Anderson's strange losses

People are idiots. Seriously. I like Sonnen but the guy spouts crazy shit and people believe him.

No way was Silva Chonan fixed. Silva was trying to take his head off. You don't do that in a fixed fight. You are correct about Chonan being ahead in the fight. I don't know why so many say Chonan came back.

Silva was losing to Newton also before the ref stood up the fight and Anderson landed a flying knee. Imagine if Newton won. People would try to say it was fixed too

Yes, people are idiots. It's depressing.

He didn't have great BJJ back during his earlier days.
He may have lost to Newton if not for standups.
He got better when he teamed up with the Nog bros.

Even in his UFC career though, it's true that his strangest fights were against elite submission grapplers , win or lose (Leites, Maia, Weidman).

I have a conspiracy theory about the Lutter fight...Serra and Lutter got title shots against guys WAY out of their league. I wonder if they were expected to 'carry' the fight for a bit.

I think he broke his own leg deliberately in the second Weidman fight.

the fight with chonan was kinda crazy because u wanna believe it was a work but if u watch closely, anderson is actually trying, he wasnt taking it easy at all at any point in the fight. He was trying to hurt chonan and chonan is hanging and actually keeping the fight pretty even. I think the flying heel hook scissor was legit.

Hate to say it but the Chonan fight is sketchy. I watched it again last night and its pretty bad... I cant defend it. Anderson looked like he was fighting a 9 year old and letting him win at times...

Well you have to go back 10 years ago for those fights, so It is safe to say that Anderson got way better since then. Also one of those losses was to Ryo Chonan whose win loss record is misleading, he fought alot of really great fighters of the time, and one by a flying scissor heel hook, take a look at that move on you tube it was entirely unpredictable and caught Anderson in a fight that he was winning.

Anderson was losing the fight to Chonan before the sub. Silva claimed to have gone into the fight with a broken foot.
As far as his loss to Takase, he let a slick submission guy get on top of him. Like has been mentioned Anderson has improved his BJJ but more importantly improved his wrestling by leaps and bounds since then. That was still the days before Brazillians felt the need for american wrestling coaches. I'm pretty sure blackhouse was the first team to bring in a wrestling coach, Darell Gohlar.

Yes, people are idiots. It's depressing.

Chonan was not ahead of Silva on the scorecards. It was an extremely close fight with Anderson statistically winning before the submission.

Anderson always had an issue of not taking certain competition seriously. We saw it early in his career and later in his career, which again lead to him losing.

Chonan was not ahead of Silva on the scorecards. It was an extremely close fight with Anderson statistically winning before the submission.
statistically winning? PRIDE didn't really have scorecards. You can only be up on the scorecards in fights that are scored round-by-round, which PRIDE wasn't.

Bearing this in mind, you could make a pretty legitimate argument for either fighter winning had it gone to a decision, because PRIDE's main judging criteria was attempts to finish the fight and they were both trying to. I might be inclined to give it to Anderson by that standard though, Chonan didn't want anything to do with his hands.

and here I thought you might have made a decent thread...

because if you stop to think about it, 3 of his 5 losses were all in unique/strange circumstances...

I mean: How many people lose by flying scissor heel hooks?
Or the two losses to weidman... they are not your typical loss.
I mean, how many people clowns inside the cage and get KTFO?
Or break a leg due to a check?

Those are rare type of losses indeed. too many for a single fighter IMO.

Anderson always had an issue of not taking certain competition seriously. We saw it early in his career and later in his career, which again lead to him losing.

Moronic post after moronic post from you. Anderson lost because his opponents beat him....not because he didn't take them seriously. He is the greatest MW of all time but even the best lose sometimes. Anderson just happened to lose to way lesser competition 3 times in his career. 2 times to guys that have fought at LW and 1 guy that has fought at WW

Anderson was injured against Chonan he was clearly winning the fight up until the rare submission maneuver that I have yet see done in current MMA. Against Takase he wasn't really training BJJ at the time then again his ground game has never really been his strongest attribute which is why Weidman was capable of having his way with Anderson IMO. The fact that Weidman was confident in being able to take Anderson down at any point of the fight and land some good punches perhaps fucked with Anderson mentally. There's many factors in to why Anderson lost both fights obviously.

That's it. He didn't lose because his opponents were simply better than him. Hope this gives you some comfort

Back