Andre Berto may be decent in MMA...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by GSparky, Sep 1, 2010.

1. GSparky

GSparky Green Belt

What's good everyone, so I was talking to a guy from work that said that Andre Berto used to wrestle, I don't know if it's true because I couldn't find it anywhere but I did read on Wikipedia that his father teaches MMA & his brother competes in MMA.

If the wrestling background is true(Someone please approve or deny that) & his father & brother are deep in MMA, he may have a solid chance if he ever chose to make the switch.

I just wanted to bring that up since the only person we really had an opinion on was Kermit Cintron.

Thanks for Reading!

2. mvan3030

mvan3030 Blue Belt

Why quit a good high paying job for one that pays less?

3. nip102

nip102 Purple Belt

please mma take him i can't stand him

4. Abishai**

Abishai** Black Belt

This is precisely the reason why you will not see top tier boxers in MMA.

5. TexasDrugAddict**

TexasDrugAddict** Silver Belt

I don't know about wrestling but his father is some kind of Martials arts champion and he trained with his father most of his young life until he started boxing. His bother fought in Exlite Xc and lost to Kj Noons. I think he would have a chance to do decent in MMa with him already having some type of training other then Boxing.
    But screw that, I been waiting for him to get a crack at one
    of the top guys for Two yrs and is right on verge of getting that fight. So I want to see what he can do at the top level before he trys out MMA.

6. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Exactly. The ceiling is so much higher in boxing - why would you leave the best paying combat sport to compete in the second best paying one?

7. The Fan Man

The Fan Man Blue Belt

Andre's dad fought in UFC 10 as a karate guy. His oldest brother was a college wrestler. Another brother is a professional MMA fighter who specializes in BJJ. If you combined all of the Bertos into one guy, he'd be an unstoppable killing force.

8. Dragonstyle915

Dragonstyle915 Brown Belt

Well in fairness. How about we re-word that. This is why you wont see a top boxer dedicate him self to MMA 100%.

I respect Randy Couture because he said it. Even after beating James Toney he said if Toney can develope a sprawl and bother learning the grown game just enough to survive he could be a "Boneaffied Mixed Martial Artist" and its true.

At the end of the day they're two differant sports though. Things that work in one dont work in the other. Boxers also develope instincs and habits to perfect their craft in the ring which dont translate well into MMA. Yes- kicks, knees, takedowns, wrestling, Judo throws and BJJ arent used in Boxing but that only makes the forced stand up to become more creative and brutal. It creates differant styles of Boxing depending on the speed, reflexes, punch resistance and punching power of the Boxer.

But anyway. A Boxer is still a human being just like anyone else and I see alot of human beings in MMA succeed. Boxers are not a race of people who are unable to learn other things. Thats a load of you know what.

Jeremy Williams.

9. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

Winner. "Boxers will never make it in MMA." Really? Because Rich Franklin was a teacher and he did just fine.

10. philthy rich**

philthy rich** Yellow Belt

haha great point. boxers simply have to train in the correct areas to fill in the holes

11. JerseyRob

JerseyRob Brown Belt

I used to feel the same way but he is starting to grow in me. I would really like to see him and Shane if Shane gets past Mora which unless he's done he should be able to do.