Andre Ward vs. James DeGale

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This fight should have happened. They're both Olympic gold medalists.

Who would have won?

I think everyone and their mom picks Andre Ward. I’m not gonna crap all over this fight though. There’s a short window out there where it would’ve been interesting. 2013 and earlier James DeGale was still building his record while Andre Ward had cleaned out a super stacked division. 2014 Andre Ward was ghost. Late 2016-2017 Andre Ward cemented his legacy as a first ballot HOFer while James DeGale showed he ain’t got it anymore. Even though they were a weightclass apart, I still think there was a short window earlier in 2016 where this fight would’ve been big and made sense. Chunky would’ve been coming off the Bute win and a very solid Dirrell win. Ward just solidified he’s back in business with a solid win over an undefeated Sullivan Barrera. If DeGale would’ve been willing to go up to 175 in 2016 this could’ve been a big fight. I definitely won’t crap over the idea of this fight happening in that short window it would’ve been interesting in 2016. It would’ve been pretty big. Of course I’m picking Ward to win probably 119-109 or 118-110. Would’ve been fun though. The build up. The USA gold medalist returning at 175 vs. the UK gold medalist going up in weight now too. I actually kinda wish it would’ve happened. Most people probably will take this thread as a joke but I actually think something could’ve been made of this fight. The window of opportunity was small, but if it happened at that very right time (After the Barrera win for Ward and the Bute win for DeGale) I think we would’ve had ourselves a fight that would’ve been talked about and a ticket seller

Prime DeGale would have struggled against Froch. Ward was on a different level to both of them.

Anyhoo, that would have been really cool if Ward had fought Beterbiev. Hmpht!

Ward, I think is the safe money. The sad realization, though, is that he would still feel like he had to fight dirty in a fight like this.

Terrible fight. That would probably look like sparring for SOG. DeGale doesnt bring much of anything to trouble him.

I wasn't taking this seriously but seeing as most are then I may as well pretend. I think Ward gets close and rips Degale apart on the inside. Degale would have nothing for Ward at close range and would be struggling to get room so he could get some of his shots off. I think we see a clean sweep if not a body shot stoppage for Ward.

Prime DeGale would have struggled against Froch. Ward was on a different level to both of them.

I think that sums it up perfectly pal. I actually quite liked that fight after he beat groves, but in hindsight I don’t see how de gale wins. He’d win some rounds early, look good, but would take a nasty beating late in this fight, possibly surviving to lose on points

To be honest prime DeGale is no bum. He just gets 117-111ed without much trouble.
{<jordan}

Lol exactly. He's not that bad, but SOG makes it look like a walk in the park. I don't know why but the way you put it made laugh my ass off for some reason, lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back