Anderson Silva lost a lot of GOAT status and estimation last few years

Swepingright

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still maintain that he had the best timing when it comes to striking of anyone who has ever done it. And perfect technique. he was also fully capable on the ground.
Now whenever Rogan or the forum talks GOATs he's pretty much forgotten.

I still maintain that he had the best timing when it comes to striking of anyone who has ever done it. And perfect technique. he was also fully capable on the ground.
Now whenever Rogan or the forum talks GOATs he's pretty much forgotten.
He’s still monumental to the sport. He’s the reason I started watching. He’s the reason a lot of us started watching.

I think he's still almost unanimously in people's top 3s, at very worst top 5. Personally I have him #2 behind Fedor.

It's been a while since I've heard him mentioned in pound for pound discussion. Granted that he lost twice in his prime, which does hurt him but still nobody comes close to his level.

The fact that his base was striking should also be given its due respect. It's way easier being an elite, dominant grappler.

He’s still monumental to the sport. He’s the reason I started watching. He’s the reason a lot of us started watching.

People don't realise how great he was cause they argue his opposition was much weaker. It was but it wouldn't have mattered. The guy could win titles in all sports involving striking. He was a real life Bruce Lee.

Anderson Silva lost a lot of GOAT status and estimation last few years

tenor.gif

Yep. Steroids will do that.

My biggest gripe with his GOAT status was that he ducked LHW at the time when he became enemy #1 of Chute Boxe.

He's an 11 time champion over the span of 6 years...

He's an 11 time champion over the span of 6 years...
2,457 days. Almost 7 years. 16 straight wins and the longest reign ever. A couple of those wins were above his weight class. Yet, we hear about guys winning 3 big fights nowadays, and they’re anointed that status. I usually stay out of these threads, because of the hate Silva gets around here.

It's been a while since I've heard him mentioned in pound for pound discussion. Granted that he lost twice in his prime, which does hurt him but still nobody comes close to his level.

The fact that his base was striking should also be given its due respect. It's way easier being an elite, dominant grappler.

When?

The MMA community is notorious for being focused on current trajectory. Silva fell off after his loss to Weidman so to many people he became the new "never that good" victim. It's hard to find people who respect history and don't just follow the current flow and call everything new the best ever so that's probably why he doesn't get much praise at the forefront anymore since he quickly became irrelevant after his loss and it was clear he wasn't ever going to be the same. Educated people will still always regard him as an all-time great even if it's not brought up a lot.

Back