Anderson has top 5 wins in 3 different weight classes

His lhw wins over bonner and griffin are really two of the best wins for any of the modern mma greats.

Have you actually seen that fight? It was pretty close. Hell if Shooto was judged like PRIDE was then I'd give it to Mach.

Sakurai got dominated on the ground with back control towards the end, I don't remember the fight being too close. But it's been a while since I watched it.

Sakurai got dominated on the ground with back control towards the end, I don't remember the fight being too close. But it's been a while since I watched it.
Yeah Silva's back control was pretty fuggin legit even in those days (he had it on a good grappler in Alexander Otsuka for like 3 straight minutes iirc?), but Mach took him down a good few times as well and the striking was not actually that one-sided.

He got bigger, so it's irrelevant. It's not like he moved up and faced adversity. He was actually the bigger man in most of his fights. Even at 205, he was never greatly outsized, and he fought some of the biggest LHW's at the time. Plus he never fought elite competition there.

Let big Nog tell you:

If anything, refusing to move up (cut less) in order to make 205 and fight elite competition cost him a few points in GOAT discussions.

Nogs comments prove nothing, 210 isn't huge for a mw...I'm sure he is a lot bigger and stronger than he was fighting at 170.

There's a fair few 200 lb WW on the ufc roster - no one is clamoring for them to go fight MW let along LHW. What Anderson has done is very impressive, even if you make it your mission to not acknowledge it.

There is a good chance BJ could get a big win in three weight classes if he beats frankie. Fedor also didn't fight in three weightclasses because he just went straight to HW like the gangster he is. Also, fought SHW, one even had a decent rankings(thinking Hunt was over 265 and ranked at the time).

He got bigger, so it's irrelevant. It's not like he moved up and faced adversity. He was actually the bigger man in most of his fights. Even at 205, he was never greatly outsized, and he fought some of the biggest LHW's at the time. Plus he never fought elite competition there.

Let big Nog tell you:

If anything, refusing to move up (cut less) in order to make 205 and fight elite competition cost him a few points in GOAT discussions.

The same principle applies to JBJ.

This is one of the main points I use in goat discussions. Anderson(peace be upon him) has beaten:
-#1 Sakurai at 168lbs when he was an unknown novice(a truly remarkable win that is sadly forgotten in the man's legacy)
-obviously a ton of top 5 wins at mw
-#4 lhw Griffin in an unforgettable blitz.

Who can name another fighter who has ever done this? We can discuss the relevance and compare it to Anderson's(pbuh) wins who are all top notch.
Machida has top ten wins at HW, LHW, and MW.

He fought BJ Penn at HW.
Not really, it was an openweight fight where BJ weighed in at 190-ish and Machida was at 230. Penn would only have been ranked at WW for his blow-out of Hughes if at all.

HA. GSP has way better wins on his resume. If anything it shouldn't be up for discussion the other way. Or Fedor. Jones better resume too

Anderson has finished 6 fighters since GSP last finished someone - and he is considerably older. Don't preach to us about GSPs wrestling resume.

He fought BJ Penn at HW.
First, it was open weight. BJ weighed in at 191.

Second, BJ has never been ranked at HW lol. What the hell universe are you living in that BJ Penn was ever a ranked HW? lol

He was so selective with fights at LHW that I can't really weigh his wins there too heavily in a GOAT discussion. Most champs should be able to beat at least one top 5 fighter at the weight above them, especially if they're getting tailor-made matchups.

In a division where Lutter was a top tier talent, it doesn't really matter how many top MW wins he achieved.

U can apply that logic to every weight division and make champs and their wins look weak.

First, it was open weight. BJ weighed in at 191.

Second, BJ has never been ranked at HW lol. What the hell universe are you living in that BJ Penn was ever a ranked HW? lol
He was top ten at WW, that's why I said that. And I thought the fight was at HW since Machida weighed 235.

Back