Anderson Silva lost a lot of GOAT status and estimation last few years

I still maintain that he had the best timing when it comes to striking of anyone who has ever done it. And perfect technique. he was also fully capable on the ground.
Now whenever Rogan or the forum talks GOATs he's pretty much forgotten.
It's normal for people to forget the greats of old.
That is true for every sport.
I recall last year when LeBron won with the Lakers, most announcers deemed him GOAT.
And it was the same with Mike. Most almost forgot Magic existed. Or Bird. Or Kareem. Or Russell.
It's the nature of things. What matters is the now.

.... though Rogan is a clown. He deems almost anyone GOAT. Until the next subject comes up.

The PED test failure affected my view of him as GOAT, but his losses in recent years didn’t. Taking his career at face value, what he accomplished was amazing. His legacy was set before the Weidman loss. Nothing that’s happened since affected that imo.

I still maintain that he had the best timing when it comes to striking of anyone who has ever done it. And perfect technique. he was also fully capable on the ground.
No he's GOAT 185 and on the UFC's Mt. Rushmore.

Losses at the end of someone's career doesn't erase what they did. Fedor is still the GOAT HW despite his late career losses.

Rogan and the forum are synonymous with fickle and flavour of the month in regards to "greatness".

People don't realise how great he was cause they argue his opposition was much weaker. It was but it wouldn't have mattered. The guy could win titles in all sports involving striking. He was a real life Bruce Lee.
The reality is that the competition at MW during the Anderson Silva era was very sub par. Silva was great, one of the top 5 GOAT IMO, but his competition still sucked for the most part and his problems with Sonnen showed that Silva did have some holes in his game. It's not like Sonnen was super elite.

He had Conor McGregors level of striking 5 years before Conor had it. Truly a great of his time.

I don't think I would compare Anderson's striking to Conor's. In his prime, Anderson was much better than Conor ever was.

Just my opinion.

He had Conor McGregors level of striking 5 years before Conor had it. Truly a great of his time.
He was WAY better striker than McGregor! Conor can box and that is it. Spider had way more deadly kicks, knees, elbows, not even close in my opinion. Check out his KO of Belfort, or his upward elbow KO of Tony Frykland [I think]. Best MMA striker ever.

I havent always been Anderson's biggest fan,but him hanging around after the weidman losses,and not being afraid to fight elite fighters in his old age,and still being spooky enough that he may lose but they wont knock him out. He has my respect.

Rogan has always been a prisoner of the moment. When Jones was wrecking everyone, Rogan said he was clearly the GOAT. When MM was smashing opponents, suddenly he was the most perfect fighter we've ever seen. Now it's Khabib's turn. Don't read too much into anything Rogan says.

And the forums are far too populated with trolls and new fans who don't have any understanding/context for what they're watching. So don't put too much stock into the forums, either.

That being said, Anderson also hurt his stock with the PEDs. I suspect that plenty of educated fans who would other have Anderson in the GOAT conversation leave him out because of the PEDs (myself included).

He never tested the waters of LHW. Years went by and never faced Jon Jones.

Fucking hate Dana for this.

This forum has a lot of Silva haters. He doesn’t get nearly as much hate elsewhere.
Usual fans of other "GOAT" candidates. I hope Khabib, GSP, Fedor etc never get busted or outed for PEDs. The Anti-Steroid self-righteous moral crusaders in their fan bases might need to be put on suicide watch.

I think he's still almost unanimously in people's top 3s, at very worst top 5. Personally I have him #2 behind Fedor.
This. If he’s not in your top five for any reason but PEDs you are just a hater

Let’s not forget the PEDs. I loved watching The Spider fight but PED failures gotta disqualify you from goat status.
Then I hope you don't consider anyone from the pre-USADA era a goat of anything. The idea that anyone who fought in the USADA era and has tested clean was always clean (or is even still clean-there are plenty of ways to avoid getting caught) is laughable.

Back