think the stoppage was premature, I do think that Lee got exposed. Teddy Atlas, whom I consider one of the two best boxing commentators along with Max Kellerman currently working in the fight game, was even saying that Lee was shying away from infighting and he was obviously much more comfortable at a distance where he could use the space and unload. I think he deserved the chance to fight it out though because he landed a nice punch while the ref was stepping in. He was never knocked down. He definitely looked bad and was getting tagged but he was doing his own damage and actually made Vera do the chickendance in the first. I think if they wouldn't have stopped it Lee composes himself and Vera would have continuously been sloppy like he was all fight and eventually Lee would have smoked him. I think that this loss is as good of a loss for Lee as far as losses go because it ended in contraversy, exposed his flaws, which he can now work on at Kronk under Manny, and showed that he was a tough kid with a decent chin who with a little more seasoning is gonna outclass Vera if they ever fight again. Which probably won't happen becasue I see Lee going on and having a great career whereas Vera could easily get knocked out again because of his pore technique and willingness to bang with a weak chin.
A weak chin? Really?

Just watched the finish to this on youtube, and I have to say I thought the stoppage was poor. Lee was getting slapped around pretty good, but why jump in just after he lands two flush shots on Vera. The ref had been watching closely pretty much the whole round, but he picked about the worst time to actually jump in.

Just watched the finish to this on youtube, and I have to say I thought the stoppage was poor. Lee was getting slapped around pretty good, but why jump in just after he lands two flush shots on Vera. The ref had been watching closely pretty much the whole round, but he picked about the worst time to actually jump in.

Weirdly enough, Lee's trainer Emmanuel Steward had no problem with the stoppage.

i think a loss for Andy Lee will benefit him, it shows that he has flaws and will work on it instead of thinking hes all great and powerful that people hype him up to be

i still see him as a good prospect in the future

Another over-hyped kid gets his hype blown. I think fighter should not be lauded over until they have at least 25 fights. I know you cant enforce that, but this again is another young guy who seemingly is rushed along too fast as he has a certain star quality, and now its in pieces. His management have some share in this.

Same thoughts here, I missed it live and just watched it on youtube. Very strange timing of the stoppage, but it was clear that Lee was taking several headshots that round. And who are we to judge, the ref was very carefully checking Lee and once he saw his head snap back in a certain way he stopped the fight. I'm sure there will be a rematch soon, Lee will be back. And this is such validation for Vera. Very proved that he is more than a popular midwest clubfighter, he may turn out to be a decent top 25ish gatekeeper.

Back