News Andy Cruz has left Cuba and will be turning pro, Cuban invasion loading...

Can you enlighten me why can’t Cubans pursue a professional career from Cuba? Politics?

Pro boxing was banned in Cuba for decades until this past summer. Normally boxers would have to defect and sour their relationship with their home country in the process. Andy got denied a couple times so there must still be really strict protocol for Cubans but yeah.

Andy is ridiculously crafty

Enjoyed this guy as well last olympics.

Indeed his nickname is La Sombra that's what I referred to him as

Pro boxing was banned in Cuba for decades until this past summer. Normally boxers would have to defect and sour their relationship with their home country in the process. Andy got denied a couple times so there must still be really strict protocol for Cubans but yeah.

Indeed his nickname is La Sombra that's what I referred to him as
Okay! Will the other guys be allowed in the future now as well? Or did they maken an exception for him?

Jesus Christ, that was a HEAVYWEIGHT?!?! He’s like bizarro Iron Mike, moving like I’ve never seen a HW move but being all defense.
Olympics HW, which is cruiserweight in the pro ranks.

Okay! Will the other guys be allowed in the future now as well? Or did they maken an exception for him?
Gray area. Some Cubans are allowed to take pro fights under set conditions and control so they don't defect and the money and cred they earn stays with Cuba partly. So hard to say what the next decade will look like since it's a larger political issue beyond sports.

Didn't the Olympics drop boxing?

If so, you would think Cuba would rethink their boxers not being able to go pro

Dude was the best amateur boxer in the world, curious to see him fight in the pros. His fellow team members have already racked up a couple pro wins.

These guys get fast tracked right away, Robeisy is 12 fights into his career and ranked #15 by Boxrec.

Holy shit. Morrell, Sombra, Andy, Arlen. Robeisy, Joahnys, Lenier.... Cuban school of boxing.... This is a far more talented crop than the Rigo/Lara/Gamboa/Ugas/Ortiz/Dorticos/Sullivan/Rances era.

It honestly might be one the best eras of any specific country of boxing ever by the time it's over... The talent coming is INSANE. And it's only just beginning babybois. Cubans going pro is gonna make the landscape look a lot different.

Andy in particular is one of the most complete boxers in the world. Rare infighting skillset that is rarely seen in modern boxing. Absurd talent, reflexes, great athleticism, footwork and an outstanding outside game.

Pretty sure he's the bloke who beat Aussie Harry Garside at the Olympics. If so holy shit he's going to be great, ridiculously skilled, made Garside look pretty ordinary

I hope he links up with Ismael Salas. That would be a scary combo.

Pretty sure it's the same kid but he got a lot bigger later.

Yep, that's him. He ended up moving up in weight and got bigger as you said. You'll see his first name listed as either "Yasnier" or "Yasniel" and he ended up winning a total of 4 world level medals (though he never won gold at the Worlds/Olympics).

Back