1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Andrew Yang: Dems don't do shit for the working class

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by SSgt Dickweed, Nov 9, 2020.

1. SSgt Dickweed Red Belt

Hard to argue with that. Thinking Trump is a douche is one thing, but you need to analyze why he had such a big appeal to the working class in the middle states. Dems tend to be elitist and are out of touch with what's going on in Farmland, USA. I'm no Trump Supporter btw. The two party system and electoral college needs some revising.

hansolo, A.S. Deep, Krixes and 11 others like this.
  2. nostradumbass Yellow Card Yellow Card

It's not like we don't have example after example of places where they have total control that keep getting worse. They're the party of the very rich and the very poor, and that's how they shape the places they control at the expense of the middle class.

3. skysolo Gold Belt

Yang said in the video that Biden "is naturally a very unifying figure".

4. Get To Da Choppa Black Belt

Andrew Yang made more sense in a two minute video than any other politicians' campaign promises. Gotta give him credit for speaking the truth about his party on CNN.

Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard are the two Democratic primary candidates I like the most. They are less partisan and actually speak to the real issues that face Americans everyday. Andrew Yang is also correct on the threat of automation on the working class, and it's nowhere as easy as some of the other Democrat candidates saying 'let's just teach truckers how to code'.

5. ShadowRun error Platinum Member

He’s right it was a vote against Trump and not so much got Biden or the Dems

6. 12ga. Gold Belt

Democrats work for the same donors - the owners - the Fortune 500s, billionaires and almost so.. Again, the Princeton Study proved beyond doubt that the Public has statistically zero influence in Public policy or where their money is spent. It's an oligarchy. According to the Princeton Study, we've absolutely no voice. We have zero influence on policy, wars, overthrowing foreign countries, domestic strategy, police militarization, immigration machine.....you name it! A General Strike is the only solution left to us. Get the corporations out of our government. That won't happen under the boot-heels of either the republicans or democrats. You will not "vote" your way out of this and it will just get worse. Climate change to masses living in developing world conditions to cost of education and health care - all of it

We are on a trajectory that's obvious... Like many countries our CIA groomed with the intellectual aid of Chicago Schools shock doctrine... A few families own everything. A 5% middle class serves and protects them , and 95% is in destitution a despair. I'll be in the middle I already live in a 5000 sqft house behind walls with security but I hate to see it compared to how I grew up. We didn't have all those walls. University - calpoly slo was $100 a quarter, one person could easily support a family with a working class position. etc.

Just to be clear I'm not anti capitalist. But more so a mid 20th century capitalist, where fraudsters went to jail, not bailed out , and marginal rates were as high as 92% to support a more egalitarian system and better wages.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Bald1, jimmas99, Broken arrow and 9 others like this.
  7. rj144 Gold Belt

I don't how the lower to middle class thinks Trump benefitted them. Has tax cuts help the wealthy:

"These were not the results Republican backers of the tax overhaul promised. Speaking at a rally in 2018 in Indiana shortly after the release of a preliminary tax reform framework in September, President Trump repeatedly stressed that the "largest tax cut in our country's history" will "protect low-income and middle-income households, not the wealthy and well-connected."37

He added the plan is "not good for me, believe me." (That last claim is hard to verify because Trump is the first president or general election candidate since the 1970s not to release his tax returns. The reason he has given for this refusal is an IRS audit—the IRS responded that "nothing prevents individuals from sharing their own tax information.")

In its finalized form, however, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act cuts the corporate tax rate, benefiting shareholders, who tend to be higher earners. It only cuts individuals' taxes for a limited period of time. It scales back the alternative minimum tax and estate tax, as well as reducing the taxes levied on pass-through income (70% of which goes to the highest-earning 1%). It does not close the carried interest loophole, which benefits professional investors. It scraps the individual mandate, likely driving up premiums and making health insurance unaffordable for millions.

These provisions taken together are likely to benefit high earners disproportionately and—particularly as a result of scrapping the individual mandate—hurt some working- and middle-class taxpayers."

https://www.investopedia.com/taxes/trumps-tax-reform-plan-explained/

12ga. likes this.
  8. moreorless87 Straba

Yes thats pretty much my view, in the short term Biden will probably offer some improvements over Trump but I doubt they will be significant or targeted enough at the working class.

The Dem establishment will likely take a Biden win as a sign this is what it takes to hold power but I think the reality here is they have benefited massively from Covid exposing Trumps incompetence. In four years time its likely to be them who are suffering from the fallout of the virus and they need to do alot more than is typical to help the people likely to suffer from that.

The reality for me is all across the western world(maybe less so in Scandinavia) we've seen the same trend over the last 30 years were by liberial politics has become increasingly blind to class, especially to the increasing divide between white collar work and an even growing class of poorly paid service/retail jobs.

deviake, BAKM, skaleton and 3 others like this.
  9. A Very Serious Cat Silver Belt

I called it the instant Biden looked to be winning. The honeymoon period for beating trump will fade and you're just left with a turd and douche

Scerpi and Oktagon Kontro1 like this.
  10. AgonyandIrony Banned Banned

If you are a member, or follow the DSA this has been an incredible year. Local Democrat elections are being dominated by progressives.

So there's still hope. It's still just a matter of letting the Boomers die off. Probably the worst generation in the history of the nation, but there's still solid hope. No reason to lose the faith just yet.

11. hillelslovak87 Banned Banned

Look at polling data on specific "progressive" policies. Then contrast that with where each party is at.

You'll see the GOP way away from where the public is, and yet the dems are far away as well, if not as far.

spacegnome and AgonyandIrony like this.
  12. Nightgunner05 Brown Belt

So what do republicans do for the working man?

skaleton likes this.
  13. AgonyandIrony Banned Banned

It's very likely the GOP is dead tbh. The Democrats are centrists-right wingers by nature. The DSA is roaring right now thanks to Sanders/AOC. I saw a DSA rally a week ago that said "Trump Supporters are going to get what they fucking deserve, and that's universal healthcare and education". The Republicans have a huge problem and the Democrats have to deal with the most organized leftist movement since the labor riots of the early 1900s.

Going to be a very interesting decade from a poli sci standpoint. There's a new labor movement not seen since before Reagan. Very interesting all around.

forum poster likes this.
  14. BAM Sweetheart

As far as politics and policy goes, yeah Biden does nothing to unify. Moreso, the unity argument would be based on his overall story of loss that people would identify with (car wreck that claimed his wife and children and then later losing his son Beau to cancer). Having a more empathetic president and a figure that people can identify with during a time of great loss and adversity is beneficial to the country and may lead to some unity.

15. hillelslovak87 Banned Banned

I would hope the movement on the right would be able to reclaim some of the shreds of dignity it had before Trump. I mean hell, even Priebus laid it out for the party leadership with his "Don't be the party of stupid" memo, then Trump got elected and starting stinkin the place up with Mcdonalds wrappers.

Pretty crazy story. He swore in his oath in the hospital. Damn.

16. rj144 Gold Belt

I don't get it. Tax policies under Bush gave tax breaks to the upper class. Obama repealed them. Trump then also instituted a tax plan to benefit the upper class.

They don't care about the middle to lower class.

17. skysolo Gold Belt

The story is just that; a story. I don't judge a person on their stories. I judge them on their actions. He is just perceived as more empathetic but he really isn't.

Remember he is "the guy" who helped turned Libya into an area of open air slave trading. He has never answered to this or been questioned about it.

To a less dramatic example, remember the dude who was begging Biden to take a stance on immigration, Biden told him to vote for Trump. I can give more examples or post videos, but we know who he is.

Perception is not reality.

Broken arrow likes this.
  18. skysolo Gold Belt

Be careful. You may be called a bot.

19. horc00 Black Belt

Yes absolutely. All of them work for their donors. And Donald Trump was that donor not long ago.

What Trump did by becoming president is to cut out the middle man.

Only gullible idiots think Trump is sacrificing for America.

12ga. likes this.
  20. AgonyandIrony Banned Banned

I could be wrong but I think they're fucked. There are traditional conservatives but the Trump/Qanon people are outnumbering them in wide margins. The placation of those crazy evangelicals resulted in this tbh.

I don't think there is any coming back for them. Boomers are dying off and Gen Z actually showed the fuck up to vote and they're further left than my stupid ass. The future isn't bright for the RNC unless they can rebrand somehow.

I've said this before, but Reagan truly was a horrible thing to happen to this cursed country. His dementia ridden, terrorist loving ass really started all this.