News Andy Cruz has left Cuba and will be turning pro, Cuban invasion loading...

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score

Holy shit. Morrell, Sombra, Andy, Arlen. Robeisy, Joahnys, Lenier.... Cuban school of boxing.... This is a far more talented crop than the Rigo/Lara/Gamboa/Ugas/Ortiz/Dorticos/Sullivan/Rances era.

It honestly might be one the best eras of any specific country of boxing ever by the time it's over... The talent coming is INSANE. And it's only just beginning babybois. Cubans going pro is gonna make the landscape look a lot different.

Andy in particular is one of the most complete boxers in the world. Rare infighting skillset that is rarely seen in modern boxing. Absurd talent, reflexes, great athleticism, footwork and an outstanding outside game.

Last edited:
Can you enlighten me why can’t Cubans pursue a professional career from Cuba? Politics?

Holy shit. Morrell, Sombra, Andy, Arlen. Robeisy, Joahnys, Lenier.... Cuban school of boxing.... This is a far more talented crop than the Rigo/Lara/Gamboa/Ugas/Ortiz/Dorticos/Sullivan/Rances era.

It honestly might be one the best eras of any specific country of boxing ever by the time it's over... The talent coming is INSANE. And it's only just beginning babybois. Cubans going pro is gonna make the landscape look a lot different.

Andy in particular is one of the most complete boxers in the world. Rare infighting skillset that is rarely seen in modern boxing. Absurd talent, reflexes, great athleticism, footwork and an outstanding outside game.

Andy is ridiculously crafty

Enjoyed this guy as well last olympics.

He's a little old to be debuting pro even if he gets fast tracked but I love seeing Olympic crossovers and am a big fan of Cuban boxing so I hope it goes well for him and it's a sign of more to come. Jalolov is another Olympic Gold medalist I'm high on right now in boxing.

Yoelvis is also incredibly talented.

This next wave of Cuban standouts might change a lot of opinions in the pro game. As long as they stay disciplined rather than getting complacent or lazy. The current wave of Russians and Ukrainians have made a big splash in recent years so it'll be interesting to see if the Cubans can replicate their success.

Jesus Christ, that was a HEAVYWEIGHT?!?! He’s like bizarro Iron Mike, moving like I’ve never seen a HW move but being all defense.
Stop with the hyperbole. He was fighting a relatively unathletic oaf. Great fighters go pro today they don’t go to the Olympics.

that isn’t to say he isn’t talented, but he isn’t even on Andy Ruiz’ level.

Stop with the hyperbole. He was fighting a relatively unathletic oaf. Great fighters go pro today they don’t go to the Olympics.

that isn’t to say he isn’t talented, but he isn’t even on Andy Ruiz’ level.
Not really sure how fighting backwards is gonna serve him in pros, likely not well, but the actual movement for his size is impressive, chill man

How many champions right now are Olympic medalists and how many aren’t

I’ll let you know, most don’t even make Olympic teams.
So now we're only counting Olympic medalists? That's quite limiting. You initially said that they don't go to the Olympics. I'm aware that most don't even make the Olympic team. For every great fighter you can name I can name an Olympian or at the very least an amateur national champion (Nationals, National Golden Gloves, PAL champ etc) that was even more impressive. Certain countries, like Mexico, start their fighters very young and have them turn pro around age 15. They then have to spend years building themselves a foundation. High level amateurs tend to be fast tracked. They're scouted as amateurs and made the biggest offers by various promoters. It also counts toward hall of fame induction and sanctioning bodies' mandatory challenger status. You're talking out of your ass.

So now we're only counting Olympic medalists? That's quite limiting. You initially said that they don't go to the Olympics. I'm aware that most don't even make the Olympic team. For every great fighter you can name I can name an Olympian or at the very least an amateur national champion (Nationals, National Golden Gloves, PAL champ etc) that was even more impressive. Certain countries, like Mexico, start their fighters very young and have them turn pro around age 15. They then have to spend years building themselves a foundation. High level amateurs tend to be fast tracked. They're scouted as amateurs and made the biggest offers by various promoters. It also counts toward hall of fame induction and sanctioning bodies' mandatory challenger status. You're talking out of your ass.
K name the Olympians.

way to go and list even more irrelevant amateur titles too lmao

Boxing is prize fighting, not some amateur dick measuring contest.

K name the Olympians.

way to go and list even more irrelevant amateur titles too lmao

Boxing is prize fighting, not some amateur dick measuring contest.
There are 17 divisions in professional boxing. I'm not going to give you them all because that'd take quite a while to compile a list for. If you think amateur experience isn't helpful then you're clueless. Only certain countries prioritize turning professional over first gaining experience on the amateur circuit. These countries are exceptions. Since you believe the amateurs don't matter though then explain to us why this guy is sitting in the International Boxing Hall Of Fame right now despite not having accomplished shit as a pro. He never even challenged for a world title as a professional and is in there purely on the strength of his amateur achievements. You know dick about boxing.

http://www.ibhof.com/pages/about/inductees/modern/papp.html

There are 17 divisions in professional boxing. I'm not going to give you them all because that'd take quite a while to compile a list for. If you think amateur experience isn't helpful then you're clueless. Only certain countries prioritize turning professional over first gaining experience on the amateur circuit. These countries are exceptions. Since you believe the amateurs don't matter though then explain to us why this guy is sitting in the International Boxing Hall Of Fame right now despite not having accomplished shit as a pro. He never even challenged for a world title as a professional and is in there purely on the strength of his amateur achievements. You know dick about boxing.

http://www.ibhof.com/pages/about/inductees/modern/papp.html

Lol @ stanning shit poverty boxing this hard

you’re wrong and mad

Lol @ stanning shit poverty boxing this hard

you’re wrong and mad
If our sport is so shitty then why are you here posting in the boxing forum? If you don't even understand the purpose of the amateur system then you're really ignorant. Fighters that turn pro early with little to no amateur experience spend years taking developmental fights to gain experience and build a foundation. Them taking 25-30 fights isn't unheard of. It took Canelo 36 pro fights before he got his first world title fight and that's even with a little amateur experience. Fighters with no experience might take even longer to develop. If a successful world level amateur turns pro they have more opportunity right out of the gate. They get better offers and are paid more per fight especially at the beginning of their professional career. They gain valuable experience against all of the various boxing styles and get international exposure (at the Worlds & Olympics for example).

In pro boxing terminology having world level amateur credentials is called having pedigree but you don't seem to be familiar with it. But all the great boxers turn pro and don't go to the Olympics nowadays. LOL. As if they don't all try to make an Olympic team. As if it's not their initial goal in the sport of boxing. Right.

Amateur stand outs often transition as they are aging, are avoided, and always seem to have bad management.

I won’t get too excited. They’ll probably get the big fights at 38 years old.

If our sport is so shitty then why are you here posting in the boxing forum? If you don't even understand the purpose of the amateur system then you're really ignorant. Fighters that turn pro early with little to no amateur experience spend years taking developmental fights to gain experience and build a foundation. Them taking 25-30 fights isn't unheard of. It took Canelo 36 pro fights before he got his first world title fight and that's even with a little amateur experience. Fighters with no experience might take even longer to develop. If a successful world level amateur turns pro they have more opportunity right out of the gate. They get better offers and are paid more per fight especially at the beginning of their professional career. They gain valuable experience against all of the various boxing styles and get international exposure (at the Worlds & Olympics for example).

In pro boxing terminology having world level amateur credentials is called having pedigree but you don't seem to be familiar with it. But all the great boxers turn pro and don't go to the Olympics nowadays. LOL. As if they don't all try to make an Olympic team. As if it's not their initial goal in the sport of boxing. Right.

The guys a moron, I wouldn't bother trying to have discussions with him.

Back