Anderson Retirement & Fights Never Made

Anderson vs GSP's father - Jean Claude Van Damme

You need to do a little more than dominating the MW division to be the GOAT.

Who do you consider the best ever?

GSP? Dominating opponents but never finishing.

Fedor? Possibly the greatest HW ever but he didn't fight too many elite HWs.

Henderson/Couture/Shogun? Elite names on your resume make you great but the numerous losses stop them from being the GOATs.

Chuck/Wandy? Dominated LHW for years but didn't know when to call it quits.

BJ? I'm not even going to bother.

Jones? He COULD be but you can't say that until he's approaching the end of his career to know for sure.

Anderson Silva? 4 losses, 1 which he got caught, and 1 which he got DQ'd in a fight he was winning. He has destroyed numerous elite fighters (Just because they aren't elite or top 10 now doesn't mean they weren't then)

1st and only person to KO vitor
1st and only person to stop Bonnar
3rd person to submit Henderson
1st and only person to TKO Marquardt
1st and only person to KO Forrest with a JAB
1st person to KO Leben
Only person to beat and KO prime Franklin 2 times

How can you not say he is the greatest? Whether you hate him or not it's not arguable, he's the greatest, Henderson and Fedor are the only ones who come close but in the 10 years Fedor went undefeated he should have fought more top guys than just Cro Cop and Nog. Henderson's record has losses to fighters in different weights along with fights he should have won, he came back to the UFC and lost 2 straight to the #1 LHW and #1 MW at the time (Rampage and Anderson) and then went to Strikeforce and lost to Jake Shields...

Who is the greatest?

MMA fights I wish would happen:
Dan Severn vs. Rickson Gracie
Royce Gracie vs. Dan Severn II
Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia V, VI, VII, VIII, IV, X, and LLLLLLLLLLXXXVIII (all the fights between 10 and that one suck!).
Prime Mark Coleman vs. Prime Wanderlei Silva
Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko
Dan Henderson vs. Shogun Rua II
BJ Penn vs. Takori Gomi II
Uriah Faber vs. a belt
Joe Rogan vs. Steven Seagal
Jackie Chan vs. Chuck Norris
Dana White vs. Bob Arum
Anderson Silva vs. Bob Arum
Jon Jones vs. Bob Arum
Prime Mirko Cro Cop vs. Prime Mike Tyson (with some MMA training; btw, Tyson is a huge MMA fan last I checked)
Jose Aldo vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Cain Velasquez vs. any pro wrastler (including a rematch with folding chair Lesnar)
Don Frye vs. Matt Hughes
Frank Shamrock vs. Ken Shamrock
Brock Lesnar vs. A folding chair that can do excellent interpretive dances
Colonial Sanders vs. Ronald McDonald
BJ Penn vs. a Quintuple Decker Cheeseburger with everything imaginable on it

Last edited:
^^^^

Bigfoot Silov vs. Roy Nelson
Bob Sapp vs. Roy Nelson

Who do you consider the best ever?

GSP? Dominating opponents but never finishing.

Henderson/Couture/Shogun? Elite names on your resume make you great but the numerous losses stop them from being the GOATs.

Chuck/Wandy? Dominated LHW for years but didn't know when to call it quits.

BJ? I'm not even going to bother.

Jones? He COULD be but you can't say that until he's approaching the end of his career to know for sure.

Anderson Silva? 4 losses, 1 which he got caught, and 1 which he got DQ'd in a fight he was winning. He has destroyed numerous elite fighters (Just because they aren't elite or top 10 now doesn't mean they weren't then)

1st person to KO Leben

How can you not say he is the greatest? Whether you hate him or not it's not arguable, he's the greatest, Henderson and Fedor are the only ones who come close but in the 10 years Fedor went undefeated he should have fought more top guys than just Cro Cop and Nog. Henderson's record has losses to fighters in different weights along with fights he should have won, he came back to the UFC and lost 2 straight to the #1 LHW and #1 MW at the time (Rampage and Anderson) and then went to Strikeforce and lost to Jake Shields...

Who is the greatest?

The difference to me is that Fedor did have these massive matches and that tends to make the rest of his career pale somewhat. Guys like Coleman, Herring, Semmy, Babalu, Semmy, Fujita, Randleman, Sylvia and AA were all considered elite but the reality is that the Pride HW division was dominated by Fedor, Nog, Crocop and to a lesser degree Barnett.

The weakness and disorganisation of the MW division for me means that Hendo is really the only guy to come close and even then I don't think you can say he was that dominant at the time coming off a loss to Rampage and having several previous loses and close decisions.

Andersons career defining fights were always going to be at LHW and unfortunately for whatever reason he's never steped up and taken them. What he has going for him is IMHO the most extreme hype of any fighter in MMA history, far far more than Fedor ever got in Pride or afterwards.

He fought more dangerous opponents than Silva, and they were guys who were looking good, not comming off losses or guys who had no top wins.

1st person to KO Leben

1st person to stop a retired unranked fighter, is that supposed to be impressive?

All of those are irrelevant.

Who is the greatest?

For the following reasons: he fights in a division in which guys are given title shots for free, guys with no top wins, with no fights at 185 and coming off losses fought Anderson for the title. Anderson is a great fighter but competition matters. Still to this day, he hasn't tested himself in deep waters.

For the following reasons: he fights in a division in which guys are given title shots for free, guys with no top wins, with no fights at 185 and coming off losses fought Anderson for the title. Anderson is a great fighter but competition matters. Still to this day, he hasn't tested himself in deep waters.

Thats pretty much it to me, its not that I don't believe he has the potential to win these fights but if they don't happen then I can't personally consider him the GOAT.

Back