Andre Galvao (possibly a dumb question about something that may have never happened)

Pathogenic

Wo Cao Ni Ma
@Brown
Reaction score
I remember hearing about a blue belt who gave Galvao some problems awhile back. Does anyone remember who he was? I believe he was a wrestler before entering the BJJ scene. I'm not sure if what I heard was accurate (or even close to it).

Chris Weidman at ADCC.

Weidman was ranked as a purple belt in BJJ and is a really high level wrestler.

2 time all american iirc. He worked Galvao over in that match, very unfortunate to lose on points right at the end.

Yeah, that guy is a beast. Pezao wasn't sure what to do with him either it seemed, then he slapped on that beautiful flying armbar. Before that though you could tell he wasn't sure what to make of Chris.

anybody know what happened to that guy?

2-0 in MMA.

Trains with Longo, Serra et al. 2x All American. He is also a fantastic wrestling coach (from what a friend that had him as a coach tells me).

His stand up is very basic, but he's an epic grappler. Could go the way of Ben Askren. High level wrestler with aggressive submission game. Should see more of those in MMA and nogi comps.

awesome! I look forward to seeing Weidman fight soon.

I'll definitely be rooting for him.

Weidman is fighting this weekend in ROC against unbeaten MW kickboxer Uriah Hall.

I remember when he was wrestling in high school. We were from the same section, I think he was a couple years older than me and was wrestling at either 171 or 189. He was a 2 time NYS champ and an All-American at Hofstra.

He gave Galvao a tough time, ended up losing 4-0. I don't think Galvao knew who he was up against going into that one. By all accounts Chris has picked up the bjj game really fast, and can actually pass guard and submit, rather than just take someone down and hold him there. A real student of the game, much like a Ben Askren.

I think it is an example of what happens when an elite BJJ player whose game relies significantly on their conditioning runs into a grappler with equal or better conditioning/physicality, their game can go out the window.

a few pics i took at the time:

DSC_7235.jpg

DSC_7218.jpg

Last edited:
fucking awesome! btw, if you ever see someone with this tat, you have a heads up of what time it is.

USAW_logo.jpg

I think he knew, but the dude is just tough. Anyway he managed to pull it out.

Still, can't wait to see more of Weidman, and hope he takes out Hall.

I think it is an example of what happens when an elite BJJ player whose game relies significantly on their conditioning runs into a grappler with equal or better conditioning/physicality, their game can go out the window.

a few pics i took at the time:

DSC_7235.jpg

DSC_7218.jpg

Is that a Peruvian Necktie I see in the first picture?

Wrestler's sure love that choke. :) I'm not a fan of being in it.

Weidman had a MMA fight with some dude that use to train at my gym, and wrecked him. When I first saw the video of his fight with Galvao I was surprised how close that darce was, he almost put him away.

The only video I found of the Galvao match was buried on Korean YouTube and I'm too lazy to try and pick through it. There was a private vimeo video on one of the Serra websites. But, well, it was private.

Here's the flying armbar by Vinny, though, from Weidman's other match.

YouTube - Vinny Magalhaes Flying Armbar VS Chris Weidman

Would it be a hijack to ask J-Sho to elaborate on his theme of Galvao relying so heavily on his conditioning? Would you say the same of guys like Popovitch (another guy in that division, interestingly enough)?

fucking awesome! btw, if you ever see someone with this tat, you have a heads up of what time it is.

USAW_logo.jpg

I think he knew, but the dude is just tough. Anyway he managed to pull it out.

Still, can't wait to see more of Weidman, and hope he takes out Hall.

I concur.

Saying Galvao relies mostly on conditioning is selling him very short. I can't really remember but didn't Galvao have his back and shit before the points came in? Galvao's not Jeff Monson.

Galvao is a meio pesado these days (he won the mundials in 2008 at -85 and hasn;t competed at MW or equivalent since except in mma iirc), Popovitch was in the weight division below, -76.9.

just imho: There are clearly some individuals who use an aggressive, often fast paced, takedown n' top control game to generally overwhelm their opponents and in order to do this they have very good s&c (popovitch, xande, monson, jacare, terere in the early 00's and galvao are examples of this, obv. the former 3 are not as fast paced and explosive as the other 3).

This is not to say they are not technical, but their style relies on great physical conditioning (or rather, wouldn't work without it) and even allows them to defeat players who are on technically superior, but with "lesser" conditioning (often individuals who have a predominantly bottom game) for example galvao over braulio, popovitch over marcelo, monson over a lot of people).

would be interested to hear other people's perspectives.

I do remember the commentary during the Weidman Galvao match being insanely biased, since one of the comms trained with Galvao. "Andre's gonna finish him here!" x100

Back