Anderson vs Leites and Maia

Maia has some of the most underrated take downs.

he has only failed to take down 3 guys since coming to the ufc.

Anderson clearly chose to fuck around with them and not go for the kill.

The reason he did not 'go for the kill' was because it would give them the best chance to take him down. He was not going to risk being taken down even if it cost him the finish.

Yes he could have risked going for the finish but they may have got the td and beat him. He fought smart and safe. It is that simple.

It is because he didn't finish a guy who dropped to his but everytime Anderson got close enough to hurt him. He gets way too much hate for that fight.

Honestly, can i just say i have no doubt that Silva could have finished leites and Maia at anytime that fight. IMO he was sending a message to dana.
Maia was a replacement thag shouldnt be been there in the first place and Leites got a lucky title shot. Neither of these guys deserved to be in the octagon with Anderson. And if you think Anderson couldnt finish those guys you might be delusional.

I think the only thing those fights proved is that Silva doesn't have offensive JJ Maia or Leites level (which is understandable, given their grappling credentials) or the necessary sub defence to deal with their ground game and he was scared to engage them on the ground (again, understandable)

Silva obviously was afraid to go for the finish, he wasn't trying to make a point, but that's understandable, the point of hte fight is to take win, not to take needless risks
smart fighting>fighting for an unnecesssary finish

can't really explain the Cote fight though, that was weird

I agree. Not many fighters try or even get the attempt to try and sub Silva. Cote fight was idk happened there.

To this day I don't know how anyone can blame Anderson for the Leites fight

Me either and does anyone remember Chuck Liddell sticking up for Anderson at the post fight press conference? Chuck had that pissed off look on his face. Don't quote me on this, but Chuck was saying Come on what do you want the guy to do it takes two people to fight. Every time he engaged the guy just fell to his back. I think Dana was upset with Anderson after that fight and when Chuck was saying those things Dana was looking at Chuck like damn he's right.

Honestly, can i just say i have no doubt that Silva could have finished leites and Maia at anytime that fight. IMO he was sending a message to dana.
Maia was a replacement thag shouldnt be been there in the first place and Leites got a lucky title shot. Neither of these guys deserved to be in the octagon with Anderson. And if you think Anderson couldnt finish those guys you might be delusional.

I think he could of and maybe he should of but as someone already stated why risk it when you are winning so easily

The reason he did not 'go for the kill' was because it would give them the best chance to take him down. He was not going to risk being taken down even if it cost him the finish.

Yes he could have risked going for the finish but they may have got the td and beat him. He fought smart and safe. It is that simple.

I don't think so. He has ruined much badder men. It was a game to him and he felt like being petty. Dana knew it

No one can know for sure the real intentions of Anderson Silva.

Of course Thale Leites and his camp would say Anderson Silva couldn't finish him, because it is humiliating to be "spared" a finish during a title fight. It's kind of like hyping yourself.

Oh and at least he has some variation to his strikes though, a little more entertaining than jabbing.

he wasnt trying to to prove a point.
more like he was trying to pull some Roy Jones Jr-esque showboating

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. What message could he have been trying to send and is this scenario really more plausible than what I said in the OP? Am I really the delusional one for thinking a fighter wasn't able to finish another one because of the style match up, something that happens all the time btw, instead of thinking that he was trying to send some message, something that never happens btw?

No one can know for sure the real intentions of Anderson Silva.

Of course Thale Leites and his camp would say Anderson Silva couldn't finish him, because it is humiliating to be "spared" a finish during a title fight. It's kind of like hyping yourself.

Oh and at least he has some variation to his strikes though, a little more entertaining than jabbing.

The Leites camp said that Silva's excuse doesn't hold up. Silva basically said that he didn't finish Leites because they're friends and he's trained with him before, both of which are said to be false by Leites and his camp.

Seems more like Silva is trying to keep his image intact than Leites.

ive watched the cote fights alot of times...what exactly was going on that was so weird? im assuming u guys are talking about something else other then cotes leg injury? other then that weird fluke i didnt notice anything odd...

I don't think so. He has ruined much badder men. It was a game to him and he felt like being petty. Dana knew it

Which top BJJ guys had he ruined? Lutter, who took him down and put him in very bad spots until he gassed out? Takase? Chonan?

I question your knowledge of Anderson fights.

Fear of the td is a huge game changer for strikers. You do not want to get caught with your weight moving forward as that is the best way for the other guy to score a td, so you keep your weight back and try to not over commit to your punches.

Anderson was fighting smart and safe. He was not going to give Maia and Leites any opportunity to take him down even if meant he was not likely to finish them.

To this day I don't know how anyone can blame Anderson for the Leites fight

I sure as hell don't, when the challenger is basically screaming "GET IN MY GUARD!" without even working for TDs, the champ gets a pass.

You know what would have impressed me?

If Anderson had circled, thrown a jab, circled, thrown another jab, thrown a Superman punch that missed (but got good hang time while throwing it), and then if he were to suddenly change levels and get a TD. If Anderson had done that for 10 rounds against Leites and Maia I would have been so impressed. That's what a true champ and P4P great does, they win 10-9 rounds.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. What message could he have been trying to send and is this scenario really more plausible than what I said in the OP? Am I really the delusional one for thinking a fighter wasn't able to finish another one because of the style match up, something that happens all the time btw, instead of thinking that he was trying to send some message, something that never happens btw?

Yes I think you are delusional for thinking that. go back and re-watch the fights, Anderson was hiding behind mirgliotta, and doing other sorts of crazyness during the fight, it was pretty clear he was toying with Maia. Maia was a replacement and didnt even earn a title shot, and is now a WW.
go back and re-watch the fight, Andy was throwing 1 strike at a time, not even trying, if Anderson turned it up to 50% from 20% , it would have been bedtime for Maia in the first. Even Dana thought the same thing after the fight, he said "if your that good, finish him and get it over and done with".
IF you are trying to say Silva was struggling to finish Maia, that is delusional IMO.

The Leites fight was basically the same deal, I HIGHLY doubt that a guy that isnt even in the UFC anymore Silva struggled to finish. Silva has made quick work of MUCH MUCH MUCH better fighters then Leites , yet your saying Silva couldnt finish him.

This goes back to what Dana White was said in an interview a while back, saying "the fans and media dont grasp how damn good Anderson is".

Anderson Silva is ridiculously ridiculously good fighter, he toys with UFC fighters, he pulls out moves from a movie and knocks people out with him.
Anderson is really THAT good.

ive watched the cote fights alot of times...what exactly was going on that was so weird? im assuming u guys are talking about something else other then cotes leg injury? other then that weird fluke i didnt notice anything odd...
I saw it today and I concur. He landed a knee and a kick to Cote's face in the first and was landing on him through the second. It wasn't a massacre like his other opponents but he was working more than he did against Leites and Maia.
Yes I think you are delusional for thinking that. go back and re-watch the fights, Anderson was hiding behind mirgliotta, and doing other sorts of crazyness during the fight, it was pretty clear he was toying with Maia. Maia was a replacement and didnt even earn a title shot, and is now a WW.
go back and re-watch the fight, Andy was throwing 1 strike at a time, not even trying, if Anderson turned it up to 50% from 20% , it would have been bedtime for Maia in the first. Even Dana thought the same thing after the fight, he said "if your that good, finish him and get it over and done with".
IF you are trying to say Silva was struggling to finish Maia, that is delusional IMO.

The Leites fight was basically the same deal, I HIGHLY doubt that a guy that isnt even in the UFC anymore Silva struggled to finish. Silva has made quick work of MUCH MUCH MUCH better fighters then Leites , yet your saying Silva couldnt finish him.

This goes back to what Dana White was said in an interview a while back, saying "the fans and media dont grasp how damn good Anderson is".

Anderson Silva is ridiculously ridiculously good fighter, he toys with UFC fighters, he pulls out moves from a movie and knocks people out with him.
Anderson is really THAT good.

I saw the fights right before making this thread so I think I remember them a little better than you do(unless you also saw them today).

It has more to do with their styles than it does how they rank. Like I said, these are two BJJ with sub par striking and they lack explosive takedowns. Anderson is a counter striker so for him to beat these guys he had to get them to commit to some strikes but for the most part they didn't and attempted shitty takedowns and flopped to their backs. You could see Anderson had no respect for their striking but he made sure they didn't get their hands on him so they couldn't their BJJ.

Do you think the stylistic similarities between Leites and Maia is a coincidence?

people think anderson wasn't toyign with maia? lmfao.

Yes and no. He was clearly in no danger and was going out of his way to taunt them but I strongly believe the reason he was doing so wasn't to send a message or to prove a point but rather to get Leites and Maia to commit to strikes so he could counter them.

Back