Andre Galvao vs Gordon Ryan

Coconutwater

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

I know Galvao is way past his prime and pretty much absent from the competition scene, but is anyone else interested in seeing these two square off this weekend? Especially after the infamous slap incident...

That said, I expect Gordon to have a relatively easy time, he's too good, too young, and too active IMO. Galvao also looked terrible in his tune-up match a few months ago.

Galvao should get dominated, his only real chance is to try and use the rules to his advantage.

Galvao should get dominated, his only real chance is to try and use the rules to his advantage.

True, I don’t think he’ll even be able to do that. He struggled against some lower level competitor a few months ago. Andre’s wrestling will be less effective against the taller, better prepared Ryan. I’m still going to watch the match because of their history but I wish the match happened years ago.

Don't overlook that Gordan is actually competing in the event and then he will face Andre in the super fight. I can see a couple of tough matches for Gordon and then an hour later having to push around Galvao might be more than he bargained for

I've disliked Galvao for years, so I'm excited for this match.

Don't overlook that Gordan is actually competing in the event and then he will face Andre in the super fight. I can see a couple of tough matches for Gordon and then an hour later having to push around Galvao might be more than he bargained for

Not to belittle Andre's pedigree, I just think that Gordon, even if tough battles with Pena etc, should have enough gas to at least beat Andre by any means. No matter how much experience, technique, and chemical assistance Galvao might have, the guy is so old to be competing against the greatest current no-gi grappler pound for pound today.

I've disliked Galvao for years, so I'm excited for this match.

Seeing how he acted against Clark Gracie one time, him blaming Gordon Ryan for the slap event not knowing he was being filmed has made me like him less for sure. Gordon Ryan isn't a bad man, but I find his antics annoying considering other greats like Roger, MG, Terere etc... are less douche-like.

Galvao is 39 that's not ancient and he has the advantage of actually doing S&C instead of body building.

Seeing how he acted against Clark Gracie one time, him blaming Gordon Ryan for the slap event not knowing he was being filmed has made me like him less for sure. Gordon Ryan isn't a bad man, but I find his antics annoying considering other greats like Roger, MG, Terere etc... are less douche-like.

Remember when he jumped the barricade at World’s because he didn’t like the call the ref gave one of his guys?

He also was bullying kids another time demanding phones (BJJ Steroids thing).

A lot of these famous guys try to come off as humble or Christians or whatever, but they’re anything but. That’s BJJ in general though. I’ve seen too much shitty behavior at competitions. At least Gordon isn’t phony.

Really, I have no opinion on them besides their BJJ skills. I’m not counting Galvao out. I have a feeling he’s going to keep it standing and refuse to engage on the ground with Gordon.

True, I don’t think he’ll even be able to do that. He struggled against some lower level competitor a few months ago. Andre’s wrestling will be less effective against the taller, better prepared Ryan. I’m still going to watch the match because of their history but I wish the match happened years ago.

I've heard that, I never saw the match myself. Doesn't sound good for him against Gordon. I
l'll be watching for sure. It's a huge match

If he pulls this whole thing off as he plans he is undeniably GOAT in NO-GI.

Remember when he jumped the barricade at World’s because he didn’t like the call the ref gave one of his guys?

He also was bullying kids another time demanding phones (BJJ Steroids thing).

A lot of these famous guys try to come off as humble or Christians or whatever, but they’re anything but. That’s BJJ in general though. I’ve seen too much shitty behavior at competitions. At least Gordon isn’t phony.

Really, I have no opinion on them besides their BJJ skills. I’m not counting Galvao out. I have a feeling he’s going to keep it standing and refuse to engage on the ground with Gordon.

I read somewhere that Galvao slapped some moron who promised him a lot of attendees if he threw a seminar in some small town somewhere, nobody showed up and Galvao straight slapped him. I don't like to judge people in tough predicaments but slapping a non-professional martial artist is messed up, they can't do anything. I heard about the barricade jump, I think they barred him from competing in that event, so he paid his dues. But yeah, a lot of these "Humble" or Christianity advocates don't act very nice behind the curtains.

I've heard that, I never saw the match myself. Doesn't sound good for him against Gordon. I
l'll be watching for sure. It's a huge match

I can't imagine a bigger match in recent grappling history, it's up there with Roger vs Buchecha II, not in terms of competitiveness, but because of history. There is no way Andre isn't going to go all out, he doesn't want to look any worse considering he ate two slaps in front of the entire world.

Honestly I wasn't this hyped since Roger-Buchecha. Considering gifting flo some money just for this occasion lol.

As for the match.. Gordan is so confident he's doing bracket + superfight.. will surely arrive spent but he's obviously convinced it will be a walk in the park. Galvao will try to game it and I'm curious to see he'll be able to make it competitive. On the favourite is Gordan but I bet Andre will be in the best shape possible so.. we'll see. I expect some very boring, long stand up match with some single episode (a sweep, a takedown..) to decide it.

Honestly I wasn't this hyped since Roger-Buchecha. Considering gifting flo some money just for this occasion lol.

As for the match.. Gordan is so confident he's doing bracket + superfight.. will surely arrive spent but he's obviously convinced it will be a walk in the park. Galvao will try to game it and I'm curious to see he'll be able to make it competitive. On the favourite is Gordan but I bet Andre will be in the best shape possible so.. we'll see. I expect some very boring, long stand up match with some single episode (a sweep, a takedown..) to decide it.

I know this was way before ADCC prep, but I just can't see Andre looking good against "The King" after seeing this match. I also hope it doesn't end up being a non-event with Andre just stalling on the feet, doing crappy neck grabs to annoy but no real commitment to a takedown, fake aggression...

That said, I think Gordon is so hyped to fight Andre, that I believe he'll takedown Galvao and it will go from there. It would be cool if Andre can put up a good fight, but I doubt it, age is a biatch and technique + strategy is so refined now.

I know this was way before ADCC prep, but I just can't see Andre looking good against "The King" after seeing this match. I also hope it doesn't end up being a non-event with Andre just stalling on the feet, doing crappy neck grabs to annoy but no real commitment to a takedown, fake aggression...

That said, I think Gordon is so hyped to fight Andre, that I believe he'll takedown Galvao and it will go from there. It would be cool if Andre can put up a good fight, but I doubt it, age is a biatch and technique + strategy is so refined now.

Agree on all you wrote about age and technique. In fact Ryan is so favourite I think Andre will exactly do what you said (fake aggression, infinite stand up stall etc.) hoping to game two points or a decision or even some kind of moral victory if it goes against him. If he comes in to fully engage he's done and he knows it. That's why I think that match with the dutch guy isn't really indicative of what we'll see this weekend. He probably wasn't on top shape even for his age, plus he butt scooted, engaged in classic grappling exchanges without much fear etc., it has to be different against Gordan or he'll last two minutes. I bet it will look a lot like his ADCC superfight against Pena.. with the difference that he's a bit older and Gordan is better of course.

Well it's almost here, we'll see :)

This all day long . Gordon’s taking a HUGE risk ( which I respect him for ) by competing in the fuckin tournament against killers . He may be beat up and /or dead tired by the time he meets Galvao , while Galvao will be fresh as a daisy . If Gordon even makes it . I’m calling it now ..Gordon gets injured in tournament and can’t go against Andre .

Agree on all you wrote about age and technique. In fact Ryan is so favourite I think Andre will exactly do what you said (fake aggression, infinite stand up stall etc.) hoping to game two points or a decision or even some kind of moral victory if it goes against him. If he comes in to fully engage he's done and he knows it. That's why I think that match with the dutch guy isn't really indicative of what we'll see this weekend. He probably wasn't on top shape even for his age, plus he butt scooted, engaged in classic grappling exchanges without much fear etc., it has to be different against Gordan or he'll last two minutes. I bet it will look a lot like his ADCC superfight against Pena.. with the difference that he's a bit older and Gordan is better of course.

Well it's almost here, we'll see :)

Thing is, even an out of shape Galvao should have put away that MMA fighter if he is to have any chance against elite ADCC contenders.

Battle of who decided to add some EPO, for endurance, to their vitamin intake.

Yeah, so many people looked like they were on anabolics, but you’d have to be strikingly upright to not hedge your cardio with EPO as endurance plays even more a factor than power, speed and agility.

Thing is, even an out of shape Galvao should have put away that MMA fighter if he is to have any chance against elite ADCC contenders.
Galvao didn't look fully roided up for that match, if he didn't inject all his BJJ you couldnt expect him to perform well.

Back