Anderson vs Sakurai is the most underrated victory in MMA....Anderson was a two division champion.

The Blob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So some people may not remember, but Hayato Sakurai around mid 2001 was ranked the #6 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He was the clear cut best Welterweight in any promotion, and had an outstanding, undefeated record of 18-0-2. The majority of these wins were finishes, including a KO win over Frank Trigg and a win over Luiz Azeredo (who had already beat Anderson). He was a well rounded fighter who could submit you from a myriad of positions or knock you out, and even had a victory by toe hold.

Anderson at the time was a pretty much unknown Welterweight and sported a good, but not spectacular record of 6-1. Anderson's victory was a huge upset, especially when many considered this to be a fairly easy warm up fight for Sakurai as he prepared to fight in the UFC (which he would end up doing anyway). Anderson won the Shooto Middleweight title as a result (170lbs, so today's WW).

When the topic of two division champions comes up, Anderson's name never gets brought up. I know he didn't win the 170 title in the UFC, but the truth is that Anderson at one point in time decisively beat the man who was considered the best in the world at that weight. The fact that he also ended up as the most dominant MW of all time is remarkable.

This was happened shortly before Hughes became a household name in the UFC, and I think it would've been very interesting to see a young Anderson vs Matt.

This is probably the most forgotten great victory in MMA history, and a true testament to Anderson's greatness.

He could’ve been a 3 division champ but out of respect to Lyoto, never challenged for the LHW title.

4EC41423-D52A-486A-A264-98A48AB7891F.jpeg

Anabolderson owes his success to the needle.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yes people often forget Anderson started off fighting around 170lbs.

Which is weird considering GSP said Anderson was too big to fight... yet he fought Bisping who started his career at 205lbs, while Anderson started his career near 170lbs.

Which is weird considering GSP said Anderson was too big to fight... yet he fought Bisping who started his career at 205lbs, while Anderson started his career near 170lbs.

Bisping isn't very good. Anderson was (and by the time that this fight was being looked at, a lot bigger than his 170lb days).

These were even greater upsets that occurred at the same weight relatively some time close after that fight

c580e5d5778165805342333881a200c2769176376fef2a426e9bd4fd1439eda7

2u3zgjl.jpg

Clearly a "goat" ^

Last edited:

Anderson should have cut to WW then if he could. Calling out a smaller fighter and expecting him to come up to you is not a good look.

Oh good one.

I would post gifs of your hero Conor getting tapped by a Flyweight, a journeyman boxer, and Nate Diaz but I can't be bothered to go back and forth with you because you are a blatant and shameless troll.

Anderson is the most skilled fighter ever, he was way ahead of his time. He might not be considered to have had the best career, but just strictly as a combatant, he had a giant toolbox of techniques.

Oh good one.

I would post gifs of your hero Conor getting tapped by a Flyweight, a journeyman boxer, and Nate Diaz but I can't be bothered to go back and forth with you because you are a blatant and shameless troll.
@PROlogic

<{anton}><{anton}>
{<jordan}

Oh good one.

silva.gif

3ornkb8JBVY4WnccNy.gif

62.gif

Anabolderson owes his success to the needle.

giphy.gif

You people.....if he was indeed juicing.....it’s not like everyone he fought was clean.....Vitor, Henderson, Nate, Chael and on and on and on. It’s like saying that Bonds was only good at baseball because he juiced.....wrong....he was already a HOF and everyone he was playing against was also juicing. Buy a clue and push out all the hate.

Bisping isn't very good. Anderson was (and by the time that this fight was being looked at, a lot bigger than his 170lb days).

Bisping isn't very good? I love when people try to perpetuate that myth. Bisping is very good. Look at his record. Tell me which can he lost to in his career? All of his loses, except maybe the one to Tim Kennedy, are against guys that are considered great/elite fighters.

Rashad
Henderson
Wanderlei
Chael
TrT Vitor
Rockhold
GSP
Kelvin

I can't stand Bisping. But to say he isn't a good fighter, is quite simply a complete load of bullshit.

That
So some people may not remember, but Hayato Sakurai around mid 2001 was ranked the #6 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He was the clear cut best Welterweight in any promotion, and had an outstanding, undefeated record of 18-0-2. The majority of these wins were finishes, including a KO win over Frank Trigg and a win over Luiz Azeredo (who had already beat Anderson). He was a well rounded fighter who could submit you from a myriad of positions or knock you out, and even had a victory by toe hold.

Anderson at the time was a pretty much unknown Welterweight and sported a good, but not spectacular record of 6-1. Anderson's victory was a huge upset, especially when many considered this to be a fairly easy warm up fight for Sakurai as he prepared to fight in the UFC (which he would end up doing anyway). Anderson won the Shooto Middleweight title as a result (170lbs, so today's WW).

When the topic of two division champions comes up, Anderson's name never gets brought up. I know he didn't win the 170 title in the UFC, but the truth is that Anderson at one point in time decisively beat the man who was considered the best in the world at that weight. The fact that he also ended up as the most dominant MW of all time is remarkable.

This was happened shortly before Hughes became a household name in the UFC, and I think it would've been very interesting to see a young Anderson vs Matt.

This is probably the most forgotten great victory in MMA history, and a true testament to Anderson's greatness.

Uuuum that’s a bit of a stretch.

tumblr_nocvpxzzju1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Back