Elections Andrew Yang is a dirty weasel

as soon as someone doesn't parrot all the lefty talking points he/she is a grifter...
Yang NEVER parroted all of the lefty talking points. But he was respected by progressive voters for having some interesting ideas and being policy oriented and appearing honest. He comes across as more wishy-washy and less honest now.

That's not the argument.

The argument is that, if a person actually cares about this issue and isn't just harping in bad faith, they wouldn't vote for the party/politicians that are absolutely and unanimously worse on the issue than everyone else. It's like bitching about corrupt tax cuts: sure, a few Democrats might lobby for tax cuts for their pet industries or might want tax levels that are insufficiently progressive to you and I, but corrupt tax cuts are the entirety of the Republican economic platform. So if you're voting for the Republican Party you clearly don't give a shit about that issue. And your "both sides" is dishonest to the max.

Again, stating that both sides participate in things like increasing an already insane military budget, is not a dishonest statement. You are immediately assuming that such is implying that both sides are 100% equal.

If even one Democrat is a corporate shill, that makes my statement true. Just because all cars have tires, does not imply that all cars are exactly alike.

Of course, each side is more different than they are alike, and I have no problem recognizing that the Democrats are much more sympathetic to the middle and lower classes, but, as I stated in my original post, there are some institutionalized norms that transcend party politics.

No it doesn't, one simply needs to look at the last two presidents to see that. Obama toned down the shilling for Israel and tried to make overtures to Iran and was relentlessly criticized by the GOP for it to the extent that they invited Bibi to shit talk Obama before Congress. Meanwhile Trump tore up the Iran deal and validated the Israeli occupation by moving the embassy to Jerusalem.

Effectively, what did Obama change in regards to Israel? How about Clinton? What did either of these Democrats do that was so radically different than effective Republican policy towards Israel?

I certainly understand that there are differences to both sides.

What I don't understand is why people conflate someone saying "both sides share some commonalities (no matter how few)" with "both sides are 100% equal".

By opening your reply to me with a big fat "No", you are implying that both sides share not even one similarity.

Sorry, but I can't get on board with absolutes. Saying "both sides are 100% the same" is just as stupid as saying "both sides are 100% different, and share no subsets of commonality".

Effectively, what did Obama change in regards to Israel? How about Clinton? What did either of these Democrats do that was so radically different than effective Republican policy towards Israel?

I certainly understand that there are differences to both sides.

What I don't understand is why people conflate someone saying "both sides share some commonalities (no matter how few)" with "both sides are 100% equal".
Uh, did you read my post? Obama made overtures to Iran and established the Iran deal as well as chilling relations with Israel and the GCC nations that they are allied with. That is a significant change.

On the other hand Trump moved the US embassy to the occupied territory of Jerusalem which gives Israeli claims to it much more weight. That's a effective policy change since previous presidents had hesitated to do something like that. Trump also leaned heavily into the GCC-Israel-Egypt alliance in the region
By opening your reply to me with a big fat "No", you are implying that both sides share not even one similarity.

Sorry, but I can't get on board with absolutes. Saying "both sides are 100% the same" is just as stupid as saying "both sides are 100% different, and share no subsets of commonality".
No it doesn't, not sure why you would assume that but okay.

Of course policy doesn't radically change from president to president, the nature of the American system generally protects against that. Zionists have strong support among both parties but among the GOP its virtually unanimous support while among the Democrats its more contested and its only among the Democrats that you find advocates for the Palestinians.

So the idea that the parties are the same on the issue is not true. There's overlap but its clear which party is all in on Israel and which party has internal dissent on the matter.

Obviously I am sympathetic to BDS and Yang calling them fascists is disappointing.

That said, In his defense I don't think its something he's passionate about and often politicians like him have one or a few issues they really feel like they can make a difference on and on the rest they fall in line. In his case I don't think he wants to burn bridges with Zionist Democrats in case some of those Zionist Democrats, who are more likely to be among the older party establishment, can help him achieve the policy objectives he's passionate about. As a young up and coming politicians you don't want to start battles with the establishment on all fronts, long term that's a losing strategy.
And that's the problem with the Establishment, regardless of party.

Uh, did you read my post? Obama made overtures to Iran and established the Iran deal as well as chilling relations with Israel and the GCC nations that they are allied with. That is a significant change.

On the other hand Trump moved the US embassy to the occupied territory of Jerusalem which gives Israeli claims to it much more weight. That's a effective policy change since previous presidents had hesitated to do something like that. Trump also leaned heavily into the GCC-Israel-Egypt alliance in the region

No it doesn't, not sure why you would assume that but okay.

Of course policy doesn't radically change from president to president, the nature of the American system generally protects against that. Zionists have strong support among both parties but among the GOP its virtually unanimous support while among the Democrats its more contested and its only among the Democrats that you find advocates for the Palestinians.

So the idea that the parties are the same on the issue is not true. There's overlap but its clear which party is all in on Israel and which party has internal dissent on the matter.

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't disagree with what you are saying.

However, what I am saying is true as well. It doesn't matter that the Democrats have some, or more, members of their party who are antagonistic towards Israel. The final result is that foreign policy generally does not change. I will admit that my initial statement, when taken at face value, could be taken the wrong way. There are, of course, some minor differences in regards to each party's support for Israel, but in the end, overall support for the Palestinian's sovereignty over their own land remains unenforced - regardless of who is in office, and regardless of petty platitudes.

He has a very likeable personality but his policies are naive and I dont think he has the right mind set to clean up crime in nyc which is much needed.

He might win but he will be in many tough situations, his potential supporters want him to defund the police.

Saying "both sides" do it does not imply that "both sides are unequivocally equal".

Don't use Jack Savage's favorite bullshit strawman that "both sides" automatically implies 100% equal.

You're lying. I've never said that.

Stop making heroes out of politicians.

Exactly, don't people get all politicians at the top have been corrupted ? Don't they understand that they would make it to the highest of government with playing by the game?

Yang does not want to bite off more than he can chew. No politician who expects to be a national player or be elected in a city with a large Jewish population will ever criticize the Israel lobby , support BDS or be sympathetic towards the Palestinians.

Israel and its lobby is the 3rd rail of American politics and life. You can criticize anything except them.

He has a very likeable personality but his policies are naive and I dont think he has the right mind set to clean up crime in nyc which is much needed.

He might win but he will be in many tough situations, his potential supporters want him to defund the police.

You know, in theory defunding the police is a good thing.

It's supposed to be about taking administrative and sociological tasks away from police and giving them to people specifically trained for them, freeing police up to do actual police work.

It would be great if some of our Sherdog police officers could chime in and give their thought, the practice might not even remotely resemble the theory.

If you think NY is a sane place then I’ve got the Lincoln Tunnel to sell you
Yeah only Republican led areas are sane, like Florida, never see them in the news. Or how about Mississippi, the worst functioning state by almost any metric. Or maybe the jewel of the Republican Party, Texas. Can’t even keep their lights on because of their absolute shilling to the corporate class. But New York City, the cultural and commercial capital of the world, isn’t a sane place. #conservativelogic

Andrew Yang is basically a centrist. Another Mike Bloomberg, which isnt a bad thing for NYC

It takes an unforgivable level of stupidity to associate two people based solely on the fact that they were both passengers on public transportation.

It takes an unforgivable level of stupidity to associate two people based solely on the fact that they were both passengers on public transportation.
Yeah I think he's the opposite of Ted Cruz or any other GOP

This guy is facing federal charges but hes saying its still fake

Back